Re: Money???

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
      My published plan is that APRSISCE/32 was free, is free, and (hopefully) will always be free.  Interestingly, I received an e-mail in the past few days from a user suggesting that I split it into a "free" and "premium" version and charge upwards of $50 for the extra features.  I haven't replied to that individual yet, but that's not happening.  My intent is that all features that are implemented will be on both platforms (space and performance permitting).

      And the next question is "what happens when you become SK or lose interest"?  Again, my published plan is to find a developer willing to pick up the development or at least maintenance and hand over the development reigns.  If a willing person cannot be found, the source code will be published as Open Source and be available to anyone that is interested.  My family is aware of this desire and has enough resources to be able to carry it out, given a reasonable time for recover, of course.

      Thanks for the suggestion that I try UI-View and all of it's add-ons, but I'll pass on that one.  My goal isn't to replicate what's been done before, but to bring a new look, feel, and utility to an APRS client.  I'm sure that when UI-View came out, people (especially Bob) were screaming about the features that were different there from APRSdos, especially the lack of instant visibility to station capabilities (messaging and what-not) on the map.  With every new generation comes new implementations and change happens.  Remember the change from Program Manager to the Start Menu in Windows?  I do.

      That said, as other can attest, I'm all ears (er eyes) for FUNCTIONS that people find useful from UI-View.  If anyone suggests that I implement "add-on X", they better be ready to tell me how they USE X, what functions does it provide and/or what information does it deliver.  I'm obviously not looking to clone what's been done before (and am not willing to take the time to look at it personally), but to do it again (possibly differently, and hopefully better) with community input as to the form and function, not the clicks and menus.

      As for ease of RF Port configurations, that's on my list.  Remember, I don't have the years of development behind me that UI-View shows in the area of TNC support.  And I don't have the luxury of looking at his source to find out how he does some of what he did.  My stated goal is that a user should never need to edit the XML file, including for "standard" TNCs.  The default setup for KISS works with Kenwoods, including setting the mode to KISS, but does require the radio to already be in PACKET mode (except the explicit 710 modes thanks to Kai and whoever it was that loaned me a D710 for testing).

      Explicit (default) command scripts will eventually be provided internal to APRSISCE/32.  My plan is that it will also be able to load/convert a UI-View TNC .CMD file to my <Open/CloseCmd> tags.  But, like all other features on my ToDo list, this will take some time to get there.  I'm sure UI-View wasn't born overnight, but grew to the state at which it is now.  APRSISCE/32 is still going through the growing pains.

      Thank you very much for your support as well as your willingness to help others.  That's what has drawn me to Amateur Radio and gives me the motivation to put the kind of time into APRSISCE/32 that it requires.  I'm not retired, nor independently wealth, so I do still have a day job for the $$$ which also dramatically reduces the time available for APRSISCE/32 development.  I also need some time for my YL (she doesn't appreciate the X part of the traditional moniker), so that's even less available for my personal pursuits.  Give me time, give me suggestions, and I'll continue to work towards making this better for everyone.  Demands, expectations, and "you need to do this NOW" tend to have the opposite effect.  Chalk it up to my personality type, but it's something we all have to live with.

      PS.  Please don't anyone take offense at the previous statements.  The typewritten English word doesn't communicate well sometimes.  I'm just trying to make my positions and reasoning and reactions clear, not to cause any ill-will.

      Kevin Bosworth wrote:
      Lynn,
      I have to ask you this question. Are you going to charge money for your prrogram ever??? I think this needs to be addressed. If not, Awsome and great for you and everyone else. If you are planning on a fee I hope it is less than $10. I personally will use UI-View untill it becomes obsolete. But you know I love your program and VERY devoted to it and its spread to others. So let us start with the money thing. And maybe you will post it to the group. I will support you 100% for a $10 or less lifetime fee. I really hope this is not a money thing and an effort to Ham Radio. My Bluetooth project will not make me money, but help others. The fee I will charge, is for parts and assembly only. And if they are disabled like my self, no charge.
      So with that in mind, I can further APRSICE to every Ham that wants to use a better APRS program. But APRSICE has many hurdles to evercome. I am not going to change my UI-VIEW station to APrsisce untill it supports the many add ons out there for UI-View. Lynn, I really think you should try UI-View and ALL the ADD ONs to see what people really like about it. I think APSISCE has come far enoiugh that you won't hurt your own program from influence from UI-View. Need to taste it... Anyway, setting up Aprsisce was a "PAIN" for other words for my friend, Had no help, hints, tips, in the program how to make it work, Good thing I understand it to help my communitee. No disresepect to you Lynn, but would like to know the direction. Talk to ya later.
      Kevin

      Amateur Radio Operator - W7BOZ
      Kevin Bosworth - w7boz@...

    • David Shrum
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011

        Lynn,

        I guess I should have changed the subject line but didn’t quite to change it to, with that said others in the past have asked if you would try and develop APRSISCE for other platforms and you expressed that there were others that were working on developing in that arena. I for one now am one of those that don’t have a windows based mobile phone and couldn’t remember who (web address) you said was working on say like the android aka Linux mobile platform.

        Thanks,

        Dave N8PU

        My published plan is that APRSISCE/32 was free, is free, and (hopefully) will always be free.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
          Android has APRSdroid, http://aprsdroid.org