Re: [aprsisce] Feature request (was Radar overlays)

  • Kirk Mefford
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2010
      While people are discussing aditional feature requests, I'll add a couple to
      the list that may be somewhat easy to implement. How about screen snapshots
      and .geo file support.

      In Xastir, there is the ability to save the current map view (as seen on
      screen) to a folder as an image with an associated .geo and .klm file
      marking the coordinate boundries. There is also the option to automatically
      generate the snapshots on a timed basis. This is handy for uploading to a
      web page as a semi dynamic image as the map view and/or objects shown
      change. The accompaning .geo file allows integration with other software as
      a map image or in the webpage example, allows findu.com scripts to overlay
      information on top of the image.

      You also mentioned possible UIView .inf support for other mapping options.
      I would prefer the .geo format since there are more programs that are able
      to use .geo files. (Xastir sources also have a script for converting UIview
      .inf files to .geo format if it'll help)

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2011
        Lynn,

        I also would like to see a feature that would download the Live Radar Data like XASTIR does.

        If it was able to overlay with a Transparency factor it would really be a better display mechanism that Xastir has.

        kc9kko
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2011
          I'll add it to the list, but did you notice the comments about how slow
          xastir is at panning and painting? That's one of the reasons I'm
          delaying the implementation of such "advanced" visual features,
          performance. The other is my often-stated desire to focus on
          APRS-sourced data.

          I deviated from those considerations with the implementation of
          shapefiles, and had to "pay the piper" to get my panning performance
          back up to (what I consider) par. I have to admit that it's pretty cool
          to watch the weather march across the state, especially when it is
          headed my way, and at least the shapefile information is triggered by
          and extends the visibility of APRS-delivered triggers. I'm not sure
          that's the case with the radar overlays. They're just like another set
          of maps that have to be fetched, sized, scaled, and rendered.

          I agree that it would augment the visual display for those interested in
          weather, storms, spotting, and chasing, but since it is 100%
          non-APRS-sourced data, I'm afraid it's going to take a back seat (lower
          priority) to much of my ToDo list.