RE: [aprsisce] Re: USB Soundcard

  • Fred Hillhouse Jr
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 23, 2010

      Hi Julian,

      I have wanted to do an I-Gate at home for some time. Learning about TrueTTY and other options is good. For home, I figure I could use the audio ports and a serial port; these exist on the desk top. A separate sound card is probably the answer.

      I was thinking also about a mobile setup. Since I have been playing with APRSIS32 mobile, I got thinking that a USB sound card could actually reside in a radio. Mine is probably big enough to fit one. I don’t know how much interference there would be but then that is one reason to try it. The SignaLink looks really nice. It is a bit big and the audio controls are knobs. I would prefer digital pots and everything control through the USB interface. Can’t have everything.

      Later!

      Fred

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 23, 2010
        Hi Fred.

        I did think about putting a USB interface into my K2. There is plenty of space inside it since it is the 10W version. Instead I made up an external interface. You can read about it here: http://www.g4ilo.com/usblink.html. This is what I use for HF APRS (or would be using if my K2 wasn't in two halves at the moment.) It has VOX to solve the problem of two sound card programs (TrueTTY and APRS Messenger) both needing to PTT. The VOX circuit is based on the one by Skip Teller KH6TY in QST about 18 months ago.

        The knobs on the SignaLink are handy to adjust the power for PSK31 when you are using different bands but if you are just going to operate on a fixed frequency with APRS you can just set it up using the computer mixer sliders and leave it.

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse Jr" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

        > Hi Julian,
        >

        > I have wanted to do an I-Gate at home for some time. Learning about TrueTTY
        > and other options is good. For home, I figure I could use the audio ports
        > and a serial port; these exist on the desk top. A separate sound card is
        > probably the answer.
        >

        > I was thinking also about a mobile setup. Since I have been playing with
        > APRSIS32 mobile, I got thinking that a USB sound card could actually reside
        > in a radio. Mine is probably big enough to fit one. I don't know how much
        > interference there would be but then that is one reason to try it. The
        > SignaLink looks really nice. It is a bit big and the audio controls are
        > knobs. I would prefer digital pots and everything control through the USB
        > interface. Can't have everything.
        >

        > Later!
        >
        > Fred
        >

        > _____

      • Robin Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 25, 2010
          Hi Julian,
          Where does one get this TrueTTY and price.
          Cheers,
          Robin.

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...>
          wrote:

          > APRSISCE/32 still only supports a single channel via AGW. My 2m IGate
          > is actually a completely setup so that it is available 24x7, unlike my
          > laptop that sometimes shuts down to go mobile. My 2m is a copper
          > cactus antenna at 20ft feeding an iCom T22A HT connected to a
          > TinyTrak4
          > (KJ4ERJ-7) with a serial bluetooth device. Skip the 60 foot air gap
          > lightning arrestor (aka Bluetooth) and you arrive at my server running
          > APRSIS32 as the IGate and WIDE1 Digi (KJ4ERJ-1).
          >
          > Eventually, I hope to relocate the 30m setup to the server, but it
          > will continue to be a separate APRSIS32 instance (KJ4ERJ-2) to assist
          > me in knowing what's working and what's not and to keep one up if the
          > other happens to fail for some reason.

          > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi Lynn,
          > >
          > > That sounds like what I am looking for. Are you running 2 channels;
          > > 30M and 2M? Can it do 2 radios at once?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Fred

          07:34:00
        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
            dxsoft.com. $39.

            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Williams" <phonetech@...> wrote:

            > Hi Julian,
            > Where does one get this TrueTTY and price.
            > Cheers,
            > Robin.

          • Robin Williams
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
              thanks

              > Where does one get this TrueTTY and price.
              > Cheers,
              > Robin.

              07:34:00