Tiles and zoom and some out of topic and long

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26 8:51 AM
      Hi Lynn,

      Just downloaded the Windows version yesterday at lunch. Pretty slick! I am
      looking forward to getting it running mobile.

      I haven't connected to a TNC or GPS yet since the machine doesn't connect to
      either, nor will it ever. I plan on moving everything to a laptop this
      weekend. This laptop has no internet connection except WiFi on my network.
      The laptop is an old Compac Armada M300. It will be connected to a Tracker2
      in the vehicle and any helpful tips would be appreciated. Of course I can
      always experiment too. I do have an NMEA spigot on my OT2 as well as the
      standard serial port running KISS.

      I saw this embedded in the Digest version:
      "I'm not even sure the program can total space utilization over 2GB as I'm
      not sure how big my variable and never expected someone to download that
      many tiles before the purger started removing old ones!"

      Do you have a tile limitation with the Windows version? I would probably
      only limit tiles to drive space. I am finding I will more trips coming up
      and it would be nice to not lose previous downloaded tiles.

      A tile grabber utility would be useful for people without a mobile internet
      connection. If there is one, sorry, I didn't see it. There is more
      discussion concerning this below about what I have used and have done in the
      past.

      Have you considered the USGS tiles from the TerraServer as well? This might
      be a very useful tool for SAR.

      Have you considered being able to use scanned maps? I recently checked out a
      universal map downloaded. I have made a couple of maps using a variety of
      tiles. SAR might find this useful as well.

      I have to check this out:
      "Reversed the Zoom +/- behavior (no cheers, just beers (but I'm a
      tea-totaler!))"

      So, just how many teas have you totaled? ;) Have you ever totaled a licorice
      tea? Yum!

      Actually, the zoom change I will have to check out. The version running as
      of yesterday seemed backwards but I didn't follow up with it. Interesting
      enough, the PS3 calls my joystick action 'reversed' as do most FPS games.
      This does not make sense to me. Isn't the stick pushed forward to fly a
      plane into the earth?

      I use ExpertGPS (E-GPS) for the majority of my mapping needs. Actually, this
      is what I compare all other map software to. I have the GIS and CAD option
      pack. I have been using it for almost as long as it has been out.

      My E-GPS topo and aerial tile collection is a good size.
      Type 1 (aerial) 3.79GB on disk in 442,587 Files, 72 Folders
      Type 2 (topo) 5.18GB on disk in 350,089 Files, 65 Folders
      Type 4 (urban) 68.2MB on disk in 11,488 files, 26 folders

      I have grabbed most of the tiles in the area I travel in on a regular basis
      (commuting, day trips and camping). I also grab tiles along the routes of
      longer trips, such as my trip to Arkansas. If your software could use these
      tiles as well... ;)

      I also have a collection of scanned maps that provide additional
      entertainment. I am now experimenting with the universal map downloader to
      create a 'scanned' map.

      The E-GPS tile tool as a rectangular box that one draws on the screen and
      the selected resolutions are auto magically downloaded. This usually ends up
      with a nice collection of tiles that are not needed. Or one can just update
      the location on the screen and tiles are downloaded. I recently have put
      together a program to simulate a GPS so that E-GPS will get the tiles as the
      position is updated. I have to run a route multiple times to get the
      different resolutions but it only gets those that are needed to fill the
      monitor and a few extra. I can provide a better description of my process if
      needed.

      I have also played with USAPhotoMaps so I have a tile collection for that as
      well. Someone wrote a tile grabber that works, mostly. There is a bug or
      two. It only works within a UTM zone at a time and with a limited number of
      points for routes.

      Appreciate your work on this software!

      Thanks!