Configuring TNC via TCP/IP

  • Stian Espe - LA2YSA
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2010
      Hi Lynn,

      Im having some problems when i try to configure my Kenwood TM-D710`s TNC via LAN connections.. ( Using a serial to LAN media-converter in between)

      Im receiving data from the TNC, but when i try to "Transmit" a beacon, the program crashes, it also only crashes when the "Xmit Enabled" is enabled in Port Configuration.

      Contact me if you need the IP & Port number to my TNC to test this, or need any logs or so.. =)

      Thanks,
    • Eric Coulombe
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2010
        Same issue with my KPC3 plugged into a Lantronix UDS1100 (Serial to ethernet) When I create a "virtual" serial port with the CommPort Redirector software, everything is working well... just like a real serial connection. But, if I configure a my USD1100 to act as a telnet server and the APRSIS32 Kiss port via TCP... the OpenCMD and CloseCMD doesn't work. I have to put my tnc in and out of the kiss mode manually via a telnet client.

        I think it could be a great feature to connect a TNC via ethernet without any CommPortRedirector software, so you can use different computer on the network to access the TNC... or even outside the local network (but we have a security risk here...)

        I was thinking that I was the only one to use this kind of setup...

        73!
        Eric - VA2EC

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2010
          AH! I think I see the problem, now that you actually describe the
          hardware and connection you're trying to use. Let me do some sleuthing
          through the software and see what I can find. I may be able to
          accomplish what you're describing. Watch this space hopefully sometime
          tomorrow (aka 12-24 hours from now).

          PS. Stian, if your offer of IP access to your D710 still holds, can you
          e-mail the information and your APRSIS32.XML configuration file to me at
          KJ4ERJ@.... We can maybe work out a time that works for both of us
          to debug your crash.

          Eric Coulombe wrote:
          > Same issue with my KPC3 plugged into a Lantronix UDS1100 (Serial to ethernet) When I create a "virtual" serial port with the CommPort Redirector software, everything is working well... just like a real serial connection. But, if I configure a my USD1100 to act as a telnet server and the APRSIS32 Kiss port via TCP... the OpenCMD and CloseCMD doesn't work. I have to put my tnc in and out of the kiss mode manually via a telnet client.
          >
          > I think it could be a great feature to connect a TNC via ethernet without any CommPortRedirector software, so you can use different computer on the network to access the TNC... or even outside the local network (but we have a security risk here...)
          >
          > I was thinking that I was the only one to use this kind of setup...
          >
          > 73!
          > Eric - VA2EC
          >
          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Stian Espe - LA2YSA" <espe@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi Lynn,
          >>
          >> Im having some problems when i try to configure my Kenwood TM-D710`s TNC via LAN connections.. ( Using a serial to LAN media-converter in between)
          >>
          >> Im receiving data from the TNC, but when i try to "Transmit" a beacon, the program crashes, it also only crashes when the "Xmit Enabled" is enabled in Port Configuration.
          >>
          >> Contact me if you need the IP & Port number to my TNC to test this, or need any logs or so.. =)
          >>
          >> Thanks,

        • Stian Espe - LA2YSA
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2010
            Lynn,

            I dont have your full email address, could someone reply this to me so i could send you the IP address and stuff.. =)

            > AH! I think I see the problem, now that you actually describe the
            > hardware and connection you're trying to use. Let me do some sleuthing
            > through the software and see what I can find. I may be able to
            > accomplish what you're describing. Watch this space hopefully sometime
            > tomorrow (aka 12-24 hours from now).

            > PS. Stian, if your offer of IP access to your D710 still holds, can you
            > e-mail the information and your APRSIS32.XML configuration file to me at
            > KJ4ERJ@... We can maybe work out a time that works for both of us
            > to debug your crash.
            >
            > Eric Coulombe wrote:
            > > Same issue with my KPC3 plugged into a Lantronix UDS1100 (Serial to ethernet) When I create a "virtual" serial port with the CommPort Redirector software, everything is working well... just like a real serial connection. But, if I configure a my USD1100 to act as a telnet server and the APRSIS32 Kiss port via TCP... the OpenCMD and CloseCMD doesn't work. I have to put my tnc in and out of the kiss mode manually via a telnet client.
            > >
            > > I think it could be a great feature to connect a TNC via ethernet without any CommPortRedirector software, so you can use different computer on the network to access the TNC... or even outside the local network (but we have a security risk here...)
            > >
            > > I was thinking that I was the only one to use this kind of setup...
            > >
            > > 73!
            > > Eric - VA2EC
            > >
            > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Stian Espe - LA2YSA" <espe@> wrote:
            > >
            > >> Hi Lynn,
            > >>
            > >> Im having some problems when i try to configure my Kenwood TM-D710`s TNC via LAN connections.. ( Using a serial to LAN media-converter in between)
            > >>
            > >> Im receiving data from the TNC, but when i try to "Transmit" a beacon, the program crashes, it also only crashes when the "Xmit Enabled" is enabled in Port Configuration.
            > >>
            > >> Contact me if you need the IP & Port number to my TNC to test this, or need any logs or so.. =)
            > >>
            > >> Thanks,

          • Stian Espe - LA2YSA
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 19, 2010
              Lynn,

              I finally have got the Car system up and running again (managed to blast my 12v 15A remote relay, so had to order a new from China), and we could go ahead with some troubleshooting around this.

              I have tested the latest dev (build 2010/10/18 08:12), as you say in the release note, it does not crash, but i think we have introduced a new error.. When i have Xmit disabled, data is coming in fine via TCPIP, but when i activate the Xmit, the data will not come in anymore.. I am also loosing the NMEA data from the GPS into APRSIS32 simultaneously (also via TCPIP).

              Could it be a crash in the underlaying Comdirector software?

              Anyhow, I will power-up my system tomorrow, and you could play around with my streamed data via the WorldWildWeb.. =))

              Cheers,
              Stian - LA2YSA