Re: [aprsisce] D7 Beaconing

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 2:45 PM
      Anyone else out there using APRSISCE/32 with a D7 or a D700 in KISS
      mode? See if my answers make sense or correct as necessary.

      As far as I recall, the D7 only supports KISS mode interfacing to
      APRSISCE/32. If you configure a new KISS port, it will default to the
      proper <OpenCmd>s to set the D7 into KISS mode, provided that the D7
      isn't already doing APRS mode. Only the D710 supports APRS-mode
      operation with APRSISCE/32.

      If the D7 isn't transmitting, it can be due to multiple things. It may
      not have made it into KISS mode (probably not the cause as you indicate
      that packets are being received from the D7 into a KISS port on
      APRSISCE/32). The D7 may be hearing noise (squelch open) causing it to
      think it shouldn't transmit. I'm not sure what other reasons there
      might be.

      The Transmit log should show (IS+RF) and the RfPort's log should show
      packets being transmitted with words like "Payload" and whatnot as the
      binary KISS packet is constructed. Once the KISS packet goes out the
      COMM port, it's all up to the D7 to put it on the air.

      If I had a D7 here, I would connect to it with a terminal emulator and
      walk you through the commands to manually trigger a transmission from
      the TNC, but I don't have access to one. If you've got a terminal
      emulator and the D7, you should be able to talk to the TNC directly, put
      it into CONVerse mode and type something to trigger a transmission. If
      that doesn't trigger the transmitter, then there's something not set
      correctly in the D7 and I'm out of my league.

      As for the "awaits KC9QOW" when you changed your callsign, that's
      because before the change you were probably centered on "Me". When you
      changed, it was still wanting to center on the old -SSID which it was
      then awaiting. When you changed back, it found itself and was happy again.

      It's only the D710 that supports two simultaneously active callsigns.
      The D700 and D7 operate in KISS mode so APRSISCE/32 will have total
      control and the D7/D700 will simply be a TNC to the program. All
      internal APRS functions are disabled while in KISS mode.