Re: [aprsisce] Radar overlays

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
      Mike Miller wrote:
      > Take a look at NWSGet. It is a UI-View add on that only works
      > with Precision Mapping maps, but is one of the most important
      > features of UI-View as far as I'm concerned. It might be
      > difficult to impossible it implement in APRSIS32.
      > <http://www.billdiaz.dynip.com/nwsgetdetails.htm>

      I cannot (and will not, by choice) "take a look" at anything in
      UI-View. As I stated recently, I do not run any other APRS client on
      purpose so as to not simply mimic what others have done, but deliver the
      desired and useful functionality, not just a previously done
      look-and-feel. If you can describe the function and what you use it for
      and how you use it, I will listen and attempt to understand.

      > Also weather warning areas are going to polygons rather than the
      > older shape files so it might be possible to for you to display
      > them when they are available.

      So I've recently learned. I bookmarked the NWS URLs that were just
      posted here and will see what I can do with them both from a central
      server publishing the area objects and displaying those objects in
      APRSISCE/32 in some future version.

    • Randy Love
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
        This is just my opinion, Lynn, but I think the warning by polygon should be a snap once you get area objects implemented.

        As Dennis Miller would say, "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

        73,
        Randy
        WF5X

      • Mike Miller
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
          On 1 Dec 2010 at 12:49, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

          > I cannot (and will not, by choice) "take a look" at anything in
          > UI-View. As I stated recently, I do not run any other APRS
          > client on
          > purpose so as to not simply mimic what others have done, but
          > deliver the
          > desired and useful functionality, not just a previously done
          > look-and-feel. If you can describe the function and what you
          > use it for
          > and how you use it, I will listen and attempt to understand.

          Okay, what NWSGet does is download the latest radar image from
          the selected radar site and creates an underlay for the map
          allowing you to zoom and scroll the image along with the map.
          This allows you to see the position of APRS equipped storm
          spotters relative to storm features such as thunderstorm cells.

          I'm sure many spotter groups use more sophisticated weather
          programs. My real use is to allow my APRS display to show me
          when storms move into the area without manually going to the
          NOAA website to check the radar.

          Mike kc9doa
        • Brian Webster
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010

            Lynn,

                            Basically what he is talking about is pulling the public domain weather radar image data and overlaying them on the APRS maps. It becomes an overlay showing the weather radar with the rest of the map being transparent. Many of the APRS programs support this in various forms which is probably why there is the interest. They are somewhat real time but do not update any quicker than every 5 minutes. The people who use this feature like being able to show where storms and such are relative to the objects on the APRS map. I haven’t followed the latest updates to the file format for the data but there are many different implementations of this information in other programs like Google Earth. An auto refresh every 5 minutes of the radar image would be desirable.

            Brian N2KGC