Re: [aprsisce] Radar overlays

  • Randy Love
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
      This is a bit moot if you are able to get the actual polygon defined warning areas. Warning by county has been keep for backwards compatibility with SAME radios and media consumption. As a rule now, all warnings are issued with an exact polygon defined by coordinates of the area in question. This would preclude the need for those pesky shapefiles that they seem to update twice a year.

      Like I said, the trick is getting the polygon definition over APRS. They aren't ported (yet anyway) to APRS-IS. Those warnings that are still use the county/zone number definitions, thus requiring the shapefiles to define the warned area.

      For a little more background, see this page:
      http://www.weather.gov/sbwarnings/
      ( I love that they used counties from my home state of Arkansas in the graphic examples :)

      And here is a page that lists, in brief, the last 10 warnings and their polygon data:
      http://www.weather.gov/regsci/gis/last10.html

      Finally, a warning showing the polygon data at the bottom of the message:
      http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=DTX&issuedby=LWX&product=SVR&format=txt&version=1&glossary=0
      (This last link is time sensitive, and may not display any data if the last warning is over 72 hours old.)

      73,
      Randy
      WF5X

      PS. We'll be on the air from K8DTX - NWS Detroit/Pontiac MI for SRD.. :)

    • Mike Miller
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
        On 1 Dec 2010 at 6:07, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

        > And now that I've gone this far, I realize that you asked about
        > "radar..or equivalent" which may or may not be related to the
        > weather
        > area alerts that I've discussed above. Is this what you're
        > asking about
        > or is there another UI-View feature (you mentioned that you've
        > used it
        > for years) of which I'm unaware.

        Take a look at NWSGet. It is a UI-View add on that only works
        with Precision Mapping maps, but is one of the most important
        features of UI-View as far as I'm concerned. It might be
        difficult to impossible it implement in APRSIS32.
        <http://www.billdiaz.dynip.com/nwsgetdetails.htm>

        Also weather warning areas are going to polygons rather than the
        older shape files so it might be possible to for you to display
        them when they are available.

        Mike kc9doa
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
          Mike Miller wrote:
          > Take a look at NWSGet. It is a UI-View add on that only works
          > with Precision Mapping maps, but is one of the most important
          > features of UI-View as far as I'm concerned. It might be
          > difficult to impossible it implement in APRSIS32.
          > <http://www.billdiaz.dynip.com/nwsgetdetails.htm>

          I cannot (and will not, by choice) "take a look" at anything in
          UI-View. As I stated recently, I do not run any other APRS client on
          purpose so as to not simply mimic what others have done, but deliver the
          desired and useful functionality, not just a previously done
          look-and-feel. If you can describe the function and what you use it for
          and how you use it, I will listen and attempt to understand.

          > Also weather warning areas are going to polygons rather than the
          > older shape files so it might be possible to for you to display
          > them when they are available.

          So I've recently learned. I bookmarked the NWS URLs that were just
          posted here and will see what I can do with them both from a central
          server publishing the area objects and displaying those objects in
          APRSISCE/32 in some future version.

        • Randy Love
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
            This is just my opinion, Lynn, but I think the warning by polygon should be a snap once you get area objects implemented.

            As Dennis Miller would say, "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

            73,
            Randy
            WF5X

          • Mike Miller
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
              On 1 Dec 2010 at 12:49, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

              > I cannot (and will not, by choice) "take a look" at anything in
              > UI-View. As I stated recently, I do not run any other APRS
              > client on
              > purpose so as to not simply mimic what others have done, but
              > deliver the
              > desired and useful functionality, not just a previously done
              > look-and-feel. If you can describe the function and what you
              > use it for
              > and how you use it, I will listen and attempt to understand.

              Okay, what NWSGet does is download the latest radar image from
              the selected radar site and creates an underlay for the map
              allowing you to zoom and scroll the image along with the map.
              This allows you to see the position of APRS equipped storm
              spotters relative to storm features such as thunderstorm cells.

              I'm sure many spotter groups use more sophisticated weather
              programs. My real use is to allow my APRS display to show me
              when storms move into the area without manually going to the
              NOAA website to check the radar.

              Mike kc9doa
            • Brian Webster
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010

                Lynn,

                                Basically what he is talking about is pulling the public domain weather radar image data and overlaying them on the APRS maps. It becomes an overlay showing the weather radar with the rest of the map being transparent. Many of the APRS programs support this in various forms which is probably why there is the interest. They are somewhat real time but do not update any quicker than every 5 minutes. The people who use this feature like being able to show where storms and such are relative to the objects on the APRS map. I haven’t followed the latest updates to the file format for the data but there are many different implementations of this information in other programs like Google Earth. An auto refresh every 5 minutes of the radar image would be desirable.

                Brian N2KGC