RE: [aprsisce] Re: Another program recommended for Windows 7?

  • David Shrum
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
      Not trying to pic-nits, BUT, I did notice a slight change needed to make the
      APRSISCE/32 Wiki read correctly. The difference is in "Screen / Map /
      Prefetch" description; it still says, "View/Map/Prefetch".

      Dave N8PU

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
        Lynn, I am learning more and more with your program as I play around with it. I'm still trying to figure out how to set my home position correctly. I guess I can edit the xml file, because it put me in the wrong place, and I can't seem to figure out how to correct it.

        The maps are cool. I have dialup, so it took me a bit to get a bunch of tiles downloaded. But the resolution is way better than anything I'm used to seeing with APRS.

        This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm new with this so bear with me. Is this all internet based stuff that I am seeing or does the software actually use my TNC for RF stuff too?

        Thanks and 73,

        Kenny

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 27, 2010
          kb0npw wrote:
          > Lynn, I am learning more and more with your program as I play around with it. I'm still trying to figure out how to set my home position correctly. I guess I can edit the xml file, because it put me in the wrong place, and I can't seem to figure out how to correct it.

          Editing the Lat/Lon in the XML file is the easiest way to fix it. Make
          sure the client is closed before editing or your changes will be lost.
          The lat/lon are in decimal degrees. I've got a ToDo item to make a way
          to set the current coordinate for non-GPS-enabled installations.

          > The maps are cool. I have dialup, so it took me a bit to get a bunch of tiles downloaded. But the resolution is way better than anything I'm used to seeing with APRS.

          I've been pretty impressed with them for most areas of the world (yes, I
          routinely zoom in on where other people are running the client).
          There's a street behind my house that wasn't there, so I got the
          coordinates of the corners and added it! If you see something
          incorrect, just sign up for an account at OpenStreetMap.org and edit to
          your heart's content.

          > This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm new with this so bear with me. Is this all internet based stuff that I am seeing or does the software actually use my TNC for RF stuff too?

          APRSISCE/32 was originally written as an APRS-IS (Internet) client for
          Windows Mobile cellphones. It has since evolved into support
          KISS-interfaced TNCs, TEXT-mode TNCs, and AGW's Packet Engine sound card
          TNC (but receive-only currently). My plan is to continue evolving it
          and adding functionality as time and imagination permit.