RE: [aprsisce] OT Balloonists bodies found

  • Steve D
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
      I echo those sentiments Lynn. I am glad they have found them, at least the
      families can have a proper funeral now. I do hope they can find out what
      went wrong and hopefully prevent a similar thing happening again.
      Thoughts are with the families as they have been since the tragedy occurred.

      Steve
      G6UIM

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
        Hi
        Anybody using a foxdigi with aprsis32? I want a kiss tnc for use with
        aprsis32 but with a fallback standalone digi should it be required. So I was
        wondering if the foxdigi can be used as both.

        Steve
        G6UIM
      • Robin Williams
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
          Hi Steve.
          I wouldn't touch a foxdigi with a barge pole.
          Go for a TT4.
          Cheers,
          Robin ZL3REW

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
            By the time you have added in the shipping costs, import tax and tax collection cost Steve would be better off getting the Cross Country Wireless APRS TNC Digi Tracker and helping support a UK APRS business as well.

            I like many of the Fox Delta kits but from what I have read the FoxDigi is very insensitive because it uses the PIC as the modem instead of using a proper modem chip.

            Julian, G4ILO

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Williams" <phonetech@...> wrote:

            > Hi Steve.
            > I wouldn't touch a foxdigi with a barge pole.
          • Peter - ZL2BAU
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
              On 07/12/10 11:33, Robin Williams wrote:

              Hi Steve.
              I wouldn't touch a foxdigi with a barge pole.
              Go for a TT4.
              Cheers,
              Robin ZL3REW

              Hi Robin,

                            A very harsh statement, could you enlighten me as to what is wrong with the Foxdigi ?

              Regards ..... Peter

            • Steve D
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010

                Hi Robin

                Thanks for the info. Any reason for that? Message off list if you prefer

                I was trying to find something cheap. Getting my GF Liz M6AKN onto aprs, and providing Plymouth with APRS coverage. Sadly she lives in the world best dummy load area.

                So to get something going was going to use a kiss tnc and aprsis32 via her computer, but move to a better site if one became available, but probably without internet access. And Hope someone can Igate.

                Was looking at a TNC-X also with it’s digi options.

                Steve

                G6UIM

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
                  On 12/07/2010 12:03 AM, Steve D wrote:

                  > Hi Robin
                  >
                  > Thanks for the info. Any reason for that? Message off list if you prefer

                  FOXDIGI requires a thirdparty firmware to operate as a proper digipeater.

                  If you need a TNC with KISS that has a nice price and is working as a
                  proper digipeater i recomend TNC-X with the XDigi module.

                  For tracking i would use TinyTrack or OpenTracker.

                  TinyTrack4 do have TNC etc

                  Kai Gunter
                  LA3QMA
                • Larry Ewan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 7, 2010
                    I agree with Kai on the TNC-X. It's a set and forget solution to
                    digipeating. Once I got the settings I wanted and powered it up, it just
                    runs and runs and runs. Hasn't needed any attention from a human since
                    early summer when I brought it on line.

                    Larry N9JY

                    On 12/7/10 2:03 AM, "Kai Gunter Brandt" <kai.brandt@...> wrote:

                    >On 12/07/2010 12:03 AM, Steve D wrote:
                    >>

                    >> Hi Robin
                    >>
                    >> Thanks for the info. Any reason for that? Message off list if you prefer
                    >
                    >FOXDIGI requires a thirdparty firmware to operate as a proper digipeater.
                    >
                    >If you need a TNC with KISS that has a nice price and is working as a
                    >proper digipeater i recomend TNC-X with the XDigi module.
                    >
                    >For tracking i would use TinyTrack or OpenTracker.
                    >
                    >TinyTrack4 do have TNC etc
                    >
                    >Kai Gunter
                    >LA3QMA
                  • Rob Giuliano
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 7, 2010
                      I also agree.  I've used the TNC-X (not the MFJ expensive version) with the XDIGI for a temporary setup and it worked for inside a box on a tree branch for a 3 day event.
                      XDigi was easy to understand settings and to setup.

                      Robert Giuliano
                      KB8RCO

                      The difference between CW and other digital
                      modes comes down to 2 characters:
                      ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
                      ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

                      I agree with Kai on the TNC-X. It's a set and forget solution to
                      digipeating. Once I got the settings I wanted and powered it up, it just
                      runs and runs and runs. Hasn't needed any attention from a human since
                      early summer when I brought it on line.

                      Larry N9JY

                      On 12/7/10 2:03 AM, "Kai Gunter Brandt" <kai.brandt@...> wrote:

                      >On 12/07/2010 12:03 AM, Steve D wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Hi Robin
                      >>
                      >> Thanks for the info. Any reason for that? Message off list if you prefer
                      >
                      >FOXDIGI requires a thirdparty firmware to operate as a proper digipeater.
                      >
                      >If you need a TNC with KISS that has a nice price and is working as a
                      >proper digipeater i recomend TNC-X with the XDigi module.
                      >
                      >For tracking i would use TinyTrack or OpenTracker.
                      >
                      >TinyTrack4 do have TNC etc
                      >
                      >Kai Gunter
                      >LA3QMA

                    • Steve D
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 7, 2010

                        Thanks for the advice everyone.

                        I can’t see from the Cross Country site if that tracker will output in kiss mode to link to aprsis32. I only need digi if I get to place it at a remote site.

                        Steve

                        G6UIM