Re: Igates

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 10, 2010
      Hi Richard,

      Welcome to the group. I definitely appear on aprs.fi, if you look here: http://aprs.fi/info/a/2E0XSD you will see my Rx only igate (albeit with just the built-in antenna on my FT-290R).

      If you need any help setting up let me know, I monitor S20 most of the day, if you don't get an answer I can't always get straight to the rig or may be busy, so try sending an APRS message to 2E0XSD-12.

      73,
      Colin.

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "mm1bho" <mm1bho@...> wrote:

      > Hi can this system be linked to www.aprs.fi and if so how can I do it..cheers Richard MM1BHO

    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 10, 2010
        Yes, good to see you here, Richard. I also will be more than happy to help with any questions you might have. If you haven't had the password from Lynn yet then the one you used with UI-View should work perfectly well.

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <colin2e0xsd@...> wrote:

        > Hi Richard,
        >
        > Welcome to the group. I definitely appear on aprs.fi, if you look here: http://aprs.fi/info/a/2E0XSD you will see my Rx only igate (albeit with just the built-in antenna on my FT-290R).
        >
        > If you need any help setting up let me know, I monitor S20 most of the day, if you don't get an answer I can't always get straight to the rig or may be busy, so try sending an APRS message to 2E0XSD-12.
        >

        > 73,
        > Colin.
        >
        > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "mm1bho" <mm1bho@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi can this system be linked to www.aprs.fi and if so how can I do it..cheers Richard MM1BHO

      • Steve D
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010

          Getting some serious media coverage now, big story in 3 national papers and being filmed for national TV news.

          Doing my best to promote amateur radio and ballooning.

          In the Times, Telegraph and Mail newspapers and being covered by Sky and BBC news, for those in the states should be on BBC world I think at 7PM US time

          Steve

          G6UIM

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010
            we have 3 times zones to consider and one or two States do not change their clocks at all...lets say "As Advertised" locally!  :p

            73
            Steve W   Charlotte, NC   est

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010
              Eastern, central, mountain, pacific and of course there is Hawaii and Alaska!

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010

                Well the BBC chap said 7PM so yes around that time give or take an hour or two. lol

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010
                  It is probably EST since it is the only time that matters to your side of the pond. ;)

                  And, of course, the is Daylight standard time of which some states don't participate in.

                  I would rather we change the world to UTC that way there is no confusing except for those that don't get the concept.

                  Yes, I do want to take over the world! Muhahaha!

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010
                    and we ALL drive on the RIGHT side of the road and speak english?......now I am scared of your take over the World plans!!!!  LOL

                    73
                    Steve W   kf6wax Charlotte, NC, USA est

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010

                      Well my world take over plans are advancing, you are all going to have to drive on the proper side of the road and spell words correctly for a start.

                      But being serious, it was good to get Amateur Radio and Ballooning some publicity

                      Steve

                      G6UIM

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010

                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11734434

                        for those interested

                        hopefully some with me in later

                        Steve

                        G6UIM

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010

                          BBC world news America what ever time that is on.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010
                            7pm est in the Carolinas

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010
                              Hi All

                              I'm not sure if you lot "The other Side of the Pond " can get access to Aunty
                              Beeb's web site

                              BUT if you can this URL should do

                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/11734434

                              Regards

                              David G8UVE

                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010

                                Have pulled the videos from ITV and BBC sites and will put on youtube, it’s not easy for me to convert from my Sky HD box to pc. Could someone who gets BBC News capture the News of the flight from the BBC and convert to a video file and send to me please.

                                Thanks

                                Steve

                                G6UIM

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010

                                  you looked good Steve D !!!!  LOL!

                                  Steve W

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 11, 2010
                                    On 11/Nov/10 06:58, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                                    > Eastern, central, mountain, pacific and of course there is Hawaii and
                                    > Alaska!

                                    Ahem. Don't forget Atlantic (+4) and Newfoundland (+3 1/2). Really, must
                                    know one's continent fellows.
                                    ; )

                                    73, JD
                                    - happily back on PST
                                  • Randy Love
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 12, 2010
                                      Nice piece.
                                      Good show, fellows.

                                      73,
                                      Randy
                                      WF5X

                                      On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 1:57 AM, VA7OTC JD Erskine <va7otc@...> wrote:

                                      On 11/Nov/10 06:58, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                                      > Eastern, central, mountain, pacific and of course there is Hawaii and
                                      > Alaska!

                                      Ahem. Don't forget Atlantic (+4) and Newfoundland (+3 1/2). Really, must
                                      know one's continent fellows.
                                      ; )

                                      73, JD
                                      - happily back on PST

                                    • Rob Giuliano
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 12, 2010
                                        Now that the whole time zone thing has finally played out (except that we only hit about 8 of the more than 24 - with some on 1/2 hr), we can get back to the APRS stuff - at least I hope so!

                                        I saw this on Yahoo.com
                                        I taped the BBC show last night, but didn't get a chance to watch it.  When I get back from a weekend away, I hope to be able to pull that from the DVR, but not sure I can.

                                        I watched it on the link that was passed here earlier.  GREAT SHOW!  Quite interesting.

                                        Robert Giuliano
                                        KB8RCO

                                        The difference between CW and other digital
                                        modes comes down to 2 characters:
                                        ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
                                        ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 12, 2010

                                          I would be interested in Seeing what was broadcast in America , if I could have a copy it would be great.

                                          I have to copy a couple of videos from TV to put on you tube, I have done 2 so far

                                          BBC National News clip

                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vjOq7jYZxc

                                          ITV Local News Clip

                                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvI6DBCu73E

                                          I have another BBC clip to do and a sky news clip also

                                          We used APRSIS32 to do the tracking, and Lynn helped out with some data analysis during flight

                                          Steve

                                          G6UIM