"A P R Spice" (was: APRSISCE questions / comments)

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
      Reuben Wells wrote:

      > As an aside ... the name is a mouthful and if you glance at APRSISCE it looks like APRS SPICE. I think "SPICE" is quite fitting, it has certainly bought a bit of zest to APRS :-)

      Spice, hm, that's the best one I've heard so far, and it doesn't require
      a rename of the client. APRSISCE/32 (pronounced A P R SPICE)...

      Feedback from the group? It's a bit English-centric, but then, so is
      the program so far!

      > 73s

      73 and Merry Christmas (the season STARTS on December 25!) and Happy New
      Year (coming sooner to you than to me!)

      > Reuben / M0RXW

    • Steve D
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010

        SPICE is also a circuit simulation program, but I doubt people would confuse the two

        Steve

        G6UIM

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
          That was my first thought as well, but I thought I'd be dating myself to
          mention SPICE the simulation program. Is that still in use? I
          encountered it in my college days in the early 80s. I see it may or may
          not be. SPICE 3 last stable release was July 1993.
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPICE)

          Steve D wrote:
          > SPICE is also a circuit simulation program, but I doubt people would
          > confuse the two
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > G6UIM

        • Rob Giuliano
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2010
            Now there is a new acronym or use of SPICe (Software Process Improvement and Capability Evaluation) in the software industry (at least in automotive).  ISO/IEC standard has yearly meetings on SPICE.

            Something to concider.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            The difference between CW and other digital
            modes comes down to 2 characters:
            ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
            ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

            Steve D wrote:
            > SPICE is also a circuit simulation program, but I doubt people would
            > confuse the two
            >
            > Steve
            >
            > G6UIM

          • w7boz
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
              I like "APR Spice". Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but I call your program "ICE" Or "APRS ICE".
              Kevin
              W7BOZ

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                ICE is a bit too generic for my taste (no pun intended), even though my
                son (KJ4DXK) also told me he's seen ICE in the name. SPICE is still
                growing on me....

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE...

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                  On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 1:22 AM, w7boz <w7boz@...> wrote:

                  > I like "APR Spice". Not sure if anyone has mentioned it,
                  > but I call your program "ICE" Or "APRS ICE".

                  APRSISCE/32 looks like ICE cubed (^3) to me... I mentioned that to
                  Lynn a long time ago.

                  Calling the program APRSIS is a bad idea, because people have a hard
                  enough time understanding that the APRS-IS is the internet stream
                  portion of the worldwide APRS network. The difference between APRS-IS
                  and APRSIS is much less apparent that the difference between APRS and
                  APRS-IS and APRS-RF.

                  The local joke around here is to call the program APRS ABC 123.

                  Having to spell out an acronym sucks... spelling out APRS is a pain.
                  Adding 7 more characters that have to be spelled out just makes it
                  more of a pain.

                  There has to be some kind of masochistic streak in all of the software
                  developers playing with APRS, as they all have nasty names for their
                  programs. But, that's just me... If I were to write some program, I'd
                  probably call it "Trotters", and then I'd have to spend countless
                  hours explaining that trotters are pigs feet... pigs feet make tracks,
                  ham comes from a pig, hence, ham tracks... then Bob would be after me
                  because APRS is about much more than tracking!

                  Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
                  APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
                  Information Communications Exchange.

                • Steve D
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011

                    I was trying to think of what SPICE could stand for I like “Simplex Packet

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                      James Ewen wrote:

                      > Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
                      > APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
                      > Information Communications Exchange.

                      If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym? I like it!

                      PS. And if anyone asks a year from now how did SISCE become SPICE, I'll
                      just remind them that programmer's aren't particularly known for their
                      spelling abilities. :)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                        On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                        <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                        >>Simplex Packet Information Communications Exchange.
                        >>

                        > If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym?  I like it!

                        There's a fee... I need a lifetime free subscription to all future
                        releases of the program.

                        I'd drop the APR prefix, and just call it SPICE, an APRS program for
                        Windows 32 and CE.

                      • ka0azs
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
                          I like it!

                          > James Ewen wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hmm, just thinking about SPICE... Bob should have used that instead of
                          > > APRS as his acronym, much easier to say than APRS. Simplex Packet
                          > > Information Communications Exchange.
                          > >

                          > If I go with APR-SPICE can I use that acronym? I like it!

                          > PS. And if anyone asks a year from now how did SISCE become SPICE, I'll
                          > just remind them that programmer's aren't particularly known for their
                          > spelling abilities. :)
                          >

                          > > James
                          > > VE6SRV

                        • Randy Love
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011
                            On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Steve D <sbd64000@...> wrote:

                            SPICE is also a circuit simulation program, but I doubt people would confuse the two

                            Steve

                            G6UIM

                            Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
                            Used it in college back in the late 80's.

                            (Darn, just showed my age again!)

                            Randy
                            WF5X
                          • Randy Love
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 2, 2011

                              APRSISCE = A P R S eyes-see :)

                              Because, "I spy" doesn't quite work with the 'CE' part...

                              Just another way of looking at it.

                              WF5X

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 3, 2011
                                We use PSPICE here.