MA tileset

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2010
      Greetings,

      For those that live in Massachusetts, or frequent the area, you should check
      out these settings:

      <OSM.Server>tile2.toposm.com</OSM.Server>
      <OSM.Port>80</OSM.Port>
      <OSM.URLPrefix>/ma/final/</OSM.URLPrefix>

      It changes the tiles set to topographical tiles. Thanks to Lars Ahlzen,
      these are beautifully rendered! This state provides a lot of data.

      You can also see them here: http://www.toposm.com/ma/

      ------------------------------------
      Fred Hillhouse Jr
      http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?N7FMH
      ------------------------------------
    • w7boz
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010
        They are beautifull. I checked out the ones for the USA. Zoomed into my area. How would I use them here in Northern Utah?
        Kevin
        W7BOZ

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010
          Thanks to Fred for finding and publishing this alternate tile source.
          Be aware that you should also set a different <OSMTiles> directory if
          you change tile sources or they'll be mixed and matched based on what's
          already in the cache.

          Unfortunately Lars has only rendered "final" tiles comprising all layers
          for MA at this time. If you browse to http://toposm.com/us/ you'll be
          able to zoom in on his work on the US, but don't expect to see those
          maps on APRSISCE/32 yet. He's actually doing the multi-image layering
          directly in your browser, something that APRSISCE/32 can't do (yet).
          Even if I do tackle the layering, it'd mean fetching three tiles for
          each 256x256 map region rather than the single tile that covers that
          space today.

          You can read about his work and data sources at
          http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TopOSM/Details

          Consider the following layer tiles from one little piece of the USA
          (It's a small area outside of Johnstown, PA where I was born).

          http://tile1.toposm.com/us/color-relief/12/1151/1545.jpg
          http://tile1.toposm.com/us/contours/12/1151/1545.png
          http://tile1.toposm.com/us/features/12/1151/1545.png

          Pick the right URL prefix and server from those and you could have one
          of those layers in APRSISCE/32, but not all of them until someone
          renders and serves merged tiles or APRSISCE/32 handles the layering.

          PS. If anyone knows of other sources of non-license-encumbered tile
          sources, I'm considering adding a feature to APRSISCE/32 to make it
          easier to switch tile sources. Just be aware that you should also give
          each tile set it's own OSMTiles directory in the meantime!

          w7boz wrote:
          > They are beautifull. I checked out the ones for the USA. Zoomed into my area. How would I use them here in Northern Utah?
          > Kevin
          > W7BOZ
          >
          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Greetings,
          >>

          >> For those that live in Massachusetts, or frequent the area, you should check
          >> out these settings:
          >>
          >> <OSM.Server>tile2.toposm.com</OSM.Server>
          >> <OSM.Port>80</OSM.Port>
          >> <OSM.URLPrefix>/ma/final/</OSM.URLPrefix>
          >>
          >> It changes the tiles set to topographical tiles. Thanks to Lars Ahlzen,
          >> these are beautifully rendered! This state provides a lot of data.
          >>
          >> You can also see them here: http://www.toposm.com/ma/
          >>

          >> ------------------------------------
          >> Fred Hillhouse Jr
          >> http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?N7FMH
          >> ------------------------------------

        • Fred Hillhouse Jr
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010

            Hi Kevin,

            I don’t think Massachusetts maps will be useful in Utah unless you are planning a trip to there. ;)

            The other maps on the TopOSM server are not in a usable format yet as far as I can tell. I played around quite awhile and could not come up with any working solution.

            Another option is the CycleMap. There are a set of topographical tiles that are focused around bicycling. So you end up with bike paths or trips. For instance, the Moab Bike Trial may be on it. There are several rides in New England for raising money for cancer and other ailments and I have seen them there as well.

            I used to live in Sandy and travel to Moab on a regular basis for mountain biking and 4 wheeling. We used to camp out away from everything. Lot of fun! Topographical maps are the only way to go.

            If you wish to explore the CycleMap option, then this is what you need:

            <OSM.Server>andy.sandbox.cloudmade.com</OSM.Server>

            <OSM.Port>80</OSM.Port>

            <OSM.URLPrefix>/tiles/cycle/</OSM.URLPrefix>

            Those can be copied and pasted right over the same settings in your XML file.

            In some areas, you will find there is not a tile available. But, if you go back later, the tile will have been rendered and is available. Tiles are rendered on an “as needed” basis beyond some level of zoom. I do not remember what level of zoom they will go to. By the way, I go back 1 or 2 days later and the tile is usually there.

            When working with alternate tiles, I create secondary directories for APRSIS32. I now have several directories. I have named them something like this:

            APRSIS32 – uses the tile set that is standard in the XML file

            APRSIS32-MA - uses the tile set below of Massashusetts

            APRSIS32-CM – uses CycleMaps

            One I will add may be a night vision type. I saw one recently on the OSM Wiki that I may check out.

            Best regards,

            Fred, N7FMH (the 7 is from UT)

            They are beautifull. I checked out the ones for the USA . Zoomed into my area. How would I use them here in Northern Utah ?
            Kevin
            W7BOZ

            > Greetings,
            >

            > For those that live in Massachusetts ,
            or frequent the area, you should check
            > out these settings:
            >
            > <OSM.Server>tile2.toposm.com</OSM.Server>
            > <OSM.Port>80</OSM.Port>
            > <OSM.URLPrefix>/ma/final/</OSM.URLPrefix>
            >
            > It changes the tiles set to topographical tiles. Thanks to Lars Ahlzen,
            > these are beautifully rendered! This state provides a lot of data.
            >
            > You can also see them here: http://www.toposm.com/ma/
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            > Fred Hillhouse Jr
            > http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?N7FMH
            > ------------------------------------

          • g4ilo
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010
              There is a similar project to provide free topographical maps of the UK: http://free-map.org.uk/freemap/index.php . Unfortunately in the UK, the survey data made by the taxpayer funded Ordnance Survey is NOT all freely available to the people who paid for it so they have used out-of-copyright maps for some of the information and are relying on users for the rest. I think it mainly covers areas popular with walkers etc. However as I live in one of those areas it would be great if we could use these maps in APRSISCE!

              Julian, G4ILO

              > PS. If anyone knows of other sources of non-license-encumbered tile
              > sources, I'm considering adding a feature to APRSISCE/32 to make it
              > easier to switch tile sources. Just be aware that you should also give
              > each tile set it's own OSMTiles directory in the meantime!

            • Fred Eckert
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010
                Hi Fred,

                I am extremely interested in a "night vision" map tile-set as I hope to be running APRSIS32 mobile on an in-dash display at some point.

                Please keep us updated on your findings.

                Thx & 73,
                Fred KJ4LFJ

                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse Jr" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                > Hi Kevin,
                >

                > I don't think Massachusetts maps will be useful in Utah unless you are
                > planning a trip to there. ;)
                >

                > The other maps on the TopOSM server are not in a usable format yet as far as
                > I can tell. I played around quite awhile and could not come up with any
                > working solution.
                >

                > Another option is the CycleMap. There are a set of topographical tiles that
                > are focused around bicycling. So you end up with bike paths or trips. For
                > instance, the Moab Bike Trial may be on it. There are several rides in New
                > England for raising money for cancer and other ailments and I have seen them
                > there as well.
                >

                > I used to live in Sandy and travel to Moab on a regular basis for mountain
                > biking and 4 wheeling. We used to camp out away from everything. Lot of fun!
                > Topographical maps are the only way to go.
                >

                > If you wish to explore the CycleMap option, then this is what you need:
                >
                > <OSM.Server>andy.sandbox.cloudmade.com</OSM.Server>
                >
                > <OSM.Port>80</OSM.Port>
                >
                > <OSM.URLPrefix>/tiles/cycle/</OSM.URLPrefix>
                >

                > Those can be copied and pasted right over the same settings in your XML
                > file.
                >

                > In some areas, you will find there is not a tile available. But, if you go
                > back later, the tile will have been rendered and is available. Tiles are
                > rendered on an "as needed" basis beyond some level of zoom. I do not
                > remember what level of zoom they will go to. By the way, I go back 1 or 2
                > days later and the tile is usually there.
                >

                > When working with alternate tiles, I create secondary directories for
                > APRSIS32. I now have several directories. I have named them something like
                > this:
                >
                > APRSIS32 - uses the tile set that is standard in the XML file
                >
                > APRSIS32-MA - uses the tile set below of Massashusetts
                >
                > APRSIS32-CM - uses CycleMaps
                >

                > One I will add may be a night vision type. I saw one recently on the OSM
                > Wiki that I may check out.
                >

                > Best regards,
                >
                > Fred, N7FMH (the 7 is from UT)
                >

                > _____

              • Steve D
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 30, 2010

                  Hi all

                  Well the launch finally went ahead and we managed to get some great photos from the balloon and video of our plane detaching.

                  Both were more easily found than we anticipated, both landed within yards of tracks and were very easy to find. Although I did have problems getting a signal from the plane.

                  The 2m GPS tracker worked very well, any one wanting to borrow it for a balloon flight is welcome. It’s 5W on 2M and has a1800mah lipo battery, it lasts at least 10 hours transmitting every 20s

                  I hope to get some inflight pics and video soon in for now there are some stills of the project here

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/55275664@N05/

                  Steve

                  G6UIM

                  _._,___

                • M E
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
                    Lynn, this would be an awesome thing as I want to use this for Search and Rescue.

                    What's the chances of building a few Search and Rescue features into the program as well?

                    And.. How about an easy way to download a large area worth of tiles?  I need the system to be able to be completely stand alone..

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
                      http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/map-prefetch

                      If you can describe what you mean by "Search and Rescue features" I can
                      add them to the list and do them as time avails itself.