RE: [aprsisce] Lat/Lon Goofiness

  • Greg D.
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2010
    Hi Lynn,

    Yes, when zoomed all the way out, they turn into a nice sphere.  As you zoom in, the grid lines get farther apart (as one would expect), then depending on where you are centered on the planet, one or two more clicks zooming in past where they're off the top and bottom, they suddenly go goofy.  So, I think your thought of integer overflow is probably exactly right.

    One note, though...  Again, depending on where you are centered on the planet, the North Pole on the map isn't at the center of the ring at the top of the sphere.  A couple of pictures...  The first two are zoomed all the way out, and the next two are in a couple of clicks.  All the way zoomed out, you're off in space; in a couple, you're off the coast of Greenland.  (Are you tracking Magnetic North, perhaps?)

    Greg  KO6TH

    p.s.  Not to worry about not being connected to APRS-IS.  I didn't set the password on this laptop instance, so that I wouldn't be seen in two different places by IS at the same time.  My desktop PC connects into IS just fine.

    To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
    From: kj4erj@...
    Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 04:48:49 -0400
    Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Lat/Lon Goofiness

    You're right, that's pretty goofy. If you zoom way out to see the whole
    world, does it straighten up? I'm sensing an integer overflow here in
    the WINE drawing layer because APRSISCE/32 relies on windows to do the
    clipping. I'll see if I can get screen caps centered on you of what
    it's supposed to look like later.

    On a side note, is there a reason it still says "APRS Connect" even
    after 7 minutes of running? I'm assuming that under normal operation it
    actually does receive data from APRS-IS?

    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

  • Kurt Savegnago
    Message 2 of 14 , Sep 10, 2010
      Interesting phenomena when running under the WINE emulator. I can set my
      position up and the program downloads the map tiles but won't display any other stations in the area. I believe I have my password setup correctly.
      So close but yet so far when running under emulation. Using Slackware with
      WINE 1.1.38 that has all the MS .NET options compiled into WINE.

      Kurt KC9LDH