D700 Mobile Success

  • ka0azs
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2010
      Had some time today and got APRSIS32 working with the D700 (in PKT mode)in the vehicle, including tracking around the neighborhood.

      As I suspected, I needed to run a separate GPS (I had a spare USB hockey puck GPS around I inherited from somewhere.

      I did try various ways of trying the pull the data through the radio (as APRS +SA does in it's Mode 7), but no luck. As I suspected, once the radio was connected to the Com Port (COM 1), the NMEA port would not connect. I'm assuming this a basic limitation of running the TNC in KISS mode? Had never run KISS until I started using this program, so I'm still learning.

      I did multiple shut downs and restarts to ensure I could recreate the connection. I found I had to connect to the radio with Hyper terminal to issue the KISS ON, RESTART commands, and then start the client (or enable the KISS port).

      The TNC did not always shut down gracefully when I shut down the software. A few times I had to cycle the TNC on the radio through none, TNC APRS and then TNC PKT. At that point I could connect with Hyper Terminal and put it into KISS mode and start the RF port. A simple power cycle did not seem to clear it.

      I found that the GPS port liked to move around (Port 5 once, then Port 3), so a hint to others is if the NMEA port is not connecting, go into the Port Configuration and change the port. Started working right away. Maybe this is old news, but first USB GPS I've used, had always worked through the serial port and the radio before.

      I had hoped to field test this at a public service event tonight, but all of a sudden neither of my inverters want to power my laptop. :-( Always something.

      Thanks Lynn and the group for your patience. I can now run this software in all configurations I've used over the years for daily and special events.

      73 and Happy New Year!

      Randy KA0AZS