Map appearance?

  • Mike Miller
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2010
      Dumb question. Is there a way to increase the contrast of the
      map display in APRSIS32 ? Map looks good, but is washed out like
      viewing through ground glass.

      I'm a first time user so I have much to learn. It didn't take
      too much effort to get it talking to AGWpe and APRSIS. I've been
      using UI-View for 5 or 6 years.

      Any chance of getting weather radar overlays or equivalent?

      Mike kc9doa
    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Miller" <mike.kc9doa@...> wrote:

        > Dumb question. Is there a way to increase the contrast of the
        > map display in APRSIS32 ? Map looks good, but is washed out like
        > viewing through ground glass.

        That's a FAQ. Hit the right arrow key about 10 times. By default the maps are 50% transparency. Personally I think Lynn should make 0% transparency the default, as I don't think people would complain about the maps being too opaque, but he's the one who usually answers the questions! :)

        > I'm a first time user so I have much to learn. It didn't take
        > too much effort to get it talking to AGWpe and APRSIS. I've been
        > using UI-View for 5 or 6 years.
        >
        > Any chance of getting weather radar overlays or equivalent?

        That's also a fairly FAQ, but you'll have to search the archives as I don't remember the answer.

        Julian, G4ILO
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
          Mike Miller wrote:
          > Any chance of getting weather radar overlays or equivalent?

          Julian already told you about left/right for map transparency
          (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/transparency), but wisely left this one for
          an archive search. If you've already done that, we'll see how
          consistent I'm being...

          Radar overlays require non-APRS-sourced dynamic data that comes from
          other places on the Internet. My intent is to focus primarily on
          directly amateur radio-sourced, preferably APRS-sourced data features
          for APRSISCE/32. So, the short answer is: it's on the bottom of the
          ToDo list. Here's some related features that will be coming first,
          although possibly not soon:

          Area objects - These are APRS-standard objects that draw shapes on the maps

          Weather and Telemetry graphs - Time-accumulated graphs of weather and
          telemetry parameters

          Alternate map pane sources - Provide an easier way to switch to
          user-identified 256x256 pane map panels

          UI-View map support - Abiltiy to use arbitrarily sized/scaled
          (.INF-defined) UI-View maps

          One of my concerns with the radar overlays is the possibility of
          incorrect data display if the defined area boundaries change and the
          user has not yet updated to the current definitions. I error on the
          side of caution rather than incorrect data display since the actual
          alerts don't provide any version reference back to the definitions on
          which they are based. Does anyone know how often the defintions are
          changed anyway?

          And now that I've gone this far, I realize that you asked about
          "radar..or equivalent" which may or may not be related to the weather
          area alerts that I've discussed above. Is this what you're asking about
          or is there another UI-View feature (you mentioned that you've used it
          for years) of which I'm unaware.

          Just to update you all, I've only run UI-View for about a week or so
          well over a year ago. When I learned of the demise of the source code,
          I decided to write my own and remomved UI-View so as not to be unduly
          influenced by what was done before. For a similar reason, I also don't
          run xastir (coupled with the fact that I only ever got it to work in a
          VM, not a native Windows build). So, if you want a feature from one of
          these programs, please be prepared to define the functionality, data
          sources, and appearance that you really want, not just name it or point
          me to what has been done before. I'm trying to advance the state of the
          APRS client by functionality, not mimic what's been done just because
          it's what we might be used to.

          PS. If you download the release notes from the Files section of the
          Yahoo group, my ToDo list and notes are at the bottom.
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
            I agree Julian...lets have ZERO opacity for maps please Lynn!
            73
            Steve W  kf6wax

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
              The definitions are usually changed around twice a year I believe, the boundary changes are very minor as a rule!
              73
              Steve W  kf6wax

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
                Minor each time, or minor as accumulated over time?

                This client may be running with 8-10 year old data sets. How bad would
                it be for someone to not take action because APRSISCE/32 showed that
                they were outside the warning area, but only because that area had been
                moved since their last update?

                My other issue is that when I tried to actually find and download the
                region definitions, they're only available in one place and
                (dis)organized as only a government can design (by committee with N
                levels of oversight).

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Still the paranoid one...

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
                  ZERO opacity = 100% Transparency. Hit your left arrow 20 times and
                  you're there (note that APRSISCE/32 will switch from Mercatur to
                  Azimuthal projection at 100% transparent)

                  If you meant 0% transparency = 100% opacity as Julian said, then hit
                  your right arrow 20 times and you're there.

                  The reason the default is 50% is that I found that opaque maps made the
                  stations harder to see. It's in the middle so people can go either way
                  with ease.

                  Also, no matter what the default is, people will still not read the
                  documentation and will never know it can be different. If the default
                  looks different than the source (http://OpenStreetMap.org, not that
                  they'd ever go there either), then maybe they'll go looking for why.

                  Maybe I need to make a list of "hints" that send themselves to new users
                  at some (random) interval after startup. One of those "Did you know
                  that..." type series that drive us totally to distraction at their
                  inane-ity after the first time we see the series. Yeah, every time we
                  make a new instance of APRSICE/32, we get subjected to the list all over
                  again!

                  Nah, that would never work. New users would still ask the question even
                  when that's the very next "hint" that was going to come up. Either
                  that, or they'd hit the "never show me these again" on the second hint
                  and the effort would be completely wasted.

                  New users are going to do what new users (including me) do, they're
                  going to ask. That's why my goal is to make single-point Wiki pages so
                  that answers can be just a link to the appropriate Wiki page. If I ever
                  get enough of such pages written...

                  PS. Did you know that if you have Configure / Screen / GridSquare
                  checked, you'll see unlabelled gridsquare rectangles on your map at 45
                  and 95% opacity? Helpful to know where the edge of your current square
                  actually is!

                  Steve wrote:

                  > I agree Julian...lets have ZERO opacity for maps please Lynn!
                  > 73
                  > Steve W kf6wax
                  >
                  > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:00 AM, g4ilo <julian.g4ilo@...
                  > <mailto:julian.g4ilo@...>> wrote:
                  >

                  > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mike Miller"
                  > <mike.kc9doa@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dumb question. Is there a way to increase the contrast of the
                  > > map display in APRSIS32 ? Map looks good, but is washed out like
                  > > viewing through ground glass.
                  >
                  > That's a FAQ. Hit the right arrow key about 10 times. By default
                  > the maps are 50% transparency. Personally I think Lynn should make
                  > 0% transparency the default, as I don't think people would
                  > complain about the maps being too opaque, but he's the one who
                  > usually answers the questions! :)
                  >

                  > > I'm a first time user so I have much to learn. It didn't take
                  > > too much effort to get it talking to AGWpe and APRSIS. I've been
                  > > using UI-View for 5 or 6 years.
                  > >
                  > > Any chance of getting weather radar overlays or equivalent?
                  > >

                  > That's also a fairly FAQ, but you'll have to search the archives
                  > as I don't remember the answer.
                  >
                  > Julian, G4ILO

                • Steve
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
                    Just to confirm we are talking about the same thing Lynn, Conus files and so on?
                    If so I have run on 2 year old files and there is hardly any noticable difference in the updated files,
                    73
                    Steve W

                    Steve wrote:

> [...]
                    >     influenced by what was done before. For a similar reason, I also
                    >     don't
                    >     run xastir (coupled with the fact that I only ever got it to work
                    >     in a
                    >     VM, not a native Windows build). So, if you want a feature from
                    >     one of
                    >     these programs, please be prepared to define the functionality, data
                    >     sources, and appearance that you really want, not just name it or
                    >     point
                    >     me to what has been done before. I'm trying to advance the state
                    >     of the
                    >     APRS client by functionality, not mimic what's been done just because
                    >     it's what we might be used to.
                    >
                    >     Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                    >
                    >     PS. If you download the release notes from the Files section of the
                    >     Yahoo group, my ToDo list and notes are at the bottom.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                       aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Randy Love
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
                      This is a bit moot if you are able to get the actual polygon defined warning areas. Warning by county has been keep for backwards compatibility with SAME radios and media consumption. As a rule now, all warnings are issued with an exact polygon defined by coordinates of the area in question. This would preclude the need for those pesky shapefiles that they seem to update twice a year.

                      Like I said, the trick is getting the polygon definition over APRS. They aren't ported (yet anyway) to APRS-IS. Those warnings that are still use the county/zone number definitions, thus requiring the shapefiles to define the warned area.

                      For a little more background, see this page:
                      http://www.weather.gov/sbwarnings/
                      ( I love that they used counties from my home state of Arkansas in the graphic examples :)

                      And here is a page that lists, in brief, the last 10 warnings and their polygon data:
                      http://www.weather.gov/regsci/gis/last10.html

                      Finally, a warning showing the polygon data at the bottom of the message:
                      http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=DTX&issuedby=LWX&product=SVR&format=txt&version=1&glossary=0
                      (This last link is time sensitive, and may not display any data if the last warning is over 72 hours old.)

                      73,
                      Randy
                      WF5X

                      PS. We'll be on the air from K8DTX - NWS Detroit/Pontiac MI for SRD.. :)

                    • Mike Miller
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
                        On 1 Dec 2010 at 6:07, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                        > And now that I've gone this far, I realize that you asked about
                        > "radar..or equivalent" which may or may not be related to the
                        > weather
                        > area alerts that I've discussed above. Is this what you're
                        > asking about
                        > or is there another UI-View feature (you mentioned that you've
                        > used it
                        > for years) of which I'm unaware.

                        Take a look at NWSGet. It is a UI-View add on that only works
                        with Precision Mapping maps, but is one of the most important
                        features of UI-View as far as I'm concerned. It might be
                        difficult to impossible it implement in APRSIS32.
                        <http://www.billdiaz.dynip.com/nwsgetdetails.htm>

                        Also weather warning areas are going to polygons rather than the
                        older shape files so it might be possible to for you to display
                        them when they are available.

                        Mike kc9doa
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
                          Mike Miller wrote:
                          > Take a look at NWSGet. It is a UI-View add on that only works
                          > with Precision Mapping maps, but is one of the most important
                          > features of UI-View as far as I'm concerned. It might be
                          > difficult to impossible it implement in APRSIS32.
                          > <http://www.billdiaz.dynip.com/nwsgetdetails.htm>

                          I cannot (and will not, by choice) "take a look" at anything in
                          UI-View. As I stated recently, I do not run any other APRS client on
                          purpose so as to not simply mimic what others have done, but deliver the
                          desired and useful functionality, not just a previously done
                          look-and-feel. If you can describe the function and what you use it for
                          and how you use it, I will listen and attempt to understand.

                          > Also weather warning areas are going to polygons rather than the
                          > older shape files so it might be possible to for you to display
                          > them when they are available.

                          So I've recently learned. I bookmarked the NWS URLs that were just
                          posted here and will see what I can do with them both from a central
                          server publishing the area objects and displaying those objects in
                          APRSISCE/32 in some future version.

                        • Randy Love
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
                            This is just my opinion, Lynn, but I think the warning by polygon should be a snap once you get area objects implemented.

                            As Dennis Miller would say, "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

                            73,
                            Randy
                            WF5X

                          • Mike Miller
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010
                              On 1 Dec 2010 at 12:49, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                              > I cannot (and will not, by choice) "take a look" at anything in
                              > UI-View. As I stated recently, I do not run any other APRS
                              > client on
                              > purpose so as to not simply mimic what others have done, but
                              > deliver the
                              > desired and useful functionality, not just a previously done
                              > look-and-feel. If you can describe the function and what you
                              > use it for
                              > and how you use it, I will listen and attempt to understand.

                              Okay, what NWSGet does is download the latest radar image from
                              the selected radar site and creates an underlay for the map
                              allowing you to zoom and scroll the image along with the map.
                              This allows you to see the position of APRS equipped storm
                              spotters relative to storm features such as thunderstorm cells.

                              I'm sure many spotter groups use more sophisticated weather
                              programs. My real use is to allow my APRS display to show me
                              when storms move into the area without manually going to the
                              NOAA website to check the radar.

                              Mike kc9doa
                            • Brian Webster
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 1, 2010

                                Lynn,

                                                Basically what he is talking about is pulling the public domain weather radar image data and overlaying them on the APRS maps. It becomes an overlay showing the weather radar with the rest of the map being transparent. Many of the APRS programs support this in various forms which is probably why there is the interest. They are somewhat real time but do not update any quicker than every 5 minutes. The people who use this feature like being able to show where storms and such are relative to the objects on the APRS map. I haven’t followed the latest updates to the file format for the data but there are many different implementations of this information in other programs like Google Earth. An auto refresh every 5 minutes of the radar image would be desirable.

                                Brian N2KGC