Re: [aprsisce] Yaesu VX-8GR computer connection - NOT

  • Colin Catlin
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
      I know Fugawi mapping software will take NMEA data from almost any device and can output that data on another Com Port (Real or Emulated) to go to APRSIS32 if that helps (I did do that yesterday). I don't see why APRSIS32 wouldn't take the NMEA Data direct from the FT-350 (if not the VX-8series) to display on its maps.

      73,
      Colin.

      On 02/12/2010 06:11, OZ1BZJ wrote:

      Hi

      The below statement can be misunderstood. There are possibility to connect the VX8GR to a PC to get position data out. But there is a big but. The data from the processor in the radio are NMEA and are better for connecting to a GPS to show there as waypoints. To my understanding with out having a FT350 at my hands it work the same way.
      I am not aware of a APRS program that can show these NMEA data on a map. No matter what it will from the pc side be RX only.

      73 de OZ1BZJ
      Michael

      ----- Original meddelelse -----

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
        I believe he's expecting APRS software to interpret the NMEA waypoint
        sentences and put stations on the map like non-APRS-aware GPSs do. The
        standard NMEA GPS position sentences would certainly be accepted by
        APRSISCE on an NMEA port, but he is correct that the waypoint sentences
        (like $GPWPL, $PGRMW, $PKWDWPL(Kenwood), $PMGNWPL(Magellan)) will be
        ignored (currently).

        IMHO, APRS software is expecting APRS packets and can get full
        information from them. Dumbing down APRS software to accept only what
        an NMEA data source might think it can display on a GPS is just dumb.
        Yaesu needs to wake up and open the capabilities.

        I still stand on my non-confusingly correct statement that the "Yaesu
        VX-8 family doesn't support connection to a computer to access the
        internal TNC". If a reader confuses "TNC" with "NMEA GPS", then we've
        got some education to do as I'm attempting in this message.

        PS. Please pardon the crotchety tone in this message, but it's 45F at
        6:45am before a full day and I'm not yet thinking clearly enough to tone
        it down, but if I don't answer it now, it will probably never get
        answered...

        Colin Catlin wrote:

        > I know Fugawi mapping software will take NMEA data from almost any
        > device and can output that data on another Com Port (Real or Emulated)
        > to go to APRSIS32 if that helps (I did do that yesterday). I don't see
        > why APRSIS32 wouldn't take the NMEA Data direct from the FT-350 (if
        > not the VX-8series) to display on its maps.
        >

        > 73,
        > Colin.
        >
        > On 02/12/2010 06:11, OZ1BZJ wrote:
        >>

        >> Hi
        >>
        >> The below statement can be misunderstood. There are possibility to
        >> connect the VX8GR to a PC to get position data out. But there is a
        >> big but. The data from the processor in the radio are NMEA and are
        >> better for connecting to a GPS to show there as waypoints. To my
        >> understanding with out having a FT350 at my hands it work the same way.
        >> I am not aware of a APRS program that can show these NMEA data on a
        >> map. No matter what it will from the pc side be RX only.
        >>
        >> 73 de OZ1BZJ
        >> Michael
        >>
        >> ----- Original meddelelse -----
        >> > >

        >> > I hate to disappoint you, but the Yaesu VX-8 family doesn't support
        >> > connection to a computer to access the internal TNC. The only option
        >> > you have with that particular radio is to tie into the microphone and
        >> > speaker and run the audio out to a traditional TNC.
        >> >
        >> > Their FTM-350 only just started supporting received APRS packets going
        >> > to a computer interface from the internal TNC, but it doesn't yet
        >> > support transmitting.
        >> >
        >> > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
          well its only 29f here in Charlotte NC so consider yourself LUCKY!

          Brrrrrrrrrrr
          Steve W, kf6wax

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
            OZ1BZJ wrote:

            > The below statement can be misunderstood. There are possibility to
            > connect the VX8GR to a PC to get position data out. But there is a big
            > but. The data from the processor in the radio are NMEA and are better
            > for connecting to a GPS to show there as waypoints. To my
            > understanding with out having a FT350 at my hands it work the same way.

            That was true about the FTM-350 before recently. With version 1.2 of
            the firmware, Yaesu is now capable of (apparently, I've not seen it with
            my own eyes) emitting the full decoded APRS packets out the computer
            port. Still a receive-only view to the PC, but it's a start!

            > I am not aware of a APRS program that can show these NMEA data on a
            > map. No matter what it will from the pc side be RX only.

            As I alluded to in my response to Colin, currently APRSISCE/32 doesn't,
            but at his suggestion, it might be beneficial to support gleaning
            station information from NMEA waypoint sentences to at least provide
            VX-8 (and pre-1.2 FTM-350) owners the ability to graphically view the
            received stations on a map. I've made sure this is on the ToDo list.

          • lists@ke4nyv.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
              31F here in Virginia.

              Back at Dayton, I picked up a GR to play with when the Yaesu guys brought one over to my booth to play with. I got a chance to test the "serial port" with some of my Kenwood D7 cables. Luckily, they stuck with the same pinout, so the cables were compatable. I did two tests on site. First, I connected a Garmin GPS in NMEA mode to the radio and observed the positions of other stations being mapped on the screen. OK, cool, confirmed $GPWPL string output. What else was coming out? So I grabbed one of our Kenwood D7 serial cables, plugged it in and looked at it with HyperTerminal in 4800 baud. Sure enough, there were $GPWPL strings coming out, but that was it. I was dissapointed, but still had some hope for it. I ended up buying one by the end of the weekend.

              After I came home, I whipped up a simple logging logging program in VB.net just to grab the strings and display them in a list showing the callsign, lat and lon. Nothing special, but interesting non the less. I have the program up for download, for anyone interested:

              http://www.ke4nyv.com/software.htm

              Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics, LLC
              www.rpc-electronics.com

              > > The below statement can be misunderstood. There are
              > possibility to
              > > connect the VX8GR to a PC to get position data out.
              > But there is a big
              > > but. The data from the processor in the radio are NMEA
              > and are better
              > > for connecting to a GPS to show there as waypoints. To
              > my
              > > understanding with out having a FT350 at my hands it
              > work the same way.
              > >

              > That was true about the FTM-350 before recently.  With
              > version 1.2 of
              > the firmware, Yaesu is now capable of (apparently, I've not
              > seen it with
              > my own eyes) emitting the full decoded APRS packets out the
              > computer
              > port.  Still a receive-only view to the PC, but it's a
              > start!
              >
              > > I am not aware of a APRS program that can show these
              > NMEA data on a
              > > map. No matter what it will from the pc side be RX
              > only.
              > >

              > As I alluded to in my response to Colin, currently
              > APRSISCE/32 doesn't,
              > but at his suggestion, it might be beneficial to support
              > gleaning
              > station information from NMEA waypoint sentences to at
              > least provide
              > VX-8 (and pre-1.2 FTM-350) owners the ability to
              > graphically view the
              > received stations on a map.  I've made sure this is on
              > the ToDo list.
              >
              > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile
              > and Win32

              >     aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Steve D
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
              • Sean D. Fleming
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 27, 2011
                  So, I know this post is almost a year old now. I am wondering I have used the program and see the NMEA Port option does this mean that It can get NMEA inbound on a comport from the VX-8GR now?
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 27, 2011
                    You tell me, does the VX-8GR output standard NMEA from its GPS on an
                    RS-232 port that you can connect to your computer? If so, the answer is
                    yes and has been for quite some time.

                    (I assume you mean the Configure / Ports / NMEA and not the GPS/NMEA
                    checkbox within an RF Port configuration dialog since the VX-8GR isn't
                    supported as an RF port because, at least to my knowledge, it doesn't
                    output any APRS data).

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 27, 2011

                      A quick look at the manual say that the radio can output the GGA and RMC NMEA DATA page 154 of the manual

                      Plus a few other things

                      Torbay Freecycle Moderator

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 27, 2011
                        I am not sure that know the answer to this question.
                        From what I understand is that they hooked it up to a nuclear and it sent over waypoint.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 27, 2011
                          On 9/27/2011 3:14 PM, Sean D. Fleming wrote:
                          > I am not sure that know the answer to this question.
                          > > From what I understand is that they hooked it up to a nuclear and it sent over waypoint.

                          What is a "nuclear" that had what hooked up to it? And APRSISCE/32
                          expects pure, unadulterated APRS-formatted packets, not GPS/NMEA
                          formatted waypoint output. I know the latest firmware revs of the
                          FTM-350 support APRS output.

                          But even then, I'm not aware of the VX-8GR's ability to send out
                          waypoints, let alone the raw NMEA data from the internal GPS.

                          Anyone actually own one of these, hooked it up to a PC, and maybe be
                          able to get a capture of whatever data comes out of it?

                          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Daniels"<steve@...> wrote:
                          >> A quick look at the manual say that the radio can output the GGA and RMC
                          >> NMEA DATA page 154 of the manual
                          >>
                          >> Plus a few other things
                          >>

                          >> Steve Daniels
                          >>
                          >> G6UIM
                          >>
                          >> Torbay Freecycle Moderator
                          >>
                          >> _____

                        • walscobry
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 28, 2011
                            In the Yahoo VX-8 group this was discussed to some length a while back. I would search over there, but to the best of my memory I think there were a couple of gotchas on the output strings. Incorrect padding of fields and a couple of others.

                            I have the VX-8 that has a seperate GPS module, I made a "man in the middle" cable between the GPS module and the radio creating a 2nd copy of the raw gps nema stream to feed to my laptop.

                            Bryan
                            K4RKR

                            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Sean D. Fleming" <k8khz@...> wrote:

                            > So, I know this post is almost a year old now. I am wondering I have used the program and see the NMEA Port option does this mean that It can get NMEA inbound on a comport from the VX-8GR now?

                          • kc8rfe
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 28, 2011
                              I use the VX-8GR to output NMEA GPS data to my ID-880 in my car when i travel. It works perfectly and my GPS cooridinates get passed through on DStar just fine.

                              It has options in the menu to send different information through the data port. One of them is GPS NMEA.

                              Kevin

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 28, 2011

                                It would probably be handy if you could capture the various data, NMEA Waypoints etc output from the radio and let Lynn have the data

                                That way he could look to see what he can extract from the radio, I can see from the manual it ouputs various things, but the format for how it does that needs looking at.