Re: XML port (was: Speech to Text)

  • wmiler1
    Message 1 of 56 , Sep 23, 2010

      > There's work already done in that area, but it requires the use of
      > shapefiles to interpret the areas being affected. I'm focusing my
      > efforts on APRS-only data at this point before branching out to
      > functions that require access to non-APRS data that would need to be
      > refreshed and kept current for the features to work correctly.
      >
      > http://www.aprs-is.net/wx/

      Yeah, problem is I rarely see ANY message traffic from my local NWS (GSP), our Georgia NWS (FFC) puts out stuff all the time that gets gated out. I'll look around some more, maybe somebody else is gating their traffic out...

      - Wyatt -

      KJ4CTD

      PS As always Lynn, thank you for your helpfulness and for a good program.

      > wmiler1 wrote:
      > > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hillhouse" <fmhillhouse@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> "For example, you have already defined a format for how an object is
      > >> represented within APRSISCE in XML. Could you have the program poll a folder
      > >> looking for files which a third party process would create in that XML
      > >> format? If it finds one it reads it, deletes it and either creates it,
      > >> modifies the one with the same name or ignores it if it is invalid?"
      > >>
      > >> ---
      > >> If an XML was setup like the way a port is created, then the resulting file
      > >> would be known by APRSIS32 and there would be no searching for something
      > >> new. The only polling necessary would be to check for a potential change
      > >> within the file from an external source. Likewise, the external source
      > >> would also need to check for updates.
      > >>
      > >> One example of an external resource is software that communicates with
      > >> another radio such as a Yaesu FT-857 or ICOM IC-706. With my FT-857, I can
      > >> poll the radio and then announce my operating frequency to the XML file.
      > >> Likewise, APRSIS32 could send the received frequency to the FT-857 through
      > >> the XML file. This is one reason for APRSIS32 to look for a content change.
      > >> This basic action would mimic the Kenwood D710. This is a goal of mine!
      > >>
      > >> Another external resource is a simple text editor.
      > >>

      > > And yet another example would be for putting up objects on the fly from a properly produced source, ie NWS CAP feeds (see http://www.weather.gov/alerts-beta/), which would need to go through a reducing program to get the relevant data down to APRS standards, and some other massaging that would need to be done.
      > >

      > > - Wyatt -
      > >
      > > KJ4CTD

    • wmiler1
      Message 56 of 56 , Sep 23, 2010