RE: [aprsisce] Radar overlays

  • Brian Webster
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010

      Lynn,

                      Basically what he is talking about is pulling the public domain weather radar image data and overlaying them on the APRS maps. It becomes an overlay showing the weather radar with the rest of the map being transparent. Many of the APRS programs support this in various forms which is probably why there is the interest. They are somewhat real time but do not update any quicker than every 5 minutes. The people who use this feature like being able to show where storms and such are relative to the objects on the APRS map. I haven’t followed the latest updates to the file format for the data but there are many different implementations of this information in other programs like Google Earth. An auto refresh every 5 minutes of the radar image would be desirable.

      Brian N2KGC