Still confused...

  • Fred Eckert
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
      Hi Group,

      I have been soaking up all the great information everyone is providing. Thanks all. But... I am still confused as to what radio/TNC to get. Kenwood D710 or Yaesu FTM-350 or Alinco DR-135TP or something else?

      I see myself always using aprsis32 with the radio TNC in kiss mode. I like the kenwood because it is a well understood beast. I like the Yaesu because it has a blue back light on the display. I like the alinco because - well because Lynn has one.

      To me, The most important feature of the rig would be full rig control from the serial port. This combined with the soon to be released aprsis32 pass-port would enable me to do everything from the pc. It seems like the kenwood is the best for my application. Any suggestions or recommendations before I take the plunge and buy something???

      Thanks and very 73,
      Fred KJ4LFJ
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
        Fred Eckert wrote:
        > I have been soaking up all the great information everyone is providing. Thanks all. But... I am still confused as to what radio/TNC to get. Kenwood D710 or Yaesu FTM-350 or Alinco DR-135TP or something else?
        >
        > I see myself always using aprsis32 with the radio TNC in kiss mode. I like the kenwood because it is a well understood beast. I like the Yaesu because it has a blue back light on the display. I like the alinco because - well because Lynn has one.

        The Kenwood is a nice unit. It's dual band, it is smart enough to not
        beacon while the other side is in use, it keeps APRS traffic from coming
        out "accidentally" on your voice band. It has an internal TNC that is
        externally accessible by APRSISCE/32. When a smarter application is not
        connected, it will beacon on it's own and does messaging, albeit with a
        spin-and-click knob action.

        However, check the D710 Yahoo group and you'll find that there are
        apparently issues with some IF filters that fail after a year or two
        resulting in a round-trip to the Kenwood service center. The indication
        of this failure is a steady or abrupt decrease in receiver sensitivity
        or one side or the other going completely deaf.

        The Yaesu FTM-350 is a nice radio, but in true Yaesu fashion, the APRS
        and TNC functionality is not available to the outside world. If you're
        looking for a dual-bander with APRS functionality, this will work. If
        you want to hook up APRSISCE/32 to it, it's not happening. That being
        said, they could always upgrade the firmware to provide something
        because a friend of mine (W4WCQ) has one and we've managed to at least
        see some received packets out of it. No way to transmit yet.

        I own 3 Alinco DR-135s for two reasons. 1) They're cheap. I paid a
        little over $100 for each of them. 2) They support an internal TNC (I
        use the T2-135) giving a very clean dedicated APRS radio. However, I
        have two 5/8 wave 2m antennas on my car, and 2 radios on my hump (yes,
        it's a rear-wheel drive car). When APRS beacons, whatever I was
        listening to on the other radio blanks for a short bit. Several times
        I've come close ot needing a repeat, but for most casual conversation,
        it's not an issue.

        That being said, I've replaced one of my T2-135s with an external OT2m
        to get the second serial port. It now drives a Nuvi 350 for standalone
        operation on one port and has a Bluetooth to serial connection on the
        other end in KISS mode. When my phone with APRSISCE is in the car, I
        link it up and have an instant mobile IGate with map display feeding
        from RF as well as -IS. If the cellular goes down, I've still got a
        good APRS RF station running mobile.

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
          I have both the Kenwood D710 and the Alinco 135TP, if your main use is on a static pc then the Alinco cant be beat on its price alone!
          Its connection to the pc is real simple and the rig itself is very sturdy and has given me several years of continuous use with no problems as an Igate radio 24/7/365

          73
          Steve, kf6wax    Charlotte NC Igate

          On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Fred Eckert <fredeckert@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Teddy Banks

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2010
              Thanks to all for the replies. I am going to take a good look at using two Alinco DR-135s. Bringing the voice radio PTT into the PC on an input bit may be all that is needed to inhibit data transmission when talking. Also, a software timer might be used to inhibit data TX resume until a time span passes. This will prevent beacons from firing off right in the middle of a QSO.

              73,
              Fred KJ4LFJ