Minor details.

    Message 1 of 45 , Feb 27, 2010
      Lynn,

      Thanks for creating what sounds like it might just become the top APRS
      client in the future. We've had a progression of APRS applications
      over the years, with each one moving the bar higher and higher. Having
      an author responsive to the needs and desires of the users is a major
      factor in developing a great application.

      Now... onto the nitty gritty bits.

      Right off the top, have you thought about renaming the program?
      Obviously the name reflects the origins of the program, but it looks
      to be headed to be much more than that.

      I finally had a look at the program just over a week ago... I hadn't
      looked before because of the name, assuming it was for Windows Mobile
      devices only. I'd suggest not only dropping the CE portion, but also
      the APRSIS portion. The APRS-IS name is the Internet Service portion
      of the APRS network. This client appears to be moving beyond that, and
      encompassing the RF portion as well. Perhaps a new less limiting name
      might be in order... a really sexy or cool name for the application
      never hurt.

      Can you make it so that the large compass face can be a user
      selectable display element? I would like to get rid of the big grey
      circle and NESW labels on my screen.

      I love the fact that you use the OSM map in this application. I've
      been helping that project for a couple years now. It is great that
      anyone can add detail to the OSM map. Any missing data can easily be
      added, and immediately becomes available worldwide! One issue that I
      have however is the way that the tiles are saved to the hard drive.

      I use a program called RadioMobile that also uses the OSM tiles for
      creating a background map. RadioMobile saves the tiles in almost the
      exact same way as APRSIS32, but with just a slight naming difference.
      APRSIS32 uses a file structure such as OSM12/748/1334.png whereas
      RadioMobile saves the exact same tile under the file structure
      12/748/1334.png

      It would be very desirable to share the tiles across multiple
      platforms, rather than have duplicate tiles saved for each
      application. I don't know if there's an "official" file naming
      structure defined for saving OSM tiles, but if it was possible to
      override the naming structure to allow the two programs to match up,
      it would be great. All I would need to be able to do, is to have the
      OSMXX structure changed to just XX where XX is the zoom level.

      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 5, 2010
        > >> I'm anxious to hear how expanding the Cycle Map tiles turns out

        > > It is pretty ugly on the areas without enough resolution. But hopefully
        > > that will only get better over time as more tiles become available.

        > Have you gone back to look at the areas in question again?

        I did a bit ago and there are new tiles! Totally awesome!

        > The Cycle Map tiles are created on demand. The whole world hasn't been
        > rendered at all resolutions. It requires that someone ask for the
        > tiles before they get rendered.

        Apparently my recent poking around stimulated the renderer!

        > On the OSM site, when you try to look
        > at an area that hasn't been rendered, that is all that is required to
        > request a tile be rendered. It looks like when you try to get a tile
        > with APRSISCE/32, that also creates a render request. I have lots of
        > tiles for my area. When I first looked at an area, the yellow circle
        > went out, then it went bezerk. However, after a bit, it settled down.

        I see the berserk yellow circle too. It seems to play havoc as I "drive"
        around.