Re: [aprsisce] Weather Parsing & Display (2010/09/30 10:24)

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30 8:03 AM
      Because APRS weather is supposed to be followed by a single character
      Software Type and a 2-4 character Weaather Unit Type (see page 63 of
      aprs101.pdf (73 in Acrobat)). I've implemented the published list, but
      I'm going to need to find out what all else is being used out in the
      real world. I tried (and failed) to find an updated list, so I just put
      Unknown(xxxxx) if I don't know what it is yet.

      If you know a station owner that is displaying this way, see if you can
      find out what software and hardware they are using and I'll teach
      APRSISCE/32 about that one. Of course, tell me the callsign-SSID of the
      station as well!

      PS. The known Software/Hardware values are:

      A Weather Report may contain a single-character code S for the type of
      APRS software that is running at the weather station:
      d = APRSdos
      M = MacAPRS
      P = pocketAPRS
      S = APRS+SA
      W = WinAPRS
      X = X-APRS (Linux)

      A Weather Report may contain a 2–4 character code uuuu for the type of
      weather station unit. The following codes have been allocated:
      Dvs = Davis
      HKT = Heathkit
      PIC = PIC device
      RSW = Radio Shack
      U-II = Original Ultimeter U-II (auto mode)
      U2R = Original Ultimeter U-II (remote mode)
      U2k = Ultimeter 500/2000
      U2kr = Remote Ultimeter logger
      U5 = Ultimeter 500
      Upkm = Remote Ultimeter packet mode
      Users may specify any other 2–4 character code for devices not in this list.

      kd4dra wrote:

      > Thanks Lynn
      > Now 1 ? why does it say "Unit: (Uknown(DsIP-)
      >
      > Rick

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 30 8:42 AM
        Thanks again, I was surprised when after bringing up the popup and seeing that, then later noticed when they beacon the next time my temp and wind was showing on the screen, Thanks thats COOL !!!
        Good work !!!
        Rick

      • mwbesemer@cox.net

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 30 9:11 AM
            I see a stupid programmer bust on parsing the _ datatype. I had a [c+1]
            but later changed the loop to start at 1 and neglected to change the
            body. It was supposed to be verifying and skipping the leading mmddhhmm,
            but was looking one character too far.

            It'll be fixed in the next development release. Thanks for noticing it.

            mwbesemer@... wrote:

            > Lynn,
            >
            > Take a look at WA4ORT and let me know what you see.
            >
            > Mike
            > WM4B
            >

            > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
            >
            > One line from the upcoming release notes:
            >
            > APRSISCE/32 now parses APRS weather (not any proprietary format yet) and
            > displays it in the station popup. At least it's not in the comment any
            > more! And there's new Configure / Metric options to go with it along
            > with View / Label / Weather to show Temp and Windspeed/direction.

          • g4ilo
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 30 9:58 AM
              There are some stations with names starting CW and DW near me (I can see from aprs.fi.) What do I put in my filter to get them to appear in APRSIS32?

              Julian, G4ILO
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30 10:13 AM
                They're probably not coming in through APRS-IS but via a private set of
                CWOP servers (http://www.wxqa.com/). These are weather stations
                operated by non-amateur operators (typically) and were segregated from
                APRS-IS a while back (in the time of the "blue flood"). To get these in
                APRSISCE/32, you need to configure a new port of type CWOP as follows:

                1) Configure / Ports / New

                2) Select Type: CWOP and give it a name (I call mine Weather)

                3) Click Create

                4) Click Yes for a TCP/IP Port

                5) Enter cwop.aprs.net for the IP or DNS - This is a multi-IP rotation DNS

                6) Enter Port 14580 for a filtered feed or 10152 for a full feed (use
                10152 for now, see below)

                7) Set a reasonable quiet time (about 60 seconds) and ignore nearly
                everything else on the Port Configuration screen as it doesn't apply.

                Now that I notice, there's actually no filter being sent to this port,
                so you better do a 10152 for now and live with the full feed. I'll look
                at using the APRS-IS filter for this port as well until I can get around
                to allowing configuration of a specific filter for CWOP ports.

                PS. For comparison, a full APRS-IS feed is 120K packets per hour and
                CWOP is 35K packets per hour. Send ?APRSS to KJ4ERJ-AL if curious.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30 1:24 PM
                  WA4ORT is fixed in the latest (2010/09/30 16:05) development release.
                  Again, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

                  mwbesemer@... wrote:

                  > Lynn,
                  >
                  > Take a look at WA4ORT and let me know what you see.
                  >
                  > Mike
                  > WM4B
                  >

                  > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
                  >
                  > One line from the upcoming release notes:
                  >
                  > APRSISCE/32 now parses APRS weather (not any proprietary format yet) and
                  > displays it in the station popup. At least it's not in the comment any
                  > more! And there's new Configure / Metric options to go with it along
                  > with View / Label / Weather to show Temp and Windspeed/direction.

                • Mike Besemer (WM4B)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30 1:33 PM

                    Thanks Lynn… I don’t know how you keep up with stuff.  Glad I was able to find something EASY for you to fix!

                    73,

                    Mike

                    WM4B

                    mwbesemer@... wrote:

                    > Lynn,
                    >
                    > Take a look at WA4ORT and let me know what you see.
                    >
                    > Mike
                    > WM4B
                    >

                    > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
                    >
                    > One line from the upcoming release notes:
                    >
                    > APRSISCE/32 now parses APRS weather (not any proprietary format yet) and
                    > displays it in the station popup. At least it's not in the comment any
                    > more! And there's new Configure / Metric options to go with it along
                    > with View / Label / Weather to show Temp and Windspeed/direction.

                  • Steve D
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30 3:11 PM

                      Hi All

                      For those of you wanting to track and have info about the Balloon launch, hopefully on the 23rd Oct, there is a group on Lynns ’ new ANSRVR called PARIS , My main aim is to get as much info out as possible, tracking, updates etc.

                      Steve

                      G6UIM__