Feature Request STATUS beacons

  • Randy Love
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 22, 2010
      Lynn,

      I just noticed that in APRSIS32, you only have a COMMENT text that is sent when posits are sent.
      In general usage around here, the COMMENT text is usually pretty static, consisting of station info or digi capabilities.
      However, at my home as well as our county EOC and the NWS station for Metro Detroit, we use STATUS beacons to update, well, status of the station or a net at user defined intervals. For example, when I'm not home or away from the station, I set my Status text to No operator present with a tx rate of 60 mins, however, when I'm at the console or in the shack, I change to to Monitoring rptr1/rptr2 and APRS and set the rate to 10 or 15 mins. When I start shutting down, I put it back to No operator present and 60 min intervals. At the NWS station ( K8DTX ) we use the Status text to give the current state of the intercounty comm net (MICON), which is currently set at MICON Condition Green because the op that left there at 2AM forgot to change to to MICON Not activated when he left sleepily this morning. These are beacons sent to the default path but preceded by a > ( you already know this, as I see it on the station info popup for stations in that area that do this).

      So, would it be possible to add a dialogue to the Configure / Beacon section called Status that would allow you to set a status text and xmit interval in minutes, possibly keeping the last 5 or 10 status messages to be chosen later with the xmit interval defaulting to last set value ( 30 if it hasn't been set yet) ?

      Thanks for all you've done and yet to do with APRSISCE/32!

      73,
      Randy
      WF5X
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 22, 2010
        So you're asking for Status support in addition to and separate from the
        existing Comment that is added to the position beacon. It would have a
        single configurable transmission rate in seconds (yes, seconds, someone
        might want every 90 for some reason) ranging from 15 to 3600 or so.

        This goes in conjunction with SQ3NQE's request for a configuration
        parameter that says to include the Comment text on the position beacon
        every Nth beacon. I've got issues with that one, personally, as I
        believe with the varied timing of Genius beacons, the comment rate would
        be better as just that, a rate and the comment text would be included in
        the next triggered beacon when the timer has expired, so it will
        probably be implemented as such ranter than "every N".

        Now, just to make everyone aware, the OT2m and T2-135 has a feature
        where it will send the comment out every N beacons (probably where
        SQ3NQE got the idea), but instead of appending the comment to the
        position beacon, it actually sends it out as a status packet. Ug, I've
        been meaning to ask Argent Data to fix that. If you set it to go out
        with every beacon, it gets attached to the position beacon, go figure.

        I'll see what I can do on both of these requests, but configuration
        space is limited in the dialogs (remember, they have to fit on 320x240
        screens) so I'll have to figure out where to configure the intervals....

        Randy Love wrote:
        > Lynn,
        >
        > I just noticed that in APRSIS32, you only have a COMMENT text that is
        > sent when posits are sent.
        > In general usage around here, the COMMENT text is usually pretty
        > static, consisting of station info or digi capabilities.
        > However, at my home as well as our county EOC and the NWS station for
        > Metro Detroit, we use STATUS beacons to update, well, status of the
        > station or a net at user defined intervals. For example, when I'm not
        > home or away from the station, I set my Status text to No operator
        > present with a tx rate of 60 mins, however, when I'm at the console or
        > in the shack, I change to to Monitoring rptr1/rptr2 and APRS and set
        > the rate to 10 or 15 mins. When I start shutting down, I put it back
        > to No operator present and 60 min intervals. At the NWS station (
        > K8DTX ) we use the Status text to give the current state of the
        > intercounty comm net (MICON), which is currently set at MICON
        > Condition Green because the op that left there at 2AM forgot to change
        > to to MICON Not activated when he left sleepily this morning. These
        > are beacons sent to the default path but preceded by a > ( you already
        > know this, as I see it on the station info popup for stations in that
        > area that do this).
        >
        > So, would it be possible to add a dialogue to the Configure / Beacon
        > section called Status that would allow you to set a status text and
        > xmit interval in minutes, possibly keeping the last 5 or 10 status
        > messages to be chosen later with the xmit interval defaulting to last
        > set value ( 30 if it hasn't been set yet) ?
        >
        > Thanks for all you've done and yet to do with APRSISCE/32!
        >
        > 73,
        > Randy
        > WF5X
      • Randy Love
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 22, 2010
          On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

          So you're asking for Status support in addition to and separate from the
          existing Comment that is added to the position beacon. It would have a
          single configurable transmission rate in seconds (yes, seconds, someone
          might want every 90 for some reason) ranging from 15 to 3600 or so.

          Yes, very succinctly put. Optionally, prepend the status text with a day/time stamp so that the payload of the packet would look like this:
          >ddhhmmzStatus text here
          Where ddhhmmz is the day of the month and time in zulu ( system time would be ok too, I'd imagine ) when the status was set. That give a little bit of info about the age of the status automatically added to the status message. Again, this isn't necessary, but a nicety.

          This goes in conjunction with SQ3NQE's request for a configuration
          parameter that says to include the Comment text on the position beacon
          every Nth beacon. I've got issues with that one, personally, as I
          believe with the varied timing of Genius beacons, the comment rate would
          be better as just that, a rate and the comment text would be included in
          the next triggered beacon when the timer has expired, so it will
          probably be implemented as such ranter than "every N".

          Sounds very reasonable. Just a question, do you intend to support transmission of compressed posits? I don't recall seeing the option to compress position anywhere.

          Now, just to make everyone aware, the OT2m and T2-135 has a feature
          where it will send the comment out every N beacons (probably where
          SQ3NQE got the idea), but instead of appending the comment to the
          position beacon, it actually sends it out as a status packet. Ug, I've
          been meaning to ask Argent Data to fix that. If you set it to go out
          with every beacon, it gets attached to the position beacon, go figure.

          Yeah, it can be annoying, especially if you never send an empty Status to clear out an old status on APRS.fi or findu.com, and you end up with conflicting information like, say a comment that says WF5X MS-150 SAG3 and the Status says W8FSM On Duty

          I'll see what I can do on both of these requests, but configuration
          space is limited in the dialogs (remember, they have to fit on 320x240
          screens) so I'll have to figure out where to configure the intervals....

          Understood. If you do ever decide to separate the PC from the mobile device versions, then this would be a definite 'must have' for the PC side.

          Thanks again.
          Randy
          WF5X

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2010
            Here it is, in Development version 2010-09-22 23:41, a new Configure /
            Status... dialog and Configure / Status Report cascading menu. The
            functionality is thus.

            Beacon Comment section:

            Comment - the same old beacon comment we've always had.

            Interval - 0 = include with every position update - Same old same old
            > 0 - Include at most every N minutes
            but only when beaconing for some other reason
            This interval will not force a beacon just to get out

            Status Report section (all but Interval accessible via menu options)

            Enabled - Checked if you want >Status reports to be sent

            GridSquare - Include your current position in GridSquare format
            (aprs101.pdf page 81-82 (91-92 in Acrobat)

            Timestamp - Include ddhhmmz in status report
            (not allowed with GridSquare)

            Status - The text to send after GridSquare or Timestamp
            (may be blank for only Grid or Time)

            Interval - Send every N minutes, completely independent of beacons

            Enjoy - And someone please test out all these features. I'm going to bed!

          • g4ilo
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 23, 2010
              This is great, Lynn. I think it is a very valuable feature that enables to make the position beacons shorter, for greater reliability over RF.

              Just one minor cosmetic point: on my system when the GridSquare check box is highlighted it overlaps and obscures the left hand edge of the Timestamp one.

              Julian, G4ILO

              > Here it is, in Development version 2010-09-22 23:41, a new Configure /
              > Status... dialog and Configure / Status Report cascading menu. The
              > functionality is thus ...
            • sq3nqe
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 23, 2010
                Great. I thought about something like that.
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 23, 2010
                  Randy Love wrote:
                  > Yes, very succinctly put. Optionally, prepend the status text with a
                  > day/time stamp so that the payload of the packet would look like this:
                  > >ddhhmmzStatus text here
                  > Where ddhhmmz is the day of the month and time in zulu ( system time
                  > would be ok too, I'd imagine ) when the status was set. That give a
                  > little bit of info about the age of the status automatically added to
                  > the status message. Again, this isn't necessary, but a nicety.

                  Already done and I changed my mind on the interval, it is minutes only
                  from 1 to 60. The timestamp is a configurable option as is the ability
                  to put your current GridSquare in the beacon before the text per the
                  spec pages 81-82 (91-92 in the PDF).

                  > Sounds very reasonable. Just a question, do you intend to support
                  > transmission of compressed posits? I don't recall seeing the option to
                  > compress position anywhere.

                  I support decoding them and will eventually support encoding and
                  transmitting them. I do not have plans to do Mic-E at this point,
                  however, as I really don't like what it does to the ToCall, not to
                  mention I'd have to get a Mic-E signature assigned to APRSISCE/32.

                  > Yeah, it can be annoying, especially if you never send an empty Status
                  > to clear out an old status on APRS.fi or findu.com <http://findu.com>,
                  > and you end up with conflicting information like, say a comment that
                  > says WF5X MS-150 SAG3 and the Status says W8FSM On Duty

                  Interesting you would mention an empty status. I'm not supporting a
                  completely empty status, but only an empty text if you include a
                  timestamp or gridsquare. I'm thinking that the timestamp with blank
                  status should be sufficient to erase aprs.fi's memory.

                  > Understood. If you do ever decide to separate the PC from the mobile
                  > device versions, then this would be a definite 'must have' for the PC
                  > side.

                  Both features are already available on both platforms in the latest
                  development release.

                  > Thanks again.

                  You're welcome. I like it when people ask for (relatively) easy things
                  that leverage chunks of code that I already have in place.