New APRSISCE/32 Release Notes!

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2010
      Here's what's new in the APRSISCE6P100209.zip and APRSIS32100209.zip -
      Now available in the Files section at:

      Short version:

      1) Win32 version supports NMEA GPS

      2) Both versions support KISS TNCs

      3) Both versions support receive-only AGWPE (all ports)

      4) OSM Maps can be pre-fetched and the fetcher can be disabled

      5) UTF-8 characters are supported in Addresses, Messages, and Comment texts

      Longer version:

      1) Support UTF-8 characters in Address information

      2) Initial support for AGW's Packet Engine (Receive-Only via "m" monitor
      command)

      3) New configuration parameters for (at least in XML file!):
      Enables for AGW, KISS, and OSMFetch
      Outbound Beacon Path (defaults to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1)
      Preferred map view
      GPS, AGW, and KISS Ports (Com or TCP)
      Telemetry Interval

      4) Com port configuration dialog (used for NMEA GPS and KISS)
      This may not show all of your Bluetooth ports (yet)

      5) TCP IP/Port configuration dialog (used for AGW, NMEA GPS, and KISS)

      6) Corrected truncation issue on additional Filter text and comments

      7) Configuration Dialog now has AGW, KISS, and NMEA buttons

      8) Support UTF-8 characters in APRS Messaging and Station Comments

      9) Tweak EarthRadius from 3,959.0 miles to 3958.76 miles

      10) Stretch OSM tiles if a correct one isn't available (will resolve as
      soon as fetched)

      11) Support zooming in further than actual OSM maps support (important
      for geocaching)

      12) Support prefetching OSM tiles along with disabling fetching
      on-the-fly (allows for offline operations)

      13) Provide age-bucketed count and size of cached OSM tiles

      14) Only purge old OSM tiles if fetching is enabled

      15) Support NMEA GPS (only on Win32 currently)

      16) Support KISS TNCs via serial (hardwire or Bluetooth) or TCP/IP port
      Currently sends the following hard-coded command sequence:
      KISSCommand(&cp, "\r");
      KISSCommand(&cp, "\r");
      KISSCommand(&cp, "XFLOW OFF\r");
      KISSCommand(&cp, "KISS ON\r");
      KISSCommand(&cp, "RESTART\r");
      Otherwise, it expects the TNC to already be in KISS mode

      17) New View/Map/Prefetch menu option - This prefetchs 3 zoom levels of
      OSM tiles covering the entire visible map when selected. Note: You
      better be on a fast connection when you do this!

      18) View/Preferred/Restore and Save - This will allow you to save a
      center point and zoom level for later recall. If one is saved, the
      program starts in the preferred view. Double-clicking the Scale number
      restores the preferred view.

      19) View RF/All, Direct, or Local - Filters the display to stations
      received over RF, either All, or Direct (0 hops), or Local (up to 2 hops).

      20) Double-clicking the Battery Bar (extreme right edge) now shows the
      power status of the machine.

      21) Telemetry is now possible from Win32 (especially useful for mobile
      laptops)

      22) APRSISCE/32's window title now reflects the configured callsign

      23) Handle "rej" packets and stop retransmitting an outbound message

      24) Auto-respond to various queries:
      ?APRSD - send a list of "recently" directly heard stations
      ?APRSL - send a list of "recent" "local" stations
      ?IGATE - Transmit a Capabilites packet
      ?APRSP or ?APRS - Force a position packet (if Tracking enabled)

      25) If you are tracking a station and drag the screen, the tracked
      station's beacon points remain highlighted.

      26) Double-clicking the GPS heading window will return center to a
      tracked station. Double-clicking it again will return tracking to your
      station.

      27) Telemetry is only defined once, instead of every time the client
      starts. Telemetry version is tracked in the configuration file so that
      it will be re-defined as version upgrade what is being logged.

      28) Station Popup now shows lots more stuff:
      Station Status seperate from Comment
      Capabilities (if ever received)
      -IS vs RF paths (or both) over which packet was received
      Title reflects # of Hops or IGate

      29) Include station comment in Address lookup popup

      30) Pending messages now show retry information and allow starting the
      retries over or aborting a message

      31) Double-clicking on the +/- zoom bar will directly set the zoom

      32) Station Usage popup shows RF counts (local and direct) if any

      33) The scrolling station list shows a * for RF-received stations and a
      count after the * for duplicate packets received

      34) Double-clicking the map now shows OSM tile statistics. These may
      not be available until the client has run for at least 5 minutes.

      35) The right edge of the satellites in use and in view bars now shows
      the count of satellites in that list.

      36) BitBlt errors are no longer displayed when a laptop lid is closed
      with the client running (for instance)

      37) Slightly improved logic to get the initial center position set on
      first client execution.

      Note: Any packets transmitted by APRSISCE/32 currently go out ALL
      enabled ports. This includes beacons, messages, and acknowledgements.
      Telemetry, however, is only sent via APRS-IS if that connection is good.

      APRS Packet Parser updates:

      1) Parse 3rd party sender out of APRS-IS packets

      2) Parse Capabilities (<) packets

      3) Parse Status (>) packets & Display on station popup

      4) Extend comment text from 80 to 128 characters

      5) Better duplicate packet detection using CRCs

      6) Support new Overlayed symbol names (not icons) per
      http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt

      7) Better handle parsing direct (pathless) packets (important for
      RF-received packets)

      8) Hop count = 2 for 3rd party traffic (not sure which path would be valid!)

      9) Default symbol to red dot per spec

      10) Default weather data to Weather Station symbol per spec

      11) Default $ data symbol to red cross (no symbol) per spec

      12) Support ToCall symbol specifications if no explicit symbol in packet

      13) Use -SSID implied symbol if none specified anywhere else

      14) Reject packets with invalid N/S E/W for coordinates

      15) Don't parse compressed lat/lon unless it's really there!

      To Dos: (Still Incomplete and getting LONGER instead of SHORTER!)

      Wade through pending APRSISCE e-mails and expand the ToDo List!

      Support checking revision of tiles when loading, via OpenStreetMap.org's
      /status URL.
      Find a way to mark tiles referenced on Windows Mobile without slowing
      down map loading (queue references to fetcher thread?).
      Use HTTP/1.1 in OSM Tile Fetcher to improve throughput (multiple tile
      fetches on a single connection).
      Implement a compass direction/distance screen for homing in on GeoCaches.
      NMEA serial (BlueTooth) GPS support for Windows Mobile.
      Update Bluetooth Port Enumerator to show all under Windows Mobile
      KISS TNC initialization files (adopt UI-View syntax)
      Remember and provide for re-display of received messages.
      If target station's platform is known, format message sending screen
      accordingly.
      Optionally transmit either 1 or 2 !DAO! digits.
      Parse and display Frequency object information
      Support the -180/180 latitude wrap with closest display tile
      Find a better icon scaling algorithm based on screen size & scale
      Allow non-initial (re)configuration of location for OSMTiles cache (w/o
      editing XML)
      Allow configuration of date/time display & GMT vs local (Dave N8PU)
      Allow configurable removal of some screen elements (Satellites, John N8JJ)
      Record/Recall last DNS/IP for OSM/APRS-IS (in config file, for
      connecting without DNS)
      Asynchronous TCP/IP connections & reading (solves hangs)
      Timeout on OSM Tile fetcher (solves stalls)
      Implement whatever results from the Zoom +/- Poll

      Make Local Hops, Recent Minutes, and Duplicate Seconds configuration options
      Make Message Retry parameters configuration options

      Split ?APRSD and ?APRSL lists into multiple messages
      Support more ?APRSx queries

      Add RF traffic and IGate rates to Telemetry

      Win32 client only for the following:
      Simultaneously track multiple targets in separate circles

      Detect and highlight source of delayed duplications
      Additional View/Filter options based on symbol types

      Feed-through APRS-IS with local filters (for multiple instances of Win32
      version with a single full feed to APRS-IS).
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2010
        Ok, so the new release is out and your first question is: How do I
        configure a port and what in the world does TCP/IP have to do with KISS
        and NMEA?

        APRSISCE/32 supports two different ways of connecting to serial
        devices. The "normal" expected one would be via a "normal" Windows COM
        port with baud rates, parity, stop bits and such. However, I also
        support connected to a TCP/IP source of this same data. This allows the
        client to connect to remotely served TCP/IP serial ports which may or
        may not be virtualized by Windows. I also happen to have some TCP/IP
        servers that remotely serve out COM ports from one Windows machine to
        another. So...

        When you click the KISS or NMEA buttons on the new configuration dialog,
        you will be asked if you want to "Configure As a TCP/IP Port?". Most of
        you will probably want to click "No". At that point, a Port
        Configuration dialog will appear with drop-downs of the known COM ports
        and support baud rates along with radio buttons for Parity and Data/Stop
        bits. (Ignore the Xmit checkbox). When you have things set up for your
        GPS or KISS TNC, click OK.

        After configuring a COM port, the KISS or NMEA button will take you
        directly back to the Port Configuration dialog. If you clear the COM
        port and click OK, the next time you configure that port, the TCP/IP
        question will be asked.

        The AGW interface only support TCP/IP connections to AGWPE. The TCP
        Configuration dialog prompts for an IP address or DNS name of the host
        where AGEPE is executing. Port 8000 is the default for AGW and should
        not be changed unless you know what you're doing. Again, ignore the
        Xmit checkbox.

        After configuring the appropriate port(s), you can then enable whichever
        feature you want to use. If any communications errors are encountered,
        you may need to disable and re-enable the feature to get things moving
        again. I need to do more work on failure recovery.

        If you are using a Bluetooth serial adapter for either KISS or NMEA GPS
        connections (I use a Delorme BlueLogger as my GPS), you'll need to go
        through the pairing and assign a COM port outside of the APRSISCE/32
        client. Once you know the port number assigned to the device, you can
        configure it in the client and the Bluetooth connection should be
        established whent he feature is enabled.

        Drop a note to the list if you are using any of these new features. I'm
        anxious to see how they work out and won't know if they're working or
        not if you don't tell me!

      • m6xsd
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010
          Hi Lynn,

          It's great toget the NMEA support, I am running it on my Desktop with a Haicom GPS connected to COM2 with an external antenna (just looking out of our front window).
          It shows my location fine (although it seems to think I'm on the opposite side of the street most of the time, probably due to the GPS antenna location) on it's own map but asyet it doesn't seem to be reporting my location tothe outside world. I have only quickly set it up, so have I missed a setting I should have set?
          I am currently using 'M6XSD-1' some if anyone sees me today I would like a report of when & where.
          If I get time today I will see if I can emulate a KISS TNC on my Laptop & see if I can get RF to work. I will use a different SSID for RF, so again if anyone sees me 'M6XSD-#' with any SSID I would like to know.

          I will let you know how I get on.

          73,
          Colin
          M6XSD.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010
            m6xsd wrote:
            > It's great toget the NMEA support, I am running it on my Desktop with a Haicom GPS connected to COM2 with an external antenna (just looking out of our front window).
            > It shows my location fine (although it seems to think I'm on the opposite side of the street most of the time, probably due to the GPS antenna location) on it's own map but asyet it doesn't seem to be reporting my location tothe outside world. I have only quickly set it up, so have I missed a setting I should have set?
            > I am currently using 'M6XSD-1' some if anyone sees me today I would like a report of when & where.

            If you could e-mail your APRSIS32.XML file to ldeffenb@... I'll
            take a look at it and see if anything jumps out. I think you only need
            to have Enables/Tracking Enabled along with a good GPS Fix. Also, the
            Min and Max Times under the Genius configuration button might make a
            difference, but you should have at least gotten a packet when the fix
            was first acquired. What does the line under "APRS OK" say?

            http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=M6XSD-1 shows telemetry coming through which
            indicates that the APRS-IS password is not an issue.

            > If I get time today I will see if I can emulate a KISS TNC on my Laptop & see if I can get RF to work. I will use a different SSID for RF, so again if anyone sees me 'M6XSD-#' with any SSID I would like to know.

            APRSIS32 only supports one callsign per instance. I haven't yet sorted
            through the callsign uniqueness requirements across the various ports.
            To run a different call on the RF, you'll need to put a copy of APRSIS32
            in a different default directory which will then prompt for new
            configuration information. Multiple instances can share an OSM
            directory, but you might have to man-handle the configuration to avoid a
            second OSMTiles directory tree within your original OSMTiles directory.
            I don't remember if I fixed that for multiple instances yet or not.

            When you say "emulate a KISS TNC", can I inquire as to what you'll
            actually be running? There's so many options out there, I'm certain I
            haven't heard of them all yet!

            > I will let you know how I get on.

            I'm looking forward to your status! Especially on the RF front!

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ
          • Jerome Lofton
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010

              Lynn,

              Should the existing original version of APRSIS/32 be completely un-installed first before installing the new windows version ?

              Regards,
              Jerome
              WD4CWG

            • Guilford Jones
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010
                I just copied it over the old .exe file. I don't think it actually "installs" since only the .exe file was included in the zip file.
                --
                73's de KA5GIL

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010

                  Gil,

                  Thanks, that worked !

                  Jerome
                  WD4CWG

                  Inactive hide details for Guilford Jones ---02/10/2010 11:41:43 AM---I just copied it over the old .exe file. I don't think it Guilford Jones ---02/10/2010 11:41:43 AM---I just copied it over the old .exe file. I don't think it actually "installs" since only the .exe fi

                  Guilford Jones <captainjustice@...>

                  aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                  02/10/2010 11:41 AM

                  Re: [aprsisce] New APRSISCE/32 Release Notes! - Installation

                  Sent by:

                  aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010
                    Jerome Lofton wrote:

                    > Should the existing original version of APRSIS/32 be completely
                    > un-installed first before installing the new windows version ?

                    Nope, just copy the new .EXE overwriting the old one, double-click (or
                    however you normally start it) and you're in business.

                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ