Re: [aprsisce] Re: Object as message

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
      APRS coordinates are ddmm.mmXTdddmm.mmYS where X is N or S, Y is E or W,
      T is the table or overlay, and S is the symbol. Your two bad ones had
      dddmm.mmm for the E/W. They should work better as:

      )G4ILO-P!5439.29N/00314.96WrSale Fell 145.550 FM
      )G4ILO-Q!5439.03N/00308.82WrSkiddaw 145.550 FM

      This'll be really easy once I add the capability to send any of your
      configured objects to any callsign as an Item-As-Message. The advantage
      of this approach is that you can "push" objects out to RF stations
      through remote bi-directional IGates, provided that the receiving
      station is considered to be "recently" "local".

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
        Hmm, I cut and pasted one of the line into my message box to my other instance and as soon as it pasted it, it was sent!

        Does anyone see the object as being from me?

        Fred

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
          I see three of the -P objects now. One from KJ4ERJ-AL, one from WOTA,
          and one from N7FMH-AP. Yes, APRSISCE/32 considers objects of the same
          name from different stations to be different objects currently. This is
          done to protect myself from tracking down "bugs" that are actually
          dualling non-unique object names. Eventually I'll get spec-compliant in
          this area, somehow...

          PS. If you included the end of line delimiter in your copy operation,
          the paste will act as if you hit enter.

          Fred Hillhouse wrote:

          > Hmm, I cut and pasted one of the line into my message box to my other
          > instance and as soon as it pasted it, it was sent!
          >
          > Does anyone see the object as being from me?
          >
          > Fred

        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010

            > APRS coordinates are ddmm.mmXTdddmm.mmYS where X is N or S, Y is E or W,
            > T is the table or overlay, and S is the symbol. Your two bad ones had
            > dddmm.mmm for the E/W. They should work better as:
            >
            > )G4ILO-P!5439.29N/00314.96WrSale Fell 145.550 FM
            > )G4ILO-Q!5439.03N/00308.82WrSkiddaw 145.550 FM

            Yep, spotted it finally!

            > This'll be really easy once I add the capability to send any of your
            > configured objects to any callsign as an Item-As-Message.

            Yes, although in my case the messages are being sent from the WOTA website using a bit of PHP code, taking the co-ordinates from those stored in the database.

            > The advantage
            > of this approach is that you can "push" objects out to RF stations
            > through remote bi-directional IGates, provided that the receiving
            > station is considered to be "recently" "local".

            I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of that as the originating website isn't an APRS client and has no idea what stations are currently in the area. It just sends them to me. Any additional processing will have to be done at my end, though hopefully it could also be duplicated elsewhere (e.g. by Colin) so that it all isn't dependent on my system being up and running.

            Julian, G4ILO
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
              Sometime ago, I wish I could remember when and the details, I had trouble with an object that had the same name as an object already in use. When I finally changed the name (because I realized someone was using it) the object worked as planned. Is this the non-unique issue you see?

              Also, did you see my object because you were eavesdropping?

              Fred

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
                Yes (non-unique) and No (eavesdropping).

                If I had been in the same RF area as you when the message was IGated
                from -IS to RF, my APRSISCE/32 would have heard it regardless and put it
                on my map. Item-As-Message are processed and added to the map if they
                come in via any port. What made me see your message is my u/APWW*/APWM*
                filter that causes all APRSISCE/32-generated traffic to come from
                APRS-IS. That gave me the message which cause the Item-As-Message to be
                parsed and picked up. IAS has nothing to do with message reception, I
                pull it straight out of my parser.

                Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              • g4ilo
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010

                  > Yes (non-unique) and No (eavesdropping).
                  >
                  > If I had been in the same RF area as you when the message was IGated
                  > from -IS to RF, my APRSISCE/32 would have heard it regardless and put it
                  > on my map. Item-As-Message are processed and added to the map if they
                  > come in via any port. What made me see your message is my u/APWW*/APWM*
                  > filter that causes all APRSISCE/32-generated traffic to come from
                  > APRS-IS.

                  Curiously enough, since installing the latest development version I seem to be seeing calls that are other APRSISCE/32 users not in my area. Is this filter built in in this version?

                  Julian, G4ILO
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010
                    No, but if you're receiving messages from them, it's probably the "free"
                    location beacon provided by the APRS-IS servers. They seem to come for
                    a period of time after the last message also.

                    From http://www.aprs-is.net/IGating.aspx:

                    "Passing all message packets also includes passing the sending station's
                    position along with the message. When APRS-IS was small, we did this
                    using historical position packets. This has become problematic as it
                    introduces historical data on to RF. The IGate should note the
                    station(s) it has gated messages to RF for and pass the next position
                    packet seen for that station(s) to RF."

                    Pete does this is the APRS-IS servers as well because he doesn't know if
                    the connected client is functioning as an IGate or not.

                    g4ilo wrote:
                    > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Yes (non-unique) and No (eavesdropping).
                    >>
                    >> If I had been in the same RF area as you when the message was IGated
                    >> from -IS to RF, my APRSISCE/32 would have heard it regardless and put it
                    >> on my map. Item-As-Message are processed and added to the map if they
                    >> come in via any port. What made me see your message is my u/APWW*/APWM*
                    >> filter that causes all APRSISCE/32-generated traffic to come from
                    >> APRS-IS.
                    >>

                    > Curiously enough, since installing the latest development version I seem to be seeing calls that are other APRSISCE/32 users not in my area. Is this filter built in in this version?
                    >
                    > Julian, G4ILO

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 1, 2010

                      Hi all

                      If you see me on in the Plymouth UK area tomorrow night 2/9/10 or 9/2/10 if you are USA . Send a message, I am trying to get my girlfriend Lizzie on the air, so hopefully she will be at the keys. Will use G6UIM-12 Hoping to get her on the air via radio also.

                      I f you know any Lady’s who could message that would be great too (so she knows others ladys are out there. Lol) APRSIS will be tcpip only my end.

                      Thanks in advance for helping me encourage her on air.

                      Sorting out dates etc for the exam on the 14th September

                      Steve