Message Groups

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 17, 2010
      Hi I just tried to use one of my groups to make an announcement and it didnt work, messages, announcements, my groups got nothing then tried
      active groups got nothing, could this be from latest devl update.

      Thanks Rick
    • David John Walsh
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2013
        Hi all,

        Does APRSIS32 implement message groups that allow a one to some conversation to take place?

        By this I mean to provide similar functionality to the way Kenwood hardware implements "Message Group Codes"?

        eg everyone who adds the address 'SAR' to the list would see/be notified of those messages addressed to 'SAR'.

        NB, I don't mean 'altnets' and ANSERV / CQSERV is not a solution I can use as it needs to be a 'radio only' solution that has no central infrastructure.

        As an aside, what is the full list of one to all message addresses APRSIS32 responds to? (I have figured out CQ, QST & ALL; is there more?)

        Thank you for the responses in advance
        David
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 20, 2013
          Just as Kenwood has a special "message group" that they field in addition to the standards that you mention below, APRSISCE/32 will also pick up messages addressed to APRSIS-CE and APRSIS-32.

          While there isn't a menu way to configure it yet, APRSISCE/32 does support the definition of Message Group's in the XML configuration file.  Any message received that matches a configured MessageGroup will be pulled into the notification area, but will not be ack'd.  I believe this is the functionality that you're looking for?  To configure a MessageGroup, follow the instructions at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:editing-xml-configuration and add a line similar to the following, but of course with your own desired group.  There should be a <!-- MessageGroup --> comment in your XML file which provides an anchor point of where to put the new element(s).

          <MessageGroup>SAR-1</MessageGroup>

          Oh, and if you send a message to a configured MessageGroup, APRSISCE/32 should automatically NOT request an ack on that message.

          APRSISCE/32 also has the beginning support for "Companion" callsigns that aren't exactly what you're looking for, but provide a unique bit of functionality.  A Companion (see Configure / Companions) will have position beacons generated for it based on it's own independant GeniusBeaconing configuration set as well as via it's own configurable path.  Messages addressed for Companion Calls will also be picked up and acked, if you check the Messages box in the Companion configuration.  If  you prefer, Companion calls may also beacon as an Object rather than a station, but said object will still GeniusBeacon along with the main station.

          On 1/20/2013 11:27 AM, David John Walsh wrote:
          Hi all,
          based on
          Does APRSIS32 implement message groups that allow a one to some conversation to take place?

          By this I mean to provide similar functionality to the way Kenwood hardware implements "Message Group Codes"?

          eg everyone who adds the address 'SAR' to the list would see/be notified of those messages addressed to 'SAR'.

          NB, I don't mean 'altnets' and ANSERV / CQSERV is not a solution I can use as it needs to be a 'radio only' solution that has no central infrastructure.

          As an aside, what is the full list of one to all message addresses APRSIS32 responds to? (I have figured out CQ, QST & ALL; is there more?)

          Thank you for the responses in advance
          David

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
              aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • David John Walsh
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 20, 2013
            Hi Lynn,

            Thank you for the detailed reply.  I haven't yet tested it but the way you describe the <MessageGroups> sounds exactly like the behaviour that I was looking for.

            Companions sound like a great way to have a tactical call sign  and 2nd visual status on the map - something else to play with.

            Thanks again,
            David
            On 20 Jan 2013, at 19:07, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

            <jjfdhgfi.png>

[...]

          • davidjw79
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
              Hi Lynn.

              Finally had the chance to test the message groups feature. Notification and Ack suppression work as I expected.

              Whilst the conversation view works really well for station to station contacts (and is one of the reasons I like using APRSIS32) it seems to be less well suited for message groups. I think it is because no one ever replies as the message group identifier, so you end up with several 'one-sided conversations' that are not really connected

              I wonder if it would be possible for messages addressed to a message group identifier to feel more like an IRC chat room. The way we would like to use message groups is as a text equivalent of a net / round table as well as for impromptu group Q and A's

              Thanks again for your time reading this,
              David

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 23, 2013
                Well, that would be wonderful, BUT (you knew there'd be a but, right?)  Here's the actual interchange:

                1) YOU send a message to GROUP
                2) THEY have GROUP as a MessageGroup and therefore receive a message
                3) THEY open a Chat window between YOU and THEY (or does it open as an Eavesdrop between YOU and GROUP?)

                In either case, how is APRSISCE/32 supposed to know if THEY reply, should it go to YOU or GROUP?

                I do have plans for a new APRS "Group Chat" feature that will meet your needs perfectly, but it's a long way to finalization.  In my dreams, it will support any number of stations, RF or APRS-IS connected, only one of which actually needs to be an APRSISCE/32 instance.  Even APRS-Message capable radios will be able to participate in my vision of a "Group Chat".  But it's not there yet.  (And, to those knee-jerk reactionaries, rest easy.  My design will hopefully NOT flood the RF with more than required copies of such a message provided that the RF recipients are Group Chat aware, but that's the hard part, isn't it?).

                I guess I'll have to configure up a MessageGroup and see just what the behavior is to determine if I can make it better/easier for THEY to reply to the GROUP instead of YOU.  Of course, I can only make it easier in APRSISCE/32 instances.  For other APRS clients and/or message-capable devices, you're on your own!

                How does a D710 deal with this if it receives a GROUP message from YOU?  Can it easily reply to GROUP rather than YOU?

                PS.  There's even a new APRS-IS filter to better support message groups.  The g/call1/call1/... filter from http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSFilter.aspx

                g/call1/call1/...Group Message filterThis filter passes all message packets with the specified callsign-SSID(s) as the addressee of the message. Supports * wildcard.

                Unfortunately, this is not supported by javAPRSSrvr 3.x so until those servers get replaced across the entire APRS-IS network, I can't rely on this working for MessageGroups, but I will soon be adding a g/ term to the automatic filter for your MessageGroups as well as your Companions and/or MyMessages enables.