Re: [aprsisce] APRSISCE Lock Fix & New Features!

  • Noel Shrum
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 9, 2009
      I have a graphics tablet and The GIMP.

      What format are you using for the icons?

      Perhaps you could send me a copy and I could start working on a larger
      set for you?

      Noel

      Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
      > Unfortunately, unless you know a good graphics artist that's willing
      > (and able, I'm not) to draw the standard APRS icons at 32x32 pixels,
      > they'll almost be as hard to see if I stretch them bigger. I'm still
      > working on an algorithm for sizing the icons based on the size of the
      > circle and the zoom level, but I haven't quite got it working right yet.
      >
      > I've got a non-GPS version running on my Vista laptop and I agree, for a
      > large screen (1920x1200 pixels), I agree, they're awful small.
      >
      > I'll see if I can get the algorithm worked out and let you know when
      > it's available.
      >
      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
    • ldeffenb
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
        Noel,

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Noel Shrum <noel.w8tvi@...> wrote:

        > I have a graphics tablet and The GIMP.
        >
        > What format are you using for the icons?
        >
        > Perhaps you could send me a copy and I could start working on a larger
        > set for you?

        I just posted APRSISZoom.zip that contains a zoomed icons for screens larger than 320 pixels. As your scale gets smaller than 2 miles, the icons will begin to expand (the actual scale code is listed below for C programmers). See if they look ok on your higher resolution screen before diving into the editor.

        But, just to cover all bases, I've also included the .BMP files from which the icons are drawn. The icons are clipped out of these composite pictures automatically by the program. My intention is to allow users to specify external Icon files as well, if they ever want to customize them. For that reason, I'd really rather not build the support for two sizes of icons unless it is visually necessary.

        Of course, if you do take the time to expand these BMPs and clean them up manually, I could always make the larger set the standard and scale them down on smaller screens!

        The program assumes that the icons are laid out in a 16x6 grid. It divides the image width and height by 16 and 6 to get the actual icon size. It then assumes a 2 pixel border all around. In the end, it gets a 17x17 pixel icon out of a 21x21 repeating square.

        Let me know how the expanded icons look on your screen. They didn't actually look as bad as I thought they might when I previewed them here (not on a phone screen, though!)

        Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

        PS. Here's the current brute-force code that does icon scaling. I want to make it a more dynamic scale based on circle size, device resolution, and the scale of the screen, but, as I mentioned before, I haven't worked out the details yet. It's striking a balance between recognizability and showing lots of stations in a small area.

        Of course, if you click on a station icon, the popup does tell you what the icon is supposed to be!

        if (scale >= 128)
        { Mult = 1; Div = 2;
        } else if (scale >= 64)
        { Mult = 2; Div = 3;
        } else if (scale >= 32)
        { Mult = 3; Div = 4;
        } else if (width < 320) /* Drop out all 320x240 screens */
        { Mult = 1; Div = 1;
        } else if (scale >= 8) /* Bigger screens begin to magnify */
        { Mult = 1; Div = 1;
        } else if (scale >= 2)
        { Mult = 5; Div = 4;
        } else if (scale >= 0.5)
        { Mult = 6; Div = 4;
        } else if (scale >= 0.125)
        { Mult = 7; Div = 4;
        } else
        { Mult = 2; Div = 1;
        }
      • ldeffenb
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
          Oh, one more thing. If you do tackle making a larger icon set, it is important that all background pixels be pure white (RGB(255,255,255)). The program uses this as the transparency color when copying the icons to the screen.

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

          --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "ldeffenb" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

          > Noel,
          >
          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Noel Shrum <noel.w8tvi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a graphics tablet and The GIMP.
          > >
          > > What format are you using for the icons?
          > >
          > > Perhaps you could send me a copy and I could start working on a larger
          > > set for you?
          >
          > I just posted APRSISZoom.zip that contains a zoomed icons for screens larger than 320 pixels. As your scale gets smaller than 2 miles, the icons will begin to expand (the actual scale code is listed below for C programmers). See if they look ok on your higher resolution screen before diving into the editor.
          >
          > But, just to cover all bases, I've also included the .BMP files from which the icons are drawn. The icons are clipped out of these composite pictures automatically by the program. My intention is to allow users to specify external Icon files as well, if they ever want to customize them. For that reason, I'd really rather not build the support for two sizes of icons unless it is visually necessary.
          >
          > Of course, if you do take the time to expand these BMPs and clean them up manually, I could always make the larger set the standard and scale them down on smaller screens!
          >
          > The program assumes that the icons are laid out in a 16x6 grid. It divides the image width and height by 16 and 6 to get the actual icon size. It then assumes a 2 pixel border all around. In the end, it gets a 17x17 pixel icon out of a 21x21 repeating square.
          >
          > Let me know how the expanded icons look on your screen. They didn't actually look as bad as I thought they might when I previewed them here (not on a phone screen, though!)
          >
          > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
          >
          > PS. Here's the current brute-force code that does icon scaling. I want to make it a more dynamic scale based on circle size, device resolution, and the scale of the screen, but, as I mentioned before, I haven't worked out the details yet. It's striking a balance between recognizability and showing lots of stations in a small area.
          >
          > Of course, if you click on a station icon, the popup does tell you what the icon is supposed to be!
          >
          > if (scale >= 128)
          > { Mult = 1; Div = 2;
          > } else if (scale >= 64)
          > { Mult = 2; Div = 3;
          > } else if (scale >= 32)
          > { Mult = 3; Div = 4;
          > } else if (width < 320) /* Drop out all 320x240 screens */
          > { Mult = 1; Div = 1;
          > } else if (scale >= 8) /* Bigger screens begin to magnify */
          > { Mult = 1; Div = 1;
          > } else if (scale >= 2)
          > { Mult = 5; Div = 4;
          > } else if (scale >= 0.5)
          > { Mult = 6; Div = 4;
          > } else if (scale >= 0.125)
          > { Mult = 7; Div = 4;
          > } else
          > { Mult = 2; Div = 1;
          > }

        • Noel Shrum
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
            So I was just comparing the two versions of the program,
            and I think I figured out what it is I didn't like about the normal one:
            The icons get too small when you zoom out to see more map. Just too
            small on the 3" VGA screen for my taste.

            I do kinda like the bigger icon at higher zoom levels.

            I don't think they really need to made any bigger.. at least not on this
            screen. But it would make them look nicer at high zoom, so I'll work on
            that.

            Also, what overall size (X/Y) should I make the grid for the larger icon
            set?

            Noel
            W8TVI

          • David Shrum
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
              One feature I would like and that would be to be able to change the
              date and time format to the way I want it.
              Dave N8PU
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
                Noel,

                > So I was just comparing the two versions of the program,
                > and I think I figured out what it is I didn't like about the normal one:
                > The icons get too small when you zoom out to see more map. Just too
                > small on the 3" VGA screen for my taste.

                So, they get too small too quickly in both versions, right? I only
                expanded them in the second, but didn't change when/how they get small.

                > I do kinda like the bigger icon at higher zoom levels.
                >
                > I don't think they really need to made any bigger.. at least not on this
                > screen. But it would make them look nicer at high zoom, so I'll work on
                > that.

                So the 2x maximum expansion looks good to you? I concur with that
                opinion as well.

                > Also, what overall size (X/Y) should I make the grid for the larger icon
                > set?
                To get them up to double size clearly, we'll need each square to be 42
                pixels instead of the current 21 pixel squares (21-4 giving the 17x17
                icons that the program ends up painting).

                I did a quick experiment here with IrfanView and I think if you start
                with just a resize/resample 200% retaining aspect ratio, you'll have a
                good starting point to clean them up. As I mentioned before though, try
                to make sure that all non-important pixels are actually pure white
                (RGB(255,255,255)) or they won't go transparent correctly.

                I'm trying to figure out how to fade them out and keep the transparency
                so I quit getting the square around fading stations. If you look close
                at the red dot in the screen caps you sent me, you can see what I'm
                talking about. I was drawing it at 50% fade, but that messes up the
                transparency. I'm going back to 100% for the red dot, but aging
                stations will still start having a square around them as they fade.
                I'll get it fixed somehow!

                Thanks again for any efforts you can do on getting clearer, bigger
                icons. I'm hoping that I can just use them for all resolutions with the
                320x240 phone just using them at 50% with Win32 doing the scaling for
                me. Scaling down tends to look better than scaling up!

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
                  Dave,

                  Would a strftime format string be suitable for your time/date format
                  specification? Or how did you have in mind to configure it?

                  http://www.manpagez.com/man/3/strftime/

                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                  David Shrum wrote:

                  > One feature I would like and that would be to be able to change the
                  > date and time format to the way I want it.
                  > Dave N8PU

                • David Shrum
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
                    That page is way above my understanding, but what I had in mind was to be
                    able to change the way it is displayed so if I wanted to have the
                    month/day/year I could, but if another user wanted it day/month/year or
                    year/day/month they could.

                    On the time it would be nice if we could select a time zone independent of
                    the device, say GMT time for instance we could and be able to select either
                    a 12 or 24 hour format.

                    Since you ask, I thought I would ask. :)

                    I can't remember if you said you were going to try to let us track a
                    specific call, but that would be nice; similar to what it is with
                    http://aprs.fi/?call=n8pu-12 where you can 'type' in a call and if it is
                    available it will display it and scroll the screen so we can view their
                    progress. I know it is much better on a computer screen but if you are out
                    away from yours it would be nice to see where they were.

                    Thanks
                    Dave N8PU

                    David Shrum wrote:

                    > One feature I would like and that would be to be able to change the
                    > date and time format to the way I want it.
                    > Dave N8PU

                  • ldeffenb
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
                      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "David Shrum" <dave.n8pu@...> wrote:

                      > That page is way above my understanding, but what I had in mind was to be
                      > able to change the way it is displayed so if I wanted to have the
                      > month/day/year I could, but if another user wanted it day/month/year or
                      > year/day/month they could.

                      I'll make it much simpler than that page, but it basically says that there'll be %X parameter that represent the various components of the date/time. Whatever you put in the configuration parameter will govern what displays.

                      > On the time it would be nice if we could select a time zone independent of
                      > the device, say GMT time for instance we could and be able to select either
                      > a 12 or 24 hour format.

                      GMT vs the device is not too difficult. Arbitrary time zones are MUCH harder! 12 vs 24 will be automatic given the %X parameters mentioned above.

                      > Since you ask, I thought I would ask. :)

                      I'm always willing to listen to any and all ideas. The best part about being the developer is I get to choose what does and does not make the cut (although with me, it's normally WHEN it gets implemented, not IF).

                      > I can't remember if you said you were going to try to let us track a
                      > specific call, but that would be nice; similar to what it is with
                      > http://aprs.fi/?call=n8pu-12 where you can 'type' in a call and if it is
                      > available it will display it and scroll the screen so we can view their
                      > progress. I know it is much better on a computer screen but if you are out
                      > away from yours it would be nice to see where they were.

                      Yes, that is absolutely in the plans, as is the ability to pan around the map with some way of getting it back to you (or the currently selected station) in the center. Not sure when I'll get that going, but I just added the course/speed parsing. I've got a few more things to do before it's worth putting another release out though.

                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
                    • Noel Shrum
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 10, 2009
                        Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
                        > Noel,
                        >
                        >> So I was just comparing the two versions of the program,
                        >> and I think I figured out what it is I didn't like about the normal one:
                        >> The icons get too small when you zoom out to see more map. Just too
                        >> small on the 3" VGA screen for my taste.
                        >
                        > So, they get too small too quickly in both versions, right? I only
                        > expanded them in the second, but didn't change when/how they get small.

                        Yeah... they get too small.
                        I'd rather them just overlap than get really small.

                        >> I do kinda like the bigger icon at higher zoom levels.
                        >>
                        >> I don't think they really need to made any bigger.. at least not on this
                        >> screen. But it would make them look nicer at high zoom, so I'll work on
                        >> that.
                        >>
                        > So the 2x maximum expansion looks good to you? I concur with that
                        > opinion as well.

                        I think 2x the "normal" size would be good on a VGA device.

                        >> Also, what overall size (X/Y) should I make the grid for the larger icon
                        >> set?
                        > To get them up to double size clearly, we'll need each square to be 42
                        > pixels instead of the current 21 pixel squares (21-4 giving the 17x17
                        > icons that the program ends up painting).
                        >
                        > I did a quick experiment here with IrfanView and I think if you start
                        > with just a resize/resample 200% retaining aspect ratio, you'll have a
                        > good starting point to clean them up. As I mentioned before though, try
                        > to make sure that all non-important pixels are actually pure white
                        > (RGB(255,255,255)) or they won't go transparent correctly.

                        Will do.

                        > I'm trying to figure out how to fade them out and keep the transparency
                        > so I quit getting the square around fading stations. If you look close
                        > at the red dot in the screen caps you sent me, you can see what I'm
                        > talking about. I was drawing it at 50% fade, but that messes up the
                        > transparency. I'm going back to 100% for the red dot, but aging
                        > stations will still start having a square around them as they fade.
                        > I'll get it fixed somehow!

                        I guess I didn't mess around with that too much... it didn't bother me.

                        > Thanks again for any efforts you can do on getting clearer, bigger
                        > icons. I'm hoping that I can just use them for all resolutions with the
                        > 320x240 phone just using them at 50% with Win32 doing the scaling for
                        > me. Scaling down tends to look better than scaling up!
                        >
                        > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                        Noel
                        W8TVI