Re: [aprsisce] Manual position input

  • Colin Catlin
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
      Ahh yes, Carole King, that takes me back to when I was a young lad.
      I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoHuxpa4h48&NR=1 and it brought it all back:)

      And back on topic. Yes I like the idea of 'Move Me' when GPS is disabled.

      73,
      Colin.

      On 01/09/2010 21:41, David Shrum wrote:

      Careful Lynn, you might expose how you are with that song. :-)

      Dave N8PU

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
        Personally I find hover like all the the other gimmicks that fall into the category of the computer trying to second guess what I want to do. At least half the time I find it irritating because it isn't. For example there's a website that expands images whenever you hover over a thumbnail. Half the time the expanded image of the thumbnail you passed over obscures what you actually wanted to click on.

        I prefer programs (and websites) to do nothing until I specifically request it, by clicking on something.

        Julian, G4ILO

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
          How many of you running Windows 7 have gotten the mouse a little bit too
          close to the task bar and had those obnoxious preview windows pop up
          right over top of the piece of your document that you wanted to select?
          And how many of you have clicked on the little tiny X on that preview
          window thinking it would make the preview go away (no, it closes the
          REAL window!).

          Rest assured, Julian. If I ever do hover, it will be a purely
          configurable option that I expect 80% of the people will turn off after
          actually using the client in their area for more than a few days. The
          last thing I need is more little windows fading in and out when I just
          shove the mouse out of the way of my editor and have it land on top of
          my APRSIS32 window.

          g4ilo wrote:
          > Personally I find hover like all the the other gimmicks that fall into the category of the computer trying to second guess what I want to do. At least half the time I find it irritating because it isn't. For example there's a website that expands images whenever you hover over a thumbnail. Half the time the expanded image of the thumbnail you passed over obscures what you actually wanted to click on.
          >
          > I prefer programs (and websites) to do nothing until I specifically request it, by clicking on something.
          >
          > Julian, G4ILO
          >
          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:
          >
          >> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...>wrote:
          >>

          >>> Oh, and just because I say No once, doesn't mean it won't appear
          >>> sometime down the time-line.

          >> Lynn,
          >>
          >> How about hover capabilities but only below zoom level x, for the PC version
          >> at least.
          >> I know, it doesn't solve the touchscreen device problem, but certainly makes
          >> it a usable options where it would make most sense to be able to use it. :)
          >>
          >> Randy
          >> WF5X

        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
            I've now implemented sending WOTA spots from the website as item-as-messages (finally found the problem that was causing them not to appear - the lat/lon format is very specific.) They do only appear on the client they are addressed to, though one of the locals saw one too - don't know if he was eavesdropping or had a buddy filter for the sender (b/WOTA) in his configuration.

            The next step is to intercept these messages and convert them to real objects which will appear on aprs.fi and transmitted on RF for the local mobiles. For that I'm going to need some hooks into APRSIS32 though.

            Julian, G4ILO

            > An Item-As-Message has been specified since 2008. However, APRSISCE/32
            > is the only APRS client to actually implement this portion of the spec.
            > Not even APRS.FI will show this object, but will instead list it as a
            > normal message.
            >
            > APRSISCE/32 will display all item-as-message object that it sees.
            > However, they are NOT persistent and there is no specified way to kill
            > them, but then since they're Items, albeit with a targeted delivery, a
            > normal Item Kill message would probably suffice. As it is, APRSISCE/32
            > currently forgets about them when it closes, but I hope to have it adopt
            > them as non-beaconing, local Objects at some point.

            > PS. I used this to put objects on my map while geocaching before I
            > built the Object support. It was broken for a while, but it is working
            > in all of the latest releases.
            >
            > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi James,
            > >
            > > Today is the first time it struck that an object can be part of a
            > > message. I have not gone beyond glancing through the link Lynn put up
            > > earlier. Until I do, I have these questions to find these answers to:
            > >
            > > Is this object only visible to me or would it go out to APRS-IS as well?
            > > How does this object get killed eventually.
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > Fred

          • g4ilo
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010

              > How many of you running Windows 7 have gotten the mouse a little bit too
              > close to the task bar and had those obnoxious preview windows pop up
              > right over top of the piece of your document that you wanted to select?
              > And how many of you have clicked on the little tiny X on that preview
              > window thinking it would make the preview go away (no, it closes the
              > REAL window!).

              Linux does it too. My Eee PC has a launch bar that slides down from the top, and half the time just as I'm trying to close an application it slides down and I end up launching something else instead. Isn't progress wonderful!

              Julian, G4ILO
            • Teddy Banks
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                Carol King=Very talented lady, one of my favorites. :)