Message delay puzzle

  • Greg D
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2010
      Hi Lynn,

      Ok, so I slept in this morning so I should have a clear mind, but this
      is weird...

      As you know, I've lashed up my TNC to my main computer (not the "server"
      which is still sick), and am using APRSIS32 in Wine to run my iGate.
      Late last night I got it running, and tried once to do a bi-directional
      message. My usual test is to query WinLink for any messages. Hit
      Transmit. Heard nothing back. Went to bed.

      This morning I try again, keeping careful watch on the blinking lights
      and such. I have my D7 HT set on ExtraLow power, so the Digi 20mi up
      the road won't hear it. Send a message of "L" to WLNK-1. Nothing.
      It's not showing up, but I do see KO6TH-12 scrolling by on the left...
      Ah, it doesn't know where I am. Send a position beacon from the HT.
      There I am. Yay.

      Send another "L" to Winlink. I see the message indicator scrolling by
      on the left. I see the TNC go into transmit, I see the radio Tx light
      come on. Nothing on the D7. Silence. Send a message from APRSIS32 to
      the D7. The TNC and radio lights blink, but nothing on the D7.

      Then as I sit here puzzling, several MINUTES later, the D7 cheerfully
      chirps that I have a message, and sends an acknowledgment message back.
      You can see it all on aprs.fi.

      So, bi-directional is working. Sort of. What path did the message
      take, and why did it take so long?

      I've tried it again, and it seemed to be faster, but still a delay.
      Also tried sending a message directly from APRSIS32 to the HT, and that
      worked as expected.

      Is this anything to worry about?

      Greg KO6TH

      p.s. I've decided how to get my iGate back on the air, but it will be
      going back to Xastir. The Server is too old to run APRSIS32 under Wine,
      and though I like APRSIS32 better, I have higher priorities than to
      rebuild the entire machine.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2010
        If you can turn on a few trace logs and do that test again, we can
        probably figure it out. Check Transmit, Packets, IGate, Digi, and
        whatever you called your RF port under Enables / Logging. Then do your
        test. After that, hit Enabled / Logging / All OFF and close the
        client. E-mail the APRSIS32*.LOG files to KJ4ERJ@....

        If you want to watch the logs realtime, just bring them up one at a time
        via Enables / View Logs / <name of log>. Make sure the menu on the
        window says "Disable" which indicates that the log itself is enabled and
        will show all messages that the software sends to it. (Hit the Enable /
        Disable menu option and watch the bottom of the window to know for sure
        what state the trace log is in).

        Greg D wrote:
        > Hi Lynn,
        >
        > Ok, so I slept in this morning so I should have a clear mind, but this
        > is weird...
        >
        > As you know, I've lashed up my TNC to my main computer (not the "server"
        > which is still sick), and am using APRSIS32 in Wine to run my iGate.
        > Late last night I got it running, and tried once to do a bi-directional
        > message. My usual test is to query WinLink for any messages. Hit
        > Transmit. Heard nothing back. Went to bed.
        >
        > This morning I try again, keeping careful watch on the blinking lights
        > and such. I have my D7 HT set on ExtraLow power, so the Digi 20mi up
        > the road won't hear it. Send a message of "L" to WLNK-1. Nothing.
        > It's not showing up, but I do see KO6TH-12 scrolling by on the left...
        > Ah, it doesn't know where I am. Send a position beacon from the HT.
        > There I am. Yay.
        >
        > Send another "L" to Winlink. I see the message indicator scrolling by
        > on the left. I see the TNC go into transmit, I see the radio Tx light
        > come on. Nothing on the D7. Silence. Send a message from APRSIS32 to
        > the D7. The TNC and radio lights blink, but nothing on the D7.
        >
        > Then as I sit here puzzling, several MINUTES later, the D7 cheerfully
        > chirps that I have a message, and sends an acknowledgment message back.
        > You can see it all on aprs.fi.
        >
        > So, bi-directional is working. Sort of. What path did the message
        > take, and why did it take so long?
        >
        > I've tried it again, and it seemed to be faster, but still a delay.
        > Also tried sending a message directly from APRSIS32 to the HT, and that
        > worked as expected.
        >
        > Is this anything to worry about?
        >
        > Greg KO6TH
        >
        > p.s. I've decided how to get my iGate back on the air, but it will be
        > going back to Xastir. The Server is too old to run APRSIS32 under Wine,
        > and though I like APRSIS32 better, I have higher priorities than to
        > rebuild the entire machine.

      • Steve D
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2010

          G6UIM-11 for the Balloon with a Balloon symbol on 144.800MHz running through the Spanish APRS system. Beacon text /EA PARIS Balloon Transmit every 30 seconds

          G6UIM-12 for the plane with a plane symbol on 433.800MHz  this might feed Spanish APRS. Beacon text /EA PARIS Plane Transmit every 10 seconds

          G6UIM-9 Chase car with a car symbol, this will be listening to the plane, and will connect to the internet to transmit planes location and it’s own. This will transmit it’s location using smart beaconing, so will vary on timing. Will transmit Received APRS as it gets the info. Beacon text /EA PARIS Chase car

          EA/G6UIM Morse beacon transmitting on 432.055MHz beacon text PARIS Balloon Beacon otherwise beeps once a second

          If you want to use the PARIS call on the plane it will have to be in the ISM band where it is at the moment, and fight with things like garage door openers. Probably not an issue as out in the sticks and everything low power.

          Second car will be RX over the net only so callsign not required. They can chase the balloon via the APRS feed from Spanish system. And the feed from the 1st car.

          launch detect on the plane, this sends on the APRS feed just before altitude

          * : Detecting base altitude

          ^ :Waiting for launch

          V : Launch detected

          ._,___