ANSRVR - Announcement server support (CQSRVR replacement)

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2010
      The latest development version (2010/09/30 16:05) has replaced the
      CQSRVR support with a new ANSRVR that works like CQSRVR except that it
      directly supports "lurking" in a list (sending message-less Keep-Alives
      to keep your membership fresh). The Messages / CQSRVR cascading menu
      has been changed to Messages / Announcements. All of your currently
      configured CQSRVR groups will automatically change to the same-named
      ANSRVR group on their next refresh interval.

      To send a message to an announcement group, you can either change the
      Announcement's CQ Text and poke Send, or send "CQ <Group> Announcement
      Text" to ANSRVR via a Send Message / Chat.

      ANSRVR supports the following APRS message-based commands:

      ? - Show all groups (# in parens is number of members)
      ? group - Show member count in group
      L - List groups you are a member of (with member count including self)
      J group - Join group quietly
      CQ group text - Join group and send text to all current members
      U group - Unjoin group

      PS. You can now safely check Keep Active AND Quietly to remain
      interested in an Announcement group. You will still receive a
      confirmation message for each refresh, but the group itself will remain
      quietly unaware of your lurking er monitoring.
    • Rob Giuliano
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2010
        Not to push things, but is this goign to be "full released" before the balloon action later this month.

        Just wondering of I should join the development version or not to help me monitor this balloon event.

        Thanks for the FINE product!

        Robert Giuliano
        KB8RCO

        The difference between CW and other digital
        modes comes down to 2 characters:
        ASCII Character 32 (hex 20) a defined space
        ASCII Character 12 (hex 0C) a carriage return (line designation)

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2010

          Hi

          Well ANSRVR is separate to APRSIS, you don’t need to be an APRSIS user to make use of the server. That said the APRSIS keepalive makes ANSRVR easier to use.

          I chatted with Lynn and I think he is working on making it easier for Non APSIS users to use.

          I have found the Development versions are usually fairly stable and if a bug does creep in it’s usually sorted very quickly. If you backup your xml file it’s easy to go back to the stable release, you just set the dev entry back in the XML and click about and it will change back  to stable. Although sometimes there is an XML change, hence having a backup is handy.

          Steve

          G6UIM

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2010
            Yes, I hope so. Unless I hear of a show-stopper before Monday, the
            current development version will probably go general release early in
            the week. That will open me up to work on the next gut-wrenching
            implementation, probably RF-port specific configurations and enables
            (the various check-boxes in the RFPort configuration).

            Putting out the call again - Does anyone know of any major holes in the
            Development version that should get fixed before general release?

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2010

                Not had an issues with the latest release.

                Steve

                G6UIM

                href="mailto:kj4erj%40arrl.net">kj4erj@...>/* wrote:

                > From: Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...>
                > Subject: [aprsisce] ANSRVR - Announcement server support (CQSRVR
                > replacement)
                > To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Thursday, September 30, 2010, 4:17 PM
                >

                > The latest development version (2010/09/30 16:05) has replaced the
                > CQSRVR support with a new ANSRVR that works like CQSRVR except
                > that it
                > directly supports "lurking" in a list (sending message-less
                > Keep-Alives
                > to keep your membership fresh). The Messages / CQSRVR cascading menu
                > has been changed to Messages / Announcements. All of your currently
                > configured CQSRVR groups will automatically change to the same-named
                > ANSRVR group on their next refresh interval.
                >
                > To send a message to an announcement group, you can either change the
                > Announcement's CQ Text and poke Send, or send "CQ <Group>
                > Announcement
                > Text" to ANSRVR via a Send Message / Chat.
                >
                > ANSRVR supports the following APRS message-based commands:
                >
                > ? - Show all groups (# in parens is number of members)
                > ? group - Show member count in group
                > L - List groups you are a member of (with member count including self)
                > J group - Join group quietly
                > CQ group text - Join group and send text to all current members
                > U group - Unjoin group
                >
                > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for
                Windows Mobile and Win32

                > PS. You can now safely check Keep Active AND Quietly to remain
                > interested in an Announcement group. You will still receive a
                > confirmation message for each refresh, but the group itself will
                > remain
                > quietly unaware of your lurking er monitoring.

              • Colin Catlin
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2010
                  I too have not found any problems with the current version,
                  I think it is ready to be inflicted on the General Users.

                  73,
                  Colin.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2010

                    Hi All

                    I know some of you are interested in the balloon launch I am doing soon. But in order to not go off topic here too often I now have a PARIS thread on http://aprsis.ham-radio-op.net/index.php I will post info there as and when.

                    Also of course I will be using the PARIS group on ANSRVR.

                    Steve

                    G6UIM

                  • n1naz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 16, 2011
                      Lynn when I do a message/announcements/join group it is still saying at the top of the requester "CQSRVR group". Also after joining a group when I do a message/announcement/ the ISS group (which i have joined) is checked but it says ISS(CQRVR). Shouldn't this be ANSRVR? Is this correct?
                      Or maybe I'm just unclear on the concept.
                      This is with the latest dev. release.