HTC Touch Pro

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12 6:47 AM
      Anyone out there running APRSISCE on an HTC Touch Pro?

      I was chatting with G4ILO-12 this morning (my time) and he mentioned
      that his HTC Touch Pro sometimes shows an error message from
      "device.exe" while running APRSISCE. When this happens, he has to
      reboot to get a connection back to APRS-IS. He's on 3 UK as a carrier.

      If you're running an HTC Touch Pro (on any carrier), please reply and
      let us know if you've seen this error, any other error, or if it's "just
      working" for you.

    • Jerome Lofton
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12 6:54 AM

        Lynn,

        I have an HTC Touch Pro ... not seeing this error. However, I am on a US Carrier, Sprint (CDMA).

        I am not using the Windows Mobile versions issued this week yet.

        Jerome
        WD4CWG

        Inactive hide details for "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" ---02/12/2010 09:47:47 AM---Anyone out there running APRSISCE on an HTC Touch P"Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" ---02/12/2010 09:47:47 AM---Anyone out there running APRSISCE on an HTC Touch Pro? I was chatting with G4ILO-12 this morning (my

        "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>

        aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        02/12/2010 09:47 AM

        [aprsisce] HTC Touch Pro

        Sent by:

        aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

        Anyone out there running APRSISCE on an HTC Touch Pro?

        I was chatting with G4ILO-12 this morning (my time) and he mentioned
        that his HTC Touch Pro sometimes shows an error message from
        "device.exe" while running APRSISCE. When this happens, he has to
        reboot to get a connection back to APRS-IS. He's on 3 UK as a carrier.

        If you're running an HTC Touch Pro (on any carrier), please reply and
        let us know if you've seen this error, any other error, or if it's "just
        working" for you.

      • Jason Tuggle, K2ENG
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12 7:28 AM
          I used a Sprint Touch Pro for a year and recently upgraded to a Sprint Touch Pro 2. I have never received that error.

          Jason, K2ENG

          Sent from my Windows Mobile® device.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12 7:33 AM
            I use a HTC Touch HD and no problem like that. What is a problem for
            me is that this device doesnt have any buttons, so I wonder if all
            functions could be used by only "touching"? When I zoom the map I have
            to click the keyboard and then the up/down buttons. A bit tricky, so
            it would be nice with some other option directly on screen.

            BR

            Eric
            SA5BKE

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 12 8:32 AM
              Eric Söderman wrote:
              > I use a HTC Touch HD and no problem like that. What is a problem for
              > me is that this device doesnt have any buttons, so I wonder if all
              > functions could be used by only "touching"? When I zoom the map I have
              > to click the keyboard and then the up/down buttons. A bit tricky, so
              > it would be nice with some other option directly on screen.

              Just click the + or - on the slider to the left of the map. You can
              also double-click inside that bar to go directly to that zoom level.

              So, I've some users asking for keyboard control because they don't have
              a touch screen and others asking for touch control because they don't
              have any keys....Ya gotta love multi-platform software development!

              Keep asking for ways to do things and I'll either answer with what is
              there or add it to the list of something to provide for!

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Working to make the client better and better from
              your input!

              PS. There is not currently any non-button/keyboard way to change the
              map transparency. The rocker left/right or keyboard left/right arrows
              will fade or make bold the map background, just in case you didn't know
              about that feature! The small icons at extreme zoom levels are easier
              to spot if you fade the maps a bit.

              > Eric
              > SA5BKE
              >

              > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Anyone out there running APRSISCE on an HTC Touch Pro?
              >>
              >> I was chatting with G4ILO-12 this morning (my time) and he mentioned
              >> that his HTC Touch Pro sometimes shows an error message from
              >> "device.exe" while running APRSISCE. When this happens, he has to
              >> reboot to get a connection back to APRS-IS. He's on 3 UK as a carrier.
              >>
              >> If you're running an HTC Touch Pro (on any carrier), please reply and
              >> let us know if you've seen this error, any other error, or if it's "just
              >> working" for you.

            • David Shrum
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 12 8:33 AM
                I too am using a Touch Pro and haven't seen that message with this
                program; I have with a couple other programs.

                Dave N8PU

                On 2/12/10, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                > Anyone out there running APRSISCE on an HTC Touch Pro?
                >
                > I was chatting with G4ILO-12 this morning (my time) and he mentioned
                > that his HTC Touch Pro sometimes shows an error message from
                > "device.exe" while running APRSISCE. When this happens, he has to
                > reboot to get a connection back to APRS-IS. He's on 3 UK as a carrier.
                >
                > If you're running an HTC Touch Pro (on any carrier), please reply and
                > let us know if you've seen this error, any other error, or if it's "just
                > working" for you.

              • g4ilo
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 12 9:25 AM
                  --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, David Shrum <dave.n8pu@...> wrote:

                  > I too am using a Touch Pro and haven't seen that message with this
                  > program; I have with a couple other programs.

                  It's probably just my legendary ability to make things go wrong then. :(

                  I don't run any other apps at the same time as APRSISCE (battery life is short enough already) but with the phone in its case in my pocket (or even just putting it into its case or into my pocket) it's too easy to activate something by pressing on the screen. Therefore it's possible that the errors are caused by something trying to run that was started accidentally. I don't know how to avoid that since it's necessary to keep everything running while the phone is in my pocket in order for the position tracking to operate.

                  Julian, G4ILO
                  G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
                • Jerome Lofton
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 12 9:35 AM

                    Julian,

                    I use "Slide To Unlock 2" (S2U2) as an automatic screen locking app .... works great and is compatible to co-exist with APRSISCE.

                    http://www.ac-s2.com/

                    Jerome
                    WD4CWG

                    Inactive hide details for "g4ilo" ---02/12/2010 12:26:15 PM------ In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, David Shrum <dave.n8pu@...> wrot"g4ilo" ---02/12/2010 12:26:15 PM------ In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, David Shrum <dave.n8pu@...> wrote: >

                    "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...>

                    aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                    02/12/2010 12:26 PM

                    [aprsisce] Re: HTC Touch Pro

                    Sent by:

                    aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 12 10:08 AM
                      On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                      > Just click the + or - on the slider to the left of the map. You can
                      > also double-click inside that bar to go directly to that zoom level.

                      That was my guess, but it doesn´t work. The only thing I sometimes
                      get is some status message of how many tiles been downloaded.

                      BTW, talking about tiles. Do they get redownloaded after a while, or
                      do should I delete them manually? Do you know if I can share the
                      tiles with http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMtracker ? It has also
                      a http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMtiledownloader that might be
                      used as an alternative for the prefetch in APRSISCE . If you don´t
                      know I probably will try some time soon.

                      > PS. There is not currently any non-button/keyboard way to change the
                      > map transparency. The rocker left/right or keyboard left/right arrows
                      > will fade or make bold the map background, just in case you didn't know
                      > about that feature! The small icons at extreme zoom levels are easier
                      > to spot if you fade the maps a bit.

                      Thanks. Didn´t know that and was about to ask about it but forgot.
                      It´s ok to use the keyboard for that as it´s not changed so often.

                      BR

                      Eric
                      SA5BKE
                    • Eric Söderman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 12 10:25 AM
                        I read your QSO and I think you might misunderstood Lynns question. I
                        think it was if you have any other software you might try to run that
                        use the network to see if it´s a general problem that occurs if you
                        loose connectivity with the mobile network? One alternative (if you
                        want to try) could be to run a ping that continuously contacts another
                        host. I haven´t tried a ping software for Windows mobile but maybe
                        this one from Microsoft?

                        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=081c6401-49d4-4506-a03b-c41bc76c2f51&DisplayLang=en

                        BR

                        Eric
                        SA5BKE

                        PS. Talking about strange things, my phone just rebooted (when
                        APRSISCE was running). One time doesn´t count... :-)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 12 11:32 AM
                          Eric Söderman wrote:
                          > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                          >

                          >> Just click the + or - on the slider to the left of the map. You can
                          >> also double-click inside that bar to go directly to that zoom level.
                          >>

                          > That was my guess, but it doesn´t work. The only thing I sometimes
                          > get is some status message of how many tiles been downloaded.

                          Check your touch screen calibration. It sounds like clicks near the
                          edge of the screen aren't giving the proper coordinates to the program.
                          Double-clicking an empty space on the map is what gives you the tile
                          information popup.

                          > BTW, talking about tiles. Do they get redownloaded after a while, or
                          > do should I delete them manually? Do you know if I can share the

                          The tiles get automatically purged some time after they were downloaded
                          (Windows Mobile) or last referenced (Win32). That time is configurable
                          in the XML file as <OSM.RetainDays> and is obviously expressed in days.
                          Don't worry about <OSM.RevisionHours>, it's not implemented yet.

                          > tiles with http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMtracker ? It has also
                          > a http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSMtiledownloader that might be
                          > used as an alternative for the prefetch in APRSISCE . If you don´t
                          > know I probably will try some time soon.

                          My tile cache is simply the standard path that was used to fetch the
                          file and I also retain the original file name. If their cache is the
                          same, then they should work. If they do any reorganization of the tile
                          hierarchy, your maps will either a) still load from the web, or b) be
                          completely swapped around the planet! The former would be the case if
                          their files aren't where I'm looking for files. The latter would be the
                          case if their hierarchy looks like mine, but they swap the x/y/z or
                          something.

                          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                        • g4ilo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 12 3:22 PM
                            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Jerome Lofton <LoftonJ@...> wrote:

                            > Julian,
                            >
                            > I use "Slide To Unlock 2" (S2U2) as an automatic screen locking app ....
                            > works great and is compatible to co-exist with APRSISCE.
                            >
                            > http://www.ac-s2.com/

                            Thanks, Jerome. That's a super app.

                            Julian, G4ILO
                          • m6xsd
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 15 1:08 AM
                              Yep, I agree with Julian, it's an excellent App. Well done for finding it & letting us know about it Jerone.

                              73,
                              Colin
                              M6XSD.