Give APRSIS32 the XP look

  • Julian, G4ILO
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22 7:04 AM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 631 Bytes
    If you are running Windows XP you can give APRSIS32 the XP look by
    saving the attached file into the program's folder and restarting it.
    The buttons, checkboxes etc. should look more modern.

    The filename should be APRSIS32.exe.manifest. I don't know if the
    attachment will get through. I can't figure out how to upload it as a
    file to the files section. I've CC'd it to Lynn so he can put it in
    there if he wants to.
    --
    Julian, G4ILO
    G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
    Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22 8:24 AM
      I could not open that attachment.......:(

      Steve W   kf6wax

      [Attachment(s) from Julian, G4ILO included below]

        Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22 8:15 PM
          Hi Julian,

          The attachment looks like an XML thing that refers to a "Test Application" program "test.exe".  I've never seen a .manifest file in real life (I run Linux here), but there's no reference to Lynn's program, and even so, I don't see anything that would define buttons and such.

          Is "test.exe" something you wrote?

          Greg  KO6TH

          Julian, G4ILO wrote:

          If you are running Windows XP you can give APRSIS32 the XP look by
          saving the attached file into the program's folder and restarting it.
          The buttons, checkboxes etc. should look more modern.

          The filename should be APRSIS32.exe.manifest. I don't know if the
          attachment will get through. I can't figure out how to upload it as a
          file to the files section. I've CC'd it to Lynn so he can put it in
          there if he wants to.
          --
          Julian, G4ILO
          G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com

        • James D Comer Jr
          Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22 9:33 PM
            Running xp here, it worked just fine.

            James
            KB5FVS
          • g4ilo
            Message 6 of 6 , Sep 23 12:35 AM
              Windows doesn't check the name of the program. It's just a standard XP manifest file. Way back when XP first came out, this trick was a popular tip in magazines to give the XP look to programs that weren't written for it. I happened to see a reference to manifests yesterday which reminded me of it, so I thought I'd try it. Don't know why it works, but it does.

              I don't know what it would do on Vista or 7. Anyone tried it?

              Julian, G4ILO