digixform

  • n1naz
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 28, 2010
      Hello
      I have this in my config file, but i'm not seeing a digi log, nor am i seeing any retransmits in my transmit log. What else do i need to do to setup diging?

      <!--DigiXform-->
      <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>
      <!--DigiXform-->

      Yes this is outside of an rf port, and this was edited with aprsis32 closed.
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 15, 2011
        Hi Lynn,

        What is the significance of "digixform" in the Rfport block and the
        "digixform" following the port definitions?

        Thanks!

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 15, 2011
          See http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/digipeating Especially:

          > Note that <DigiXform> elements are currently only honored OUTSIDE of
          > an <RFPort> and are considered to be global in their application.

          I will be doing port-specific Digipeater configuration at some point in
          the future. When that happens, the global one that is used now will
          cease to exist and the one inside the <RfPort>, which is currently
          ignored, will be the valid one. When this happens, the global one will
          be replicated inside all <RfPorts> so the Digipeater behavior across the
          upgrade will not change.

          On 9/15/2011 4:42 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          > Hi Lynn,
          >

          > What is the significance of "digixform" in the Rfport block and the
          > "digixform" following the port definitions?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Fred, N7FMH

        • john_ch_3_vs_16
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 10, 2014
            Good day

            I have read your docs and wanted to ensure this is correct..

            <!--DigiXform-->
            </RFPort>
            <!--RFPort[0]-->

            <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>

            Don
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 10, 2014
              That looks right, if your <DigiXform> line is outside of the <RFPort[x]> definitions.

              Save it, start the program, and watch to see if the program is acting upon packets asking for help from a fill-in digipeater.

              You're not going to permanently damage anything. Amateur radio is all about experimenting and learning. If you are actively working on figuring something out, and screw up the network a bit, so be it. That's part of the learning process.

              If you set something up that is causing problems and leave it working that way causing problems for months on end due to plain old ignorance, that's something a little different.

              Experiment, play, test, and observe. Participate in amateur radio!

              On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:32 PM, <kjv161147265@...> wrote:

              Good day

              I have read your docs and wanted to ensure this is correct..

              <!--DigiXform-->
              </RFPort>
              <!--RFPort[0]-->

              <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>

              Don

            • Tommy Kane
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014

                I am in the process of setting up a repeater and read this on the wiki. Can you confirm that these lines of code need to be added to the xml file as I cannot seem to find any lines with digixform in my xml.

                Thanks,

                Tommy

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014
                  Yes the lines for DigiXform need to be added to the xml, mine are after (not within) the RFport definitions and before my Object definitions as follows:

                  <!--RFPort[6]-->

                  <DigiXform>SGATE=SGATE*</DigiXform>
                  <DigiXform>ARISS=ARISS*</DigiXform>
                  <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>
                  <DigiXform>WIDE2-1=WIDE2*</DigiXform>
                  <DigiXform>WIDE3-1=WIDE3*</DigiXform>

                  <!--Object[0]—>

                  As you can see, I like to use up the last hop to fill-in my little corner of Cumbria since we are generally well served by a Digipeater over in Scotland.

                  73, Colin M0XSD.

                  Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 9:33 AM

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014

                    I did not get your images

                    Here are mine I digipeat everything up to WIDE3-3 and then only longer paths if I have heard them directly

                    <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE2-1=WIDE2*</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE2-2=WIDE2-1</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE3-1=WIDE3*</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE3-2=WIDE3-1</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE3-3=WIDE3-2</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE4-4=WIDE4-3</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE5-5=WIDE5-4</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE6-6=WIDE6-5</DigiXform>

                    <DigiXform>WIDE7-7=WIDE7-6</DigiXform>

                    Steve

                    G6UIM

[...]

                    < o>

                    <!--DigiXform-->

                    </RFPort>

                    <!--RFPort[0]-->

                    <DigiXform>WIDE1-1=WIDE1*</DigiXform>

                    Don

                  • Robert Bruninga
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014

                      Ø  Here are mine I digipeat everything up to WIDE3-3 and then only longer paths if I have heard them directly

                      I prefer the opposite approach.  Stopping spam at its source is an order of magnitude more effective for everyone else.

                      If there are 100 digipeaters that will be spammed when someone sends a 7-7 packet, then just passing it along does nothing to reduce spam.  Yes, the settings below will reduce excessive-hop spam coming in from other areas, but only at this single digi.  Hence a 1% solution to the problem

                      However, if 7-7 was forced to 7-1, and 6-6 was forced to 6-1 and so forth, then this setting solves the problem (reduces the packet to the recommended 2 hop maximum) and eliminates the spam from all the other 99 at once.  And since the digi is stopping and identifying the spam locally, then the source can be contacted locally and advised of proper net operation.

                      Just another way of looking at things.  That is the technique used in the USA under the New-N paradigm.  That is, trap all long-hop paths to a local one digipeat only.

                      Message 11 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014

                        Well not too much of a worry at the moment. That said.

                        I hear M1ABD all the time 62 miles away and also often MB7UR 110 miles away.

                        But soon we hope to have a very well sited system up and running, when it maybe more of an issue.

                        Steve

                        G6UIM

                        Message 12 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014

                          Hi Steve,

                          Was that your full DigiXform entries? If so, what happens if you get a WIDE7-6? I actually know the answer but did you really mean to just drop it?

                          Best regards,

                          Fred N7FMH

                          Message 13 of 13 , Apr 11, 2014

                            My experience in the UK is that anyone running a greater than 3-3 path usually goes for the max IE 7-7 so 7-6 has most likely been digipeated.

                            I don’t really think I want a complicated setup, has 7-6 been digipeated, if not digipeat it scenario. At least local people only need at most one hop.

                            Steve

                            G6UIM