Digipeating (was: APRSISCE questions / comments)

    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
      Reuben Wells wrote:
      > 2) Digi-peating
      >
      > - I've taken a look at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/digipeating. I presume the XML tags go in the section for the relevant port, is there anything else to be done?

      The top of the digipeating web page says:

      "Note that <DigiXform> elements are currently only honored OUTSIDE of an
      <RFPort> and are considered to be global in their application."

      That is still true. The long-term goal is to have the rules be
      port-specific (hence the placeholder inside the <RFPort>, but I haven't
      arrived at the long term yet. Once you put the <DigiXforms> into the
      XML file (with the client closed!) and restart, it should be active on
      all RFPorts. Nothing else need be done (of course, Transmitting will
      need to be enabled both at the port and global levels!)

      > Is there anyway to tell which packets have been digipeated from the scrolling display on the left?

      Not currently. That's a good idea, though. Can you tell me how I might
      indicate that in a space-conserving fashion given the data that's
      already encoded in the scrolling stations
      (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)? I just made a fix to
      the digipeater code working with G6UIM so the data behind the scrolling
      station display now actually knows if it's been digipeated or not!

      > - Is it currently possible to receive from one TNC on one frequency and digipeat out via a second TNC on a different frequency? The Wiki page above mentions you are working on this, but I wasn't sure if this was available in a development / beta release.

      I'm actually still trying to figure out a method of configuring such a
      beast where multiple RFPorts are involved and possibly (probably?
      hopefully?) some filtering is also supported, especially if
      cross-porting from a high speed port (9600 or 1200) to a low speed port
      (300) as I'm told was being done (and is still being done?) in Europe
      between VHF and HF.

    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
        This is an interesting topic and one that is probably worthy of its own thread (and more thought than I'm able to give it at this point on New Year's Eve.) But I wonder how much demand there actually is for APRSISCE/32 clients supporting more than one port? Can we do a poll?

        I run VHF and HF gateways as separate APRSIS32 instances and that actually seems the most logical setup for me. There is little or no need for a closer link between them that I can see. Most of the cross-band gating that goes on these days is just a damn nuisance. So if there is no need for it, why allow more than one port per instance? Even javAPRSSrvr only supports one IGate port per instance.

        Personally I think the ideal solution would be to have a single port, with rules that would allow you to specify what packets are gated out to RF. As it stands at the moment, if I receive a message on HF addressed to someone on VHF in my area it will be gated to -IS by the HF instance and then gated out to VHF by the VHF instance. No extra work needed.

        What I would like to see is control over what packets are gated from IS to RF, based on the number of hops and how recently the destination station was last heard. Personally for HF I would only want to gate packets for stations heard direct in the last 15 minutes, if I wanted to do it at all. Any more than that is just adding to the QRM of all the other stations gating the packets. But other people and other bands will have different requirements.

        While we are looking at that I would also like to have an option to gate objects from specific senders to RF, possibly with a path option for the transmitted objects. I believe Xastir has something like that which is used by EchoLink and IRLP node owners to transmit status objects generated by a script on the server running the node.

        So to sum up I don't think you need to support more than one RF port per instance. The folk who do want to do cross band gating on a regular basis as part of the infrastructure are probably doing it using some software that runs as a service in the background and aren't interested in the kind of display APRSISCE provides.

        Julian, G4ILO

        > I'm actually still trying to figure out a method of configuring such a
        > beast where multiple RFPorts are involved and possibly (probably?
        > hopefully?) some filtering is also supported, especially if
        > cross-porting from a high speed port (9600 or 1200) to a low speed port
        > (300) as I'm told was being done (and is still being done?) in Europe
        > between VHF and HF.

      • Colin Catlin
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
          I initially thought multiple RF ports would be good, I personally would ulitimately like to run 2m, 70cm &10m (all with full RxTx capability but not all full time Tx) and possibly 30m (Rx only) but that will be a long way off. But after reading Julians comments and the fact APRSIS32 is very economical with resources, I am more inclined to say multiple instances of APRSIS32 would be the way forward provided they can share things as much as possible without tripping over each other.

          However, if the multiple RF ports on one instance of APRSIS32 would share the one SSID then that could be the deciding factor that would make me fall on one side of the fence.

          So at the moment I would be happy to accept whatever Lynn has planned for us, until I hear more arguements one way or the other.

          73 & Happy New Year to all,
          Colin.

          On 31/12/2010 17:29, g4ilo wrote:

          This is an interesting topic and one that is probably worthy of its own thread (and more thought than I'm able to give it at this point on New Year's Eve.) But I wonder how much demand there actually is for APRSISCE/32 clients supporting more than one port? Can we do a poll?

          I run VHF and HF gateways as separate APRSIS32 instances and that actually seems the most logical setup for me. There is little or no need for a closer link between them that I can see. Most of the cross-band gating that goes on these days is just a damn nuisance. So if there is no need for it, why allow more than one port per instance? Even javAPRSSrvr only supports one IGate port per instance.

          Personally I think the ideal solution would be to have a single port, with rules that would allow you to specify what packets are gated out to RF. As it stands at the moment, if I receive a message on HF addressed to someone on VHF in my area it will be gated to -IS by the HF instance and then gated out to VHF by the VHF instance. No extra work needed.

          What I would like to see is control over what packets are gated from IS to RF, based on the number of hops and how recently the destination station was last heard. Personally for HF I would only want to gate packets for stations heard direct in the last 15 minutes, if I wanted to do it at all. Any more than that is just adding to the QRM of all the other stations gating the packets. But other people and other bands will have different requirements.

          While we are looking at that I would also like to have an option to gate objects from specific senders to RF, possibly with a path option for the transmitted objects. I believe Xastir has something like that which is used by EchoLink and IRLP node owners to transmit status objects generated by a script on the server running the node.

          So to sum up I don't think you need to support more than one RF port per instance. The folk who do want to do cross band gating on a regular basis as part of the infrastructure are probably doing it using some software that runs as a service in the background and aren't interested in the kind of display APRSISCE provides.

          Julian, G4ILO

          > I'm actually still trying to figure out a method of configuring such a
          > beast where multiple RFPorts are involved and possibly (probably?
          > hopefully?) some filtering is also supported, especially if
          > cross-porting from a high speed port (9600 or 1200) to a low speed port
          > (300) as I'm told was being done (and is still being done?) in Europe
          > between VHF and HF.

        • Rob Giuliano
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
            Multiple instances seem to be a very viable opton.  Can the instances be linked together over TCP/IP.

            The example Julian gave:
               "Personally I think the ideal solution would be to have a single port, with rules
               that would allow you to specify what packets are gated out to RF. As it stands
               at the moment, if I receive a message on HF addressed to someone on VHF in
               my area it will be gated to -IS by the HF instance and then gated out to VHF by
               the VHF instance. No extra work needed.

            This works when there is an -IS link, but in a romote area (like where my mother lives), HF to/from VHF would have to be within the computer.  Using TCP/IP, could the 2 instances could talk with each other?  Then to think about filters.

            Robert Giuliano
            KB8RCO

            The difference between CW and other digital
            modes comes down to 2 characters:
            ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
            ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
              On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

              > Multiple instances seem to be a very viable opton.  Can the instances be linked together over TCP/IP.

              This would need to be available to be able to make it usable. There
              are people that use the program on RF, with no TCP/IP access. In the
              Seattle area, they are running 1200 baud on two VHF frequencies, and
              9600 baud on VHF and UHF. If one were to be silly enough to equip
              their vehicle with enough radios to listen to all these frequencies,
              would one have to switch between 4 screens to be able to see all the
              activity? That would be a pain. I would rather like to be able to see
              all activity on one screen. Now, there would need to be a way to
              determine which stations were heard on which port as well. This could
              be as simple as a prefix character in front of the callsign in the
              scrolling station list.

              One of the biggest detractors for the Seattle area is that the four
              frequencies are basically isolated from each other. The 9600 baud
              channels have all the 1200 baud traffic ported, plus there are also
              extra filters added to pull more traffic from the APRS-IS stream onto
              9600 baud. The reverse is not true though. There needs to be some type
              of smart cross-port digipeating rules put in place to allow a subset
              of the 9600 baud traffic to be pushed to 1200 baud. APRSISCE/32 might
              be able to break the barrier, and come up with a routine that allows
              that type of situation. This could really happen inside one instance
              between ports, or as a wedge that sits between multiple instances
              linked locally via TCP/IP.

              However, if it filters between instances, then you'd have some screens
              with differing information based on the cross-port rules. I'd lean
              towards running a single instance with multiple ports. It would be
              interesting to be able to open multiple screens that show the traffic
              on a per port basis too.

              Implementing multiple ports being funneled to a single display screen
              should be the easy part. Making cross-port digipeating work well for
              all situations will need a bit of brain power applied to ensure that
              it works properly without causing problems.

            • Hal Mueller
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
                An EOC or comm van with that many radios is quite reasonable. And in that situation, we want to show one integrated picture, without making the emergency managers think about what freqs are being used by various stations.

                Map cache management gets difficult or creates redundant OSM traffic with multiple instances.

                Hal
                N3YX

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
                  Hal Mueller wrote:
                  > Map cache management gets difficult or creates redundant OSM traffic with multiple instances.

                  APRSISCE/32 support pointing multiple instances to a single OSMTiles
                  directory tree sharing one copy of the tiles. In fact, if you have
                  other software that preserves the OSM tile server's hierarchy and file
                  names, APRSISCE/32 can share map tile cache trees with that software as
                  well.

                • g4ilo
                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
                    You could have a local copy of javAPRSSrvr (like I am running here.) It needn't be connected to -IS, though it would probably be overkill in that situation.

                    Lynn has written of implementing a server within APRSIS32. That would presumably have an interface compatible with javAPRSSrvr so it would be compatible with other software that can connect to -IS. So when that is implemented you would run one master copy that was also the server and the other instances would connect to that.

                    Julian, G4ILO (amazed I can still type. Happy New Year.)

                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:

                    > Multiple instances seem to be a very viable opton.  Can the instances be linked together over TCP/IP.
                    >
                    > The example Julian gave:
                    >    "Personally I think the ideal solution would be to have a single port, with rules
                    >    that would allow you to specify what packets are gated out to RF. As it stands
                    >    at the moment, if I receive a message on HF addressed to someone on VHF in
                    >    my area it will be gated to -IS by the HF instance and then gated out to VHF by
                    >    the VHF instance. No extra work needed.
                    >
                    > This works when there is an -IS link, but in a romote area (like where my mother lives), HF to/from VHF would have to be within the computer.  Using TCP/IP, could the 2 instances could talk with each other?  Then to think about filters.
                    >
                    > Robert Giuliano
                    > KB8RCO

                    > The difference between CW and other digital
                    > modes comes down to 2 characters:
                    > ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
                    > ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

                  • g4ilo
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 31, 2010
                      If there is a justification for gating to a particular frequency then surely it is that the traffic is relevant to that area not that it happened to be received by the other receiver at the same station which is a relatively crude way of determining that.

                      Using APRS-IS as an intermediary might actually permit better coverage as it does not restrict the cross-band repeating to packets that were received at the same location. It could even make more efficient use of RF by cutting down the need for digipeating. It does of course assume that an internet connection is available which I appreciate is not always the case but then a local APRS server could be used to provide the connection between the ports.

                      Julian, G4ILO

                      > On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Multiple instances seem to be a very viable opton.  Can the instances be linked together over TCP/IP.
                      >
                      > This would need to be available to be able to make it usable. There
                      > are people that use the program on RF, with no TCP/IP access. In the
                      > Seattle area, they are running 1200 baud on two VHF frequencies, and
                      > 9600 baud on VHF and UHF. If one were to be silly enough to equip
                      > their vehicle with enough radios to listen to all these frequencies,
                      > would one have to switch between 4 screens to be able to see all the
                      > activity? That would be a pain. I would rather like to be able to see
                      > all activity on one screen. Now, there would need to be a way to
                      > determine which stations were heard on which port as well. This could
                      > be as simple as a prefix character in front of the callsign in the
                      > scrolling station list.
                      >
                      > One of the biggest detractors for the Seattle area is that the four
                      > frequencies are basically isolated from each other. The 9600 baud
                      > channels have all the 1200 baud traffic ported, plus there are also
                      > extra filters added to pull more traffic from the APRS-IS stream onto
                      > 9600 baud. The reverse is not true though. There needs to be some type
                      > of smart cross-port digipeating rules put in place to allow a subset
                      > of the 9600 baud traffic to be pushed to 1200 baud. APRSISCE/32 might
                      > be able to break the barrier, and come up with a routine that allows
                      > that type of situation. This could really happen inside one instance
                      > between ports, or as a wedge that sits between multiple instances
                      > linked locally via TCP/IP.
                      >
                      > However, if it filters between instances, then you'd have some screens
                      > with differing information based on the cross-port rules. I'd lean
                      > towards running a single instance with multiple ports. It would be
                      > interesting to be able to open multiple screens that show the traffic
                      > on a per port basis too.
                      >
                      > Implementing multiple ports being funneled to a single display screen
                      > should be the easy part. Making cross-port digipeating work well for
                      > all situations will need a bit of brain power applied to ensure that
                      > it works properly without causing problems.
                      >
                      > James
                      > VE6SRV

                    • Reuben Wells
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                        Thanks Lynn for the confirmation regarding the DigiXform tags, I saw the placeholders in the RFPort elements in the XML file. I will give this a go.

                        Regarding the indication that a packet has been digipeated in the scrolling display, can you just show a black diamond with a D in it, next to the call sign.

                        Reuben / M0RXW

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                          I like that suggestion! I could possibly replace the * (heard on RF)
                          with a digipeater symbol, possibly faded or smaller than the real
                          station's symbol. I like it unless someone suggests something even better!

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                            I like it!
                            Small diamond would work.

                            However, if it simpler, you could use ASCII char 235 (delta) - upper case would probably be better.
                            Those are my thoughts.

                            Reuben Wells wrote:

                            > Thanks Lynn for the confirmation regarding the DigiXform tags, I saw
                            > the placeholders in the RFPort elements in the XML file. I will give
                            > this a go.
                            >
                            > Regarding the indication that a packet has been digipeated in the
                            > scrolling display, can you just show a black diamond with a D in it,
                            > next to the call sign.
                            >
                            > Reuben / M0RXW
                            >
                            > --
                            >
                            > > Is there anyway to tell which packets have been digipeated from the
                            > scrolling display on the left?
                            > >

                            > Not currently. That's a good idea, though. Can you tell me how I might
                            > indicate that in a space-conserving fashion given the data that's
                            > already encoded in the scrolling stations
                            > (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)? I just made a fix to
                            > the digipeater code working with G6UIM so the data behind the scrolling
                            > station display now actually knows if it's been digipeated or not!

                          • kd4dra
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                              Isn't the program doing that now ...cause when I see the * I know its RF ...and sometimes it may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
                              does that mean it was digi that many times...or what, does it mean?

                              Rick
                              KD4DRA

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                                The * means that it was received via RF. The number after the *
                                indicates how many times (>1) the packet was heard, total between RF and
                                APRS-IS. So, if it's your own station's callsign, and there's a *, it
                                means a digipeat was heard.

                                However, in retrospect, the topic of discussion was indicating which of
                                the packets were digipeated BY your own station. In this situation, the
                                * means it was received over RF and the new indicator would add that it
                                was also digipeated back out over RF.

                                kd4dra wrote:

                                > Isn't the program doing that now ...cause when I see the * I know its
                                > RF ...and sometimes it may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
                                > does that mean it was digi that many times...or what, does it mean?
                                >

                                > */
                                > /*
                                > */Rick/*
                                > */KD4DRA/*

                              • Steve D
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011

                                  Well my screen rushes by so quickly the only thing I get to know is that my feeds are working.

                                  If possible either mouse over to pause the feed or an option to select APRS-IS RF or both showing would be good

                                  Steve

                                  G6UIM

                                  kd4dra wrote:

                                  > Isn't the program doing that now ...cause when I see the * I know its
                                  > RF ...and sometimes it may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
                                  > does that mean it was digi that many times...or what, does it mean?
                                  >

                                  > */
                                  > /*
                                  > */Rick/*
                                  > */KD4DRA/*

                                  Windows Mobile and Win32

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                                    Under consideration. The original intent of the scrolling stations log
                                    was exactly that, to show that the feed was working. It was only later
                                    that it became an entry point to additional information about the
                                    station and/or packet that put the station there.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                                      I like that idea also Lynn, someway to slow it down without dropping the coverage area to 50 miles...Thanks

                                      Rick
                                      KD4DRA

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 1, 2011
                                        My additional comment would be only show 1 callsign-ssid combo.  Seeing a string of my own callsign (no received stations, just my transmit) really doesn't give me any more information than having my callsign show only once.

                                        I think someone else suggested replacing it with a list of heard callsigns with the most recent at the bottom.  That would mean any callsign-ssid combo would only appear once.
                                        There goes my 2 cents.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 2, 2011
                                          Is APRS very busy where you are or do you have a full feed or a very large area filter?

                                          Julian, G4ILO

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 2, 2011
                                            I've always used the APRS-IS filter to limit what I see. It doesn't make sense to me on VHF particularly to have an RF-only list as there are a lot of stations quite near to me that I would never see. If we are to have a way to filter the stations in the list then it would be nice to have MHeard, heard over RF in the last x minutes with the most recent at the top. An option to filter by distance from Me would also be useful.

                                            Julian, G4ILO

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                                              My interest currently for New England:
                                              Port for APRS - plain Jane.
                                              Port for ISS. This should be coupled to tracking software so transmitting is OFF when the ISS is not overhead.
                                              Port for 30M, each flavor? Any output on 30M should be tightly controlled.

                                              From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of g4ilo

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                                                Maybe the answer is more of a "stop now". This gives half a chance of clicking on a station.
                                                Restarting could just start by clearing the list and start filing it again since all the previous data is old.

                                                Or maybe a CTRL-P to start and stop scrolling the list. That was the old DOS key right? If it doesn't not clear the list, Lynn would have to save the list for continuing where it was stopped and it would quickly catch up. Clearing and re-starting the list may be simpler.

                                                Fred

                                                Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...>
                                                href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                                                Sent: Sat, January 1, 2011 7:00:23 PM
                                                > Subject: Re: [aprsisce]
                                                Digipeating

                                                href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] *On
                                                > > Behalf Of *Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                                > > *Sent:* 01 January
                                                2011 21:28
                                                > > *To:*
                                                href="mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com">aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                                                > > *Subject:* Re: [aprsisce] Digipeating
                                                > >

                                                > > The * means that it was received
                                                via RF. The number after the *
                                                > > indicates how many times (>1) the
                                                packet was heard, total between RF and
                                                > > APRS-IS. So, if it's your
                                                own station's callsign, and there's a *, it
                                                > > means a digipeat was
                                                heard.

                                                > > However, in retrospect, the topic of discussion
                                                was indicating which of
                                                > > the packets were digipeated BY your own
                                                station. In this situation, the
                                                > > * means it was received over RF and
                                                the new indicator would add that it
                                                > > was also digipeated back out
                                                over RF.

                                                > > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for
                                                Windows Mobile and Win32

                                                > > kd4dra wrote:
                                                > > >

                                                > > > Isn't the program doing that now
                                                ...cause when I see the * I know its
                                                > > > RF ...and sometimes it
                                                may have a 1,2,or3 beside it...
                                                > > > does that mean it was digi
                                                that many times...or what, does it mean?

                                                > > > */
                                                > > > /*

                                                */Rick/*

                                                *From:* Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...

                                                href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)? I just made a fix to

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011

                                                  Yes a stop now would do, but some sort of filter would be better. Even a filter string similar to that on the aprs-is feed setup.

                                                  I have a wide setting on my IS feed as I like to watch a wide area. It does mean the screen flies by in a blur.

                                                  Steve

                                                  G6UIM

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                                                    "Flies by in a blur" is what you get if you connect to a full feed
                                                    port. It communicates the fact that the feed is working or not, and can
                                                    give a relative idea of the kinds of stations running in the world, but
                                                    it's completely useless for other information gathering let alone
                                                    clicking on a particular station.

                                                    I'm leaning towards an APRS-IS-like filter setting for what shows up
                                                    there with a default of everything. Implementation of that will have to
                                                    wait until I actually implement an APRS filter module which I'll be
                                                    wanting for downstream APRS feeds as well as possible -IS to RF filtering.

                                                    It'll get there eventually, but don't hold your breath for this one,
                                                    there's a lot more to it than the little quickies I've been pushing
                                                    out. It will give a nice visual indication of the filter operation
                                                    though. Handy for debugging the filter feed.

                                                    PS. I've almost got an FTM-350 parser done, but again ran out of
                                                    focused time to finish it. I really wish these devices would either
                                                    just to KISS (which provides wonderful delimiters at the start and end
                                                    of each packet and a well-defined payload in between) or a single
                                                    newline-delimited, humanly-readable packet option like the actual
                                                    APRS-IS stream. This business of multi-line (guess where the packet
                                                    starts and ends) with []-delimited timestamps and <>-delimited header
                                                    information is for the birds! As much as I've shied away from UI-View,
                                                    the TNC interface code is the one bit that I wish I had access to! I
                                                    can just see Roger commiserating with me after he had to have gone
                                                    through the same agonies!

                                                    PPS. Does anyone know if xastir handles all of the different things
                                                    that UI-View does? I could rummage the code, but that'd take some
                                                    time. I know they get a lot of support from the AX.25 network interface
                                                    support and don't necessarily drive the serial ports directly though.

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 3, 2011
                                                      When I want to see more stations, I start a different instance or change a filter. When the data is scrolling by quickly, I have resolved that attempting to click on a station on the side list is pointless. I don't know if a start/stop method makes sense either in this case. Since a stop will produce a stored list that will be up and off the sidebar in milliseconds when restarted. So, I have to ask myself, what am I looking for?

                                                      If it is a particular station, then I start MultiTrack. The station should pop up eventually. I came in every day and started looking for a steam locomotive that had traveled from the NW to St. Louis and back.

                                                      If it is some random station, then I can just poke around the map and get the same result. But, it start/stop was an option, I might use it.

                                                      Fred

                                                      ________________________________
                                                      <kj4erj@...>

                                                      Sent: Sat, January 1, 2011 7:00:23 PM
                                                      > Subject: Re: [aprsisce]
                                                      Digipeating

                                                      > Under consideration. The original intent
                                                      of the scrolling stations log
                                                      > was exactly that, to show that the feed
                                                      was working. It was only later
                                                      > that it became an entry point to
                                                      additional information about the
                                                      > station and/or packet that put the
                                                      station there.

                                                      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for
                                                      Windows Mobile and Win32

                                                      > Steve D
                                                      wrote:

                                                      > > Well my screen rushes by so
                                                      quickly the only thing I get to know is
                                                      > > that my feeds are
                                                      working.

                                                      > > If possible either mouse over to pause the
                                                      feed or an option to select
                                                      > > APRS-IS RF or both showing would be
                                                      good

                                                      > > Steve
                                                      > >
                                                      > > G6UIM

                                                      */Rick/*

                                                      *From:* Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...

                                                      > > > I like that suggestion! I could possibly replace the * (heard on
                                                      RF)
                                                      > > > with a digipeater symbol, possibly faded or smaller than
                                                      the real
                                                      > > > station's symbol. I like it unless someone suggests
                                                      something even
                                                      > > better!
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Lynn
                                                      (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

                                                      Lynn for the confirmation regarding the DigiXform tags, I saw

                                                      idea, though. Can you tell me how I might
                                                      in a space-conserving fashion given the data that's

                                                      already encoded in the scrolling stations
                                                      href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/scrolling-stations)? I just made a fix to
                                                      G6UIM so the data behind the scrolling
                                                      now actually knows if it's been digipeated or not!

                                                    • Tom - KQ5S
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                                        I was looking at my Digi(NOT) log and see:

                                                        WinMain:2011-03-05T12:12:18.542 Unused Hop(WIDE2-2) Has No DigiXform in (N4MSG-10>APTT4,WIDE2-2:>ETV Tower NE Columbia 13.8V 85F)

                                                        What does this mean?

                                                        Also I do not see a log for Digi just Digi(NOT). Do you have to put <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform> in a certain location in the xml file. I have it here:

                                                        <LastWeather>2011-00-05T07:06:00</LastWeather>
                                                        </Object>
                                                        <!--Object[0]-->

                                                        <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>

                                                        <!--Nickname[0]-->

                                                        Tom
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                                          It looks like you have the <DigiXform> in a suitable place. APRSISCE/32
                                                          may relocate it, but at least you have it outside of any record.

                                                          The message about (WIDE2-2) means just what it says. You only have a
                                                          DigiXform for WIDE1-1, not WIDE2-2, so APRSISCE/32 isn't going to
                                                          digipeat a packet whose first unused path component is anything but WIDE1-1.

                                                          As soon as you receive and digipeat a WIDE1-1 packet, the Digi log
                                                          should show up. This is why I suggest telling it to remember those
                                                          Enable statuses so that the logs will be there before they are actually
                                                          needed.

                                                          On 3/5/2011 7:19 AM, Tom - KQ5S wrote:
                                                          > I was looking at my Digi(NOT) log and see:
                                                          >
                                                          > WinMain:2011-03-05T12:12:18.542 Unused Hop(WIDE2-2) Has No DigiXform in (N4MSG-10>APTT4,WIDE2-2:>ETV Tower NE Columbia 13.8V 85F)
                                                          >
                                                          > What does this mean?
                                                          >
                                                          > Also I do not see a log for Digi just Digi(NOT). Do you have to put<DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform> in a certain location in the xml file. I have it here:
                                                          >
                                                          > <LastWeather>2011-00-05T07:06:00</LastWeather>
                                                          > </Object>
                                                          > <!--Object[0]-->
                                                          >
                                                          > <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>
                                                          >
                                                          > <!--Nickname[0]-->
                                                          >
                                                          > Tom

                                                        • Bert Thingy
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jan 27

                                                            Greetings fellow Hams,

                                                            I live close to the Motorway/Channel Tunnel and when, not only private cars but lorries tx their aprs signal I would like to be able digipeat them on via my station and internet.

                                                            I have sorted out how to tx my beacon, but editing the xml file is just beyond me.

                                                            I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
                                                            I'm also have no idea how to ping a station.

                                                            In the days of chalk and slate I ran Ui-View 24/7, but this was set up by a local amateur who has since moved on.

                                                            I have looked on YouTube and in the manual all to no avail for a simple soul like myself.
                                                            The videos by Julian Moss are brilliant but sadly he is now a Silent Key, what a great shame.

                                                            So, any ideas you smart boys or girls out there?

                                                            How about an easy to understand YouTube video?

                                                            Just be aware, I have extremely limited brain box comprehension.  hi hi

                                                            I will add as a footnote that the APRSIS program is brilliant, well done Lynn.

                                                            Colin
                                                            G0PHO

                                                            Details on QRZ.com

                                                            To be able to configure APRSISCE/32 to support digipeating, you will need to shut down the program and edit the XML file.

                                                          • Don Rolph