"Monitoring only" with APRSIS/32?

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
      I do not have a valid callsign at the moment. The next test is January 22nd. Is there any way I can just monitor with this software?

      Scott
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
        Hi Scott,

        Good luck on the testing!

        Without a password, which is generated from a call sign, you will only be able to monitor.

        Fire it up!

        Have fun!
        Fred, N7FMH

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010

          Thank you, Fred!  Is there any windows software available to “listen” to the digital packets coming across 144.39? I already have my scanner set up through my sound card.

          Once my ham ticket is in hand, I can get started on outfitting my FT-2900R in the car.

          I do not have a valid callsign at the moment. The next test is January 22nd. Is there any way I can just monitor with this software?

          Scott

        • Steve D
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010

            Good luck for the 22nd.

            Just to add to what Fred has said when you get a callsign contact Lynn KJ4ERJ who will be able to provide you with a password.

            Steve

            G6UIM

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010

              AGWPE will interface between a soundcard and APRSIS32 it works well, you obviously need to adjust the levels in AGWPE

              A link to the software below

              http://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/default.htm

              it interfaces to aprsis32 via a tcp/ip port

              http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port-configuration

              Steve

              G6UIM

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                Hi Scott,

                I suspect you found this:

                If not, it will allow the soundcard to be used as a TNC. APRSIS32 can connect to AGWPE as well.

                I like an APRS radio that is separate from my voice radio. That is my personal preference anyway. The cool thing is, a non-frills radio can be used and they are usually cheaper. My APRS radio is about 20-25 years old and easy to play with. And, it was $5. I got a back up for about $10 and another for $20. The $20 one was in really good shape.

                Best regards,
                Fred

                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                  You beat me to the response!
                  Happy New Year Steve!

                  And Happy New Year to everyone else as well!

                  Best regards,
                  Fred

                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                    Just keep the default password of -1 and your callsign doesn't really
                    matter. You won't be able to message or inject your position or objects
                    into APRS-IS, but you should be able to monitor what's going on.

                    When you get your ticket and a callsign has been granted, send it to me
                    at KJ4ERJ@... and I'll provide a corresponding password.

                    Scott wrote:
                    > I do not have a valid callsign at the moment. The next test is January 22nd. Is there any way I can just monitor with this software?
                    >
                    > Scott

                  • Steve D
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010

                      I also sent a reply about how to get a password but that seems to have got trapped. Have I upset Lynn again? Lol

                      Good luck with the 22nd. When you have a call you can get a password from Lynn KJ4ERJ.

                      Steve

                      G6UIM

                      (hope this one gets through)

                      And Happy New Year to everyone else as well!

                      Best regards,

                      Fred

                      Thank you, Fred!  Is there any windows software available to “listen” to the digital packets coming across 144.39? I already have my scanner set up through my sound card.

                      Once my ham ticket is in hand, I can get started on outfitting my FT-2900R in the car.

                      Without a password, which is generated from a call sign, you will only be able to monitor.

                      Fire it up!

                      Have fun!

                      Fred, N7FMH

                      size=2 width="100%" align=center>

                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                        Not sure what you mean by "listen to the digital packets on 144.39" that
                        you're not already doing with your scanner and sound card. Or are you
                        looking for software to decode what's coming in from the scanner? That
                        would be AGW's Packet Engine. A free version is available at

                        http://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/default.htm

                        The Pro version costs $$, while the free version is the third one down
                        the list.

                        Once you get AGW set up and working, connect APRSIS32 to it by:

                        1) Configure / Ports / New Port
                        2) Type: AGW, Name <UpToYou> - Click Create
                        3) Yes, it is a TCP/IP Port
                        4) IP is 127.0.0.1 and Port is 8000 (assuming AGW and APRSIS32 share a
                        single machine)
                        5) Click OK
                        6) Uncheck Xmit Enable since you're not licensed yet
                        7) Click Accept.

                        You should be in business! Any station received over RF will have a * in
                        the scrolling station log (which will grow wider automatically). If
                        there is a number after the *, you've heard that many duplicates of the
                        packet, probably remote digipeats.

                        Scott Clark wrote:

                        > Thank you, Fred! Is there any windows software available to “listen”
                        > to the digital packets coming across 144.39? I already have my scanner
                        > set up through my sound card.
                        >
                        > Once my ham ticket is in hand, I can get started on outfitting my
                        > FT-2900R in the car.

                      • Scott Clark
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                          Lynn,

                          Spectacular! I was looking for software to decode what is coming across....
                          That is what I meant to say.

                          Scott Clark wrote:

                          > Thank you, Fred! Is there any windows software available to "listen"
                          > to the digital packets coming across 144.39? I already have my scanner
                          > set up through my sound card.
                          >
                          > Once my ham ticket is in hand, I can get started on outfitting my
                          > FT-2900R in the car.

                        • Scott Clark
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                            Lynn,

                            I think I have it set up. I am not really seeing anything going on.
                            However, it does say My name OK in the top left pane.

                            Scott Clark wrote:

                            > Thank you, Fred! Is there any windows software available to "listen"
                            > to the digital packets coming across 144.39? I already have my scanner
                            > set up through my sound card.
                            >
                            > Once my ham ticket is in hand, I can get started on outfitting my
                            > FT-2900R in the car.

                          • Scott Clark
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                              Lynn, can you email me on my gmail account? You should be able to see it if
                              you are the admin here

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                                You'll need to go look at the various AGW windows to see if it is
                                actually decoding anything. The "Heard Stations List" and "Monitor"
                                windows are handy, but be aware that the Monitor window clears every
                                time you open it. I use an external program called "AGW Monitor" that I
                                picked up somewhere to keep a persistent monitor of AGW-decoded traffic.

                                You can also Enables / View Logs / <My Name> and click Enable on the
                                menu bar of that trace log window to see what all APRSISCE/32 is hearing
                                from AGW. Once you bring this trace log up and enable it, you can
                                uncheck and check Enables / Rf Ports / <My Name> and see traffic in the
                                trace log as communications are established between APRSISCE/32 and AGW.

                              • Scott Clark
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010

                                  I think I actually have it all hammered out now. It would not let me get on with NOCALL, so I used my GMRS call. I have XMIT disabled as you stated….  The list on the left is going crazy now, so I am good to go!

                                  Scott Clark wrote:

                                  > Lynn,
                                  >
                                  > I think I have it set up. I am not really seeing anything going on.
                                  > However, it does say My name OK in the top left pane.

                                • Scott
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                                    Well, this is interesting. I think I found the reaon the pane lists no info when the signal comes through here: After looking at the logs, it shows the Data Kind as Non AX-25. I think I remember reading about how some of these transmitters are out of date...

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 30, 2010
                                      Can you e-mail that log to KJ4ERJ@.... Sometimes my diagnostics
                                      that sound bad aren't. In particular the AGW port logs as there seems
                                      to be a disconnect over the datatype that AGW is supposed to tell me for
                                      KISS-wrapped data and what it actually tells me.

                                      I'd like to eyeball the log and see if it makes sense.

                                      Are you seeing anything in AGW's Monitor window if you let it up? Also,
                                      what callsign-SSID did you configure into APRSIS32? I know you don't
                                      have a password, but I don't always let that stop me!

                                    • Steve D
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011

                                        HMM this just arrived! The message was sent on Thursday!

                                        Steve

                                        G6UIM

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011
                                          Sometimes Yahoo is just plain slow and messages seem to route through a
                                          few wormholes between adjacent galaxies. I'm amazed that most of them
                                          do eventually make it back to our inboxes. Rest assured, you're not
                                          Moderated or being personally singled out for delayed delivery ;)

                                          Steve D wrote:

                                          > HMM this just arrived! The message was sent on Thursday!
                                          >

                                          > Steve
                                          >
                                          > G6UIM

                                        • Steve D
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011

                                            I know. I was really just pointing out that I was not being slow responding to a message. And that what I had written was now obsolete.

                                            I realise yahoo plays up every now and again, I have had yahoo trap messages as spam for no obvious reason.

                                            Steve

                                            G6UIM

                                            Steve D wrote:

                                            > HMM this just arrived! The message was sent on Thursday!
                                            >

                                            > Steve
                                            >
                                            > G6UIM

                                          • kd4dra
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011
                                              I saw it Thursday and today Steve

                                              Rick
                                              KD4DRA

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 3, 2011
                                                I noticed my messages were slow. Then, I noticed that many were. Maybe Yahoo was having issues or maybe even a subscription.