USB Soundcard

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
      Greetings,

      I am curious if anyone is using a USB sound card for connecting directly to
      a radio. I think I would like to run an instance of APRSIS32 through one. I
      am looking for opinion, conjecture, recommendations, etc.

      The basic goal is obviously APRS (144.39) but to be able to work on 30M
      would be nice too. I am thinking the MIC and OUTPUT (line out preferred?)
      need to have two channels.

      Thanks!

      Best regards,
      Fred
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
        Fred,

        I finally have a Signalink USB bridging my laptop to my iCom 706. I use
        this via AGW PEpro concurrent with APRS Messenger to do 30m APRS both
        AX.25 and PSKnn. I was originally monitoring 30m receive-only with just
        an isolation transformer connecting the phone output on the radio to
        line in on the PC.

        As I see it, the Signalink USB was worth it to me because it:

        1) Provides a completely new sound card to windows. I don't have to
        worry about windows sounds going out over the air.

        2) Provides a single plug interface (USB) to my PC. Not a trio of
        connections (line in/microphone, line out/speakers, COM PTT).

        3) The have a direct control cable for the iCom 706 as well as a
        pre-configured jumper header.

        Installation was so easy that even this software-type did it by
        himself. Install the jumper header, connect a cable to the radio and a
        USB cable to the PC and the hardware is done. Windows 7 64 bit was not
        a problem, but there is a minor Mixer setting that you need to do (per
        software program) to allow the PTT to work (the software needs to be at
        50%).

        APRSIS32 has a TEXT port to APRS Messenger and an AGW port to PEpro and
        I'm online IGating both. As soon as I get more development time,
        APRSISCE/32 will play nicer with the dual interface onto a single radio
        (like staggered transmissions between the two RF ports).

        Fred Hillhouse wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am curious if anyone is using a USB sound card for connecting directly to
        > a radio. I think I would like to run an instance of APRSIS32 through one. I
        > am looking for opinion, conjecture, recommendations, etc.
        >
        > The basic goal is obviously APRS (144.39) but to be able to work on 30M
        > would be nice too. I am thinking the MIC and OUTPUT (line out preferred?)
        > need to have two channels.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Fred

      • Rob Giuliano
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
          I have the MicroHAM USB III which I use for HF digital modes.  I haven't used it with APRSIS (YET!), but I really like the device.

          I have 2 Signalinks (pre-USB version) and went with the USB III because it also added the rig control feature.  Now I have 1 computer connection through USB and a cable to the ICOM IC-7000 which connects to the 13-pin DIN connector and a audio connector for the rig control.  I also run another to the Key input.  Now I can run anything and the computer only has 1 USB cable - FULLY ISOLATED, too.

          having the computer's normal sound card to do other things (warnings, etc) and not sending that over the air (by accident) is a big plus in my mind!

          Robert Giuliano
          KB8RCO

          The difference between CW and other digital
          modes comes down to 2 characters:
          ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
          ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
            Hi Lynn,

            That sounds like what I am looking for. Are you running 2 channels; 30M and 2M? Can it do 2 radios at once?

            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
              Never mind! I looked it up and it only does one radio at a time. Anyone know of something like this that will connect to two radios?

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 22, 2010
                APRSISCE/32 still only supports a single channel via AGW. My 2m IGate
                is actually a completely setup so that it is available 24x7, unlike my
                laptop that sometimes shuts down to go mobile. My 2m is a copper cactus
                antenna at 20ft feeding an iCom T22A HT connected to a TinyTrak4
                (KJ4ERJ-7) with a serial bluetooth device. Skip the 60 foot air gap
                lightning arrestor (aka Bluetooth) and you arrive at my server running
                APRSIS32 as the IGate and WIDE1 Digi (KJ4ERJ-1).

                Eventually, I hope to relocate the 30m setup to the server, but it will
                continue to be a separate APRSIS32 instance (KJ4ERJ-2) to assist me in
                knowing what's working and what's not and to keep one up if the other
                happens to fail for some reason.

                Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                > Hi Lynn,
                >
                > That sounds like what I am looking for. Are you running 2 channels;
                > 30M and 2M? Can it do 2 radios at once?
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Fred

              • g4ilo
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 23, 2010
                  You can use a regular sound card to connect to two radios. AGWPE puts the audio for one radio on one channel and the second radio for the other. But you will need to set up PTT switching using a serial port. I think AGWPE lets you control one radio using the DTR signal and the other using RTS but as I have never done this I haven't paid too much attention to it so I may be wrong about that.

                  Julian, G4ILO

                  > Never mind! I looked it up and it only does one radio at a time. Anyone know
                  > of something like this that will connect to two radios?
                  >

                  > _____

                • g4ilo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 23, 2010
                    You could probably do two channels using two separate instances of TrueTTY. The only trouble with that is you would then need two sound cards and two serial ports.

                    One reason why you might want to use TrueTTY anyway is that it uses the 11025Hz sample rate. AGWPE uses 22050 I believe and many of the cheap USB sound devices (and even some of the on board sound cards) apparently have trouble with that. It looks like it is working but you don't decode any packets.

                    Julian, G4ILO

                    > APRSISCE/32 still only supports a single channel via AGW. My 2m IGate
                    > is actually a completely setup so that it is available 24x7, unlike my
                    > laptop that sometimes shuts down to go mobile. My 2m is a copper cactus
                    > antenna at 20ft feeding an iCom T22A HT connected to a TinyTrak4
                    > (KJ4ERJ-7) with a serial bluetooth device. Skip the 60 foot air gap
                    > lightning arrestor (aka Bluetooth) and you arrive at my server running
                    > APRSIS32 as the IGate and WIDE1 Digi (KJ4ERJ-1).
                    >
                    > Eventually, I hope to relocate the 30m setup to the server, but it will
                    > continue to be a separate APRSIS32 instance (KJ4ERJ-2) to assist me in
                    > knowing what's working and what's not and to keep one up if the other
                    > happens to fail for some reason.

                    > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Hi Lynn,
                    > >
                    > > That sounds like what I am looking for. Are you running 2 channels;
                    > > 30M and 2M? Can it do 2 radios at once?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > Fred

                  • Fred Hillhouse Jr
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 23, 2010

                      Hi Julian,

                      I have wanted to do an I-Gate at home for some time. Learning about TrueTTY and other options is good. For home, I figure I could use the audio ports and a serial port; these exist on the desk top. A separate sound card is probably the answer.

                      I was thinking also about a mobile setup. Since I have been playing with APRSIS32 mobile, I got thinking that a USB sound card could actually reside in a radio. Mine is probably big enough to fit one. I don’t know how much interference there would be but then that is one reason to try it. The SignaLink looks really nice. It is a bit big and the audio controls are knobs. I would prefer digital pots and everything control through the USB interface. Can’t have everything.

                      Later!

                      Fred

                      You could probably do two channels using two separate instances of TrueTTY. The only trouble with that is you would then need two sound cards and two serial ports.

                      One reason why you might want to use TrueTTY anyway is that it uses the 11025Hz sample rate. AGWPE uses 22050 I believe and many of the cheap USB sound devices (and even some of the on board sound cards) apparently have trouble with that. It looks like it is working but you don't decode any packets.

                      Julian, G4ILO

                      > APRSISCE/32 still only supports a single channel via AGW. My 2m IGate
                      > is actually a completely setup so that it is available 24x7, unlike my
                      > laptop that sometimes shuts down to go mobile. My 2m is a copper cactus
                      > antenna at 20ft feeding an iCom T22A HT connected to a TinyTrak4
                      > (KJ4ERJ-7) with a serial bluetooth device. Skip the 60 foot air gap
                      > lightning arrestor (aka Bluetooth) and you arrive at my server running
                      > APRSIS32 as the IGate and WIDE1 Digi (KJ4ERJ-1).
                      >
                      > Eventually, I hope to relocate the 30m setup to the server, but it will
                      > continue to be a separate APRSIS32 instance (KJ4ERJ-2) to assist me in
                      > knowing what's working and what's not and to keep one up if the other
                      > happens to fail for some reason.
                      >
                      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for
                      Windows Mobile and Win32

                      > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Hi Lynn ,
                      > >
                      > > That sounds like what I am looking for. Are you running 2 channels;
                      > > 30M and 2M? Can it do 2 radios at once?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!
                      > >
                      > > Fred

                    • g4ilo
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 23, 2010
                        Hi Fred.

                        I did think about putting a USB interface into my K2. There is plenty of space inside it since it is the 10W version. Instead I made up an external interface. You can read about it here: http://www.g4ilo.com/usblink.html. This is what I use for HF APRS (or would be using if my K2 wasn't in two halves at the moment.) It has VOX to solve the problem of two sound card programs (TrueTTY and APRS Messenger) both needing to PTT. The VOX circuit is based on the one by Skip Teller KH6TY in QST about 18 months ago.

                        The knobs on the SignaLink are handy to adjust the power for PSK31 when you are using different bands but if you are just going to operate on a fixed frequency with APRS you can just set it up using the computer mixer sliders and leave it.

                        Julian, G4ILO

                        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse Jr" <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Julian,
                        >

                        > I have wanted to do an I-Gate at home for some time. Learning about TrueTTY
                        > and other options is good. For home, I figure I could use the audio ports
                        > and a serial port; these exist on the desk top. A separate sound card is
                        > probably the answer.
                        >

                        > I was thinking also about a mobile setup. Since I have been playing with
                        > APRSIS32 mobile, I got thinking that a USB sound card could actually reside
                        > in a radio. Mine is probably big enough to fit one. I don't know how much
                        > interference there would be but then that is one reason to try it. The
                        > SignaLink looks really nice. It is a bit big and the audio controls are
                        > knobs. I would prefer digital pots and everything control through the USB
                        > interface. Can't have everything.
                        >

                        > Later!
                        >
                        > Fred
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Robin Williams
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 25, 2010
                          Hi Julian,
                          Where does one get this TrueTTY and price.
                          Cheers,
                          Robin.

                          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <kj4erj@...>
                          wrote:

                          > APRSISCE/32 still only supports a single channel via AGW. My 2m IGate
                          > is actually a completely setup so that it is available 24x7, unlike my
                          > laptop that sometimes shuts down to go mobile. My 2m is a copper
                          > cactus antenna at 20ft feeding an iCom T22A HT connected to a
                          > TinyTrak4
                          > (KJ4ERJ-7) with a serial bluetooth device. Skip the 60 foot air gap
                          > lightning arrestor (aka Bluetooth) and you arrive at my server running
                          > APRSIS32 as the IGate and WIDE1 Digi (KJ4ERJ-1).
                          >
                          > Eventually, I hope to relocate the 30m setup to the server, but it
                          > will continue to be a separate APRSIS32 instance (KJ4ERJ-2) to assist
                          > me in knowing what's working and what's not and to keep one up if the
                          > other happens to fail for some reason.

                          > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Hi Lynn,
                          > >
                          > > That sounds like what I am looking for. Are you running 2 channels;
                          > > 30M and 2M? Can it do 2 radios at once?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks!
                          > >
                          > > Fred

                          07:34:00
                        • g4ilo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
                            dxsoft.com. $39.

                            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Robin Williams" <phonetech@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Julian,
                            > Where does one get this TrueTTY and price.
                            > Cheers,
                            > Robin.

                          • Robin Williams
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 26, 2010
                              thanks

                              > Where does one get this TrueTTY and price.
                              > Cheers,
                              > Robin.

                              07:34:00