Re: "A P R Spice"

  • w7boz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
      I like "APR Spice". Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but I call your program "ICE" Or "APRS ICE".
      Kevin
      W7BOZ

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
        ICE is a bit too generic for my taste (no pun intended), even though my
        son (KJ4DXK) also told me he's seen ICE in the name. SPICE is still
        growing on me....

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE...

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
          On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 1:22 AM, w7boz <w7boz@...> wrote:

          > I like "APR Spice". Not sure if anyone has mentioned it,
          > but I call your program "ICE" Or "APRS ICE".

          APRSISCE/32 looks like ICE cubed (^3) to me... I mentioned that to
          Lynn a long time ago.

          Calling the program APRSIS is a bad idea, because people have a hard
          enough time understanding that the APRS-IS is the internet stream
          portion of the worldwide APRS network. The difference between APRS-IS
          and APRSIS is much less apparent that the difference between APRS and
          APRS-IS and APRS-RF.

          The local joke around here is to call the program APRS ABC 123.

          Having to spell out an acronym sucks... spelling out APRS is a pain.
          Adding 7 more characters that have to be spelled out just makes it
          more of a pain.

          There has to be some kind of masochistic streak in all of the software
          developers playing with APRS, as they all have nasty names for their
          programs. But, that's just me... If I were to write some program, I'd
          probably call it "Trotters", and then I'd have to spend countless
          hours explaining that trotters are pigs feet... pigs feet make tracks,
          ham comes from a pig, hence, ham tracks... then Bob would be after me
          because APRS is about much more than tracking!

          Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
          APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
          Information Communications Exchange.

        • Steve D
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011

            I was trying to think of what SPICE could stand for I like “Simplex Packet

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
              James Ewen wrote:

              > Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
              > APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
              > Information Communications Exchange.

              If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym? I like it!

              PS. And if anyone asks a year from now how did SISCE become SPICE, I'll
              just remind them that programmer's aren't particularly known for their
              spelling abilities. :)

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                >>Simplex Packet Information Communications Exchange.
                >>

                > If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym?  I like it!

                There's a fee... I need a lifetime free subscription to all future
                releases of the program.

                I'd drop the APR prefix, and just call it SPICE, an APRS program for
                Windows 32 and CE.

              • ka0azs
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                  I like it!

                  > James Ewen wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
                  > > APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
                  > > Information Communications Exchange.
                  > >

                  > If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym? I like it!

                  > PS. And if anyone asks a year from now how did SISCE become SPICE, I'll
                  > just remind them that programmer's aren't particularly known for their
                  > spelling abilities. :)
                  >

                  > > James
                  > > VE6SRV

                • Randy Love
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                    On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Steve D <sbd64000@...> wrote:

                    SPICE is also a circuit simulation program, but I doubt people would confuse the two

                    Steve

                    G6UIM

                    Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
                    Used it in college back in the late 80's.

                    (Darn, just showed my age again!)

                    Randy
                    WF5X
                  • Randy Love
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011

                      APRSISCE = A P R S eyes-see :)

                      Because, "I spy" doesn't quite work with the 'CE' part...

                      Just another way of looking at it.

                      WF5X

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
                        We use PSPICE here.