Manual position input

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
      First, I would like to thank Lynn for his wonderful APRSISCE for windows32 program.
      The seemless maps are great!

      I have not yet found a way to manually put my position in so that I don't congregate with the other NON manuel readers at the South Pole!

      If manual position input is available , where am I missing it?

      Thanks!
      73, Steve, kf6wax
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
        With the GPS disabled, pan and zoom the map until the center is where
        you want to be. Click Transmit, answer Yes to "Move Me to Center" and
        you're done.

        PS. Maybe I need to change the Transmit menu option to say "Set
        Position" when the GPS is disabled....

        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
          "Maybe I need to change the Transmit menu option to say "Set
          Position" when the GPS is disabled...."

          Gets my vote!

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
            I know, not "Set Position", but "Move ME"....I feel the earth, move,
            under my feet, I feel the sky tumbling down...

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

            Fred Hillhouse wrote:

            > "Maybe I need to change the Transmit menu option to say "Set
            > Position" when the GPS is disabled...."
            >
            > Gets my vote!

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
              Thanks Lynn and also Fred, That seems like a great idea.

              I thought I had done this, BUT this morning I was propping up the South Pole again!  LOL

              Also while I Think about it, I do not seem able to find the setup for an Igate, (running on another machine)

              Also a WISH LIST item, the ability to hover over a station and get the details from that station rather than click on it?  Please?

              Cheers
              and 73 Steve, kf6wax

              Steve wrote:
              > First, I would like to thank Lynn for his wonderful APRSISCE for windows32 program.
              > The seemless maps are great!
              >
              > I have not yet found a way to manually put my position in so that I don't congregate with the other NON manuel readers at the South Pole!
              >
              > If manual position input is available , where am I missing it?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > 73, Steve, kf6wax

            • Kevin Reeve
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                Re: [aprsisce] Manual position input I will second the hover idea Steve has suggested.
                Also the IGATE if it does not do it yet.

                Our group supports a 206 mile single day bike race that goes from Logan UT to Jackson Wyoming.  We have 4 net control points, and 2 of them are in locations where there are no I-gates available so we set them up for this event.  We install portable digis for the event.  There is so much radio traffic on the air that the APRS allows us to see the support vehicles and know where they are without having to ask.  Our next goal is some APRS messaging including lookups of riders via APRS.

                In the Jackson WY we have used a tool to  gate a filtered narrow area of APRS stations from the internet to RF.  Not something we would do regularly but there is no I-GATE there, almost no APRS traffic until we show up.  We have some stations that need to see where the other vehicles are during the event.

                Enjoying the discussion on balloons and APRS.  In the 90’s our club teamed up with some researches at the University and flew a dozen or so with all kinds of ham radio gear on board.  It was a ton of fun.

                Kevin

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                  Steve wrote:
                  > Also while I Think about it, I do not seem able to find the setup for
                  > an Igate, (running on another machine)

                  To be an IGate, simply configure an RF Port, keep all the defaults and
                  APRS-IS enabled and your bi-directional gating.

                  > Also a WISH LIST item, the ability to hover over a station and get
                  > the details from that station rather than click on it? Please?

                  Sorry, hover isn't happening. Consider what hover means when you're
                  zoomed out and looking at 18,000 stations of the world. I really don't
                  think you want APRSIS32 scanning through 18,000 rectangles every time
                  the mouse moves just to see if it needs to tell you something. Every
                  time you wave your mouse over the window, your CPU would slow to a
                  crawl. And hover is a meaningless statement for a touchscreen device.

                  Oh, and just because I say No once, doesn't mean it won't appear
                  sometime down the time-line.

                  > Cheers
                  > and 73 Steve, kf6wax
                  >
                  > On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...
                  > <mailto:kj4erj@...>> wrote:
                  >

                  > With the GPS disabled, pan and zoom the map until the center is where
                  > you want to be. Click Transmit, answer Yes to "Move Me to Center" and
                  > you're done.

                  > PS. Maybe I need to change the Transmit menu option to say "Set
                  > Position" when the GPS is disabled....
                  >

                  > Steve wrote:
                  > > First, I would like to thank Lynn for his wonderful APRSISCE for
                  > windows32 program.
                  > > The seemless maps are great!
                  > >
                  > > I have not yet found a way to manually put my position in so
                  > that I don't congregate with the other NON manuel readers at the
                  > South Pole!
                  > >
                  > > If manual position input is available , where am I missing it?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!
                  > > 73, Steve, kf6wax

                • Randy Love
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                    On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

                    Oh, and just because I say No once, doesn't mean it won't appear
                    sometime down the time-line.

                    Lynn,

                    How about hover capabilities but only below zoom level x, for the PC version at least.
                    I know, it doesn't solve the touchscreen device problem, but certainly makes it a usable options where it would make most sense to be able to use it. :)

                    Randy
                    WF5X

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                      The hover mode is a user item in uiview32 and when I am zoomed far out i do not see the hover being an issue, nor does it put my CPU into crisis mode.

                      In reality  I suspect most users are zoomed in to a position where only a few stations are seen at any one time

                      73
                      Steve,  and thanks again for the really swift answers!!

                      Steve wrote:
                      > Also while I Think about it, I do not seem able to find the setup for
                      > an Igate, (running on another machine)

                      To be an IGate, simply configure an RF Port, keep all the defaults and
                      APRS-IS enabled and your bi-directional gating.

                      >  Also a WISH LIST item, the ability to hover over a station and get
                      > the details from that station rather than click on it?  Please?

                      Sorry, hover isn't happening.  Consider what hover means when you're
                      zoomed out and looking at 18,000 stations of the world.  I really don't
                      think you want APRSIS32 scanning through 18,000 rectangles every time
                      the mouse moves just to see if it needs to tell you something.  Every
                      time you wave your mouse over the window, your CPU would slow to a
                      crawl.  And hover is a meaningless statement for a touchscreen device.

                      Oh, and just because I say No once, doesn't mean it won't appear
                      sometime down the time-line.

                      > Cheers
                      > and 73 Steve, kf6wax
                      >
                      > On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...
                      > <mailto:kj4erj@...>> wrote:
                      >

                      >     With the GPS disabled, pan and zoom the map until the center is where
                      >     you want to be. Click Transmit, answer Yes to "Move Me to Center" and
                      >     you're done.
                      >
                      >     Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
                      >
                      >     PS. Maybe I need to change the Transmit menu option to say "Set
                      >     Position" when the GPS is disabled....
                      >

                      >     Steve wrote:
                      >     > First, I would like to thank Lynn for his wonderful APRSISCE for
                      >     windows32 program.
                      >     > The seemless maps are great!
                      >     >
                      >     > I have not yet found a way to manually put my position in so
                      >     that I don't congregate with the other NON manuel readers at the
                      >     South Pole!
                      >     >
                      >     > If manual position input is available , where am I missing it?
                      >     >
                      >     > Thanks!
                      >     > 73, Steve, kf6wax
                      >     >

                      <*> Your email settings:
                         Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                         (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                         aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                         aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                        Hi Lynn,

                        I think that a mechanism to enter position into data fields, as well as by moving the crosshairs, make sense as well. This same or similar mechanism could make it easier to put an object down as well.

                        For the object, I am thinking that sometimes I have data and rather than moving a map around to find the correct point, it would be easier to update fields. In theory, anything moving should probably just have a beacon attached but we all know that isn't reality. Sometimes the data comes from sources out of our control. Of course someone could write a script or something to place the object. I imagine someone is doing that now for the hurricanes. The point is really to make initializing/updating the object position easier.

                        Of course the longitude and latitude format chosen will probably generate a bunch of questions or grumblings as well. I do like SDDD.DDDDD myself. ;)

                        [Now what is a script and how do I write it and run it?]

                        Best regards,
                        Fred

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                          On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                          > I think that a mechanism to enter position into data fields, as well as by
                          > moving the crosshairs, make sense as well. This same or similar
                          > mechanism could make it easier to put an object down as well.

                          Send yourself an object in a message...

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                            Hi James,

                            Today is the first time it struck that an object can be part of a message. I have not gone beyond glancing through the link Lynn put up earlier. Until I do, I have these questions to find these answers to:

                            Is this object only visible to me or would it go out to APRS-IS as well?
                            How does this object get killed eventually.

                            Thanks!
                            Fred

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                              On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                              > Today is the first time it struck that an object can be part of a message.
                              > I have not gone beyond glancing through the link Lynn put up earlier. Until
                              > I do, I have these questions to find these answers to:
                              >
                              > Is this object only visible to me or would it go out to APRS-IS as well?
                              > How does this object get killed eventually.

                              I dunno... I was just being a Parrot! I've never investigated this
                              object in a message thing.

                              It sounds like Lynn is supporting it in APRSISCE/32, so if you want to
                              jump through the hoops, and send a message to your APRSISCE/32
                              instance, you should be able to get that object right where you want
                              it.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                                Almost, but you have to send it from one instance to another.
                                APRSISCE/32 doesn't support sending a message from/to itself (yet, I'm
                                considering allowing that and even getting the acks through).

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                                  An Item-As-Message has been specified since 2008. However, APRSISCE/32
                                  is the only APRS client to actually implement this portion of the spec.
                                  Not even APRS.FI will show this object, but will instead list it as a
                                  normal message.

                                  APRSISCE/32 will display all item-as-message object that it sees.
                                  However, they are NOT persistent and there is no specified way to kill
                                  them, but then since they're Items, albeit with a targeted delivery, a
                                  normal Item Kill message would probably suffice. As it is, APRSISCE/32
                                  currently forgets about them when it closes, but I hope to have it adopt
                                  them as non-beaconing, local Objects at some point.

                                  PS. I used this to put objects on my map while geocaching before I
                                  built the Object support. It was broken for a while, but it is working
                                  in all of the latest releases.

                                  Fred Hillhouse wrote:

                                  > Hi James,
                                  >
                                  > Today is the first time it struck that an object can be part of a
                                  > message. I have not gone beyond glancing through the link Lynn put up
                                  > earlier. Until I do, I have these questions to find these answers to:
                                  >
                                  > Is this object only visible to me or would it go out to APRS-IS as well?
                                  > How does this object get killed eventually.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks!
                                  > Fred

                                • David Shrum
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                                    Careful Lynn, you might expose how you are with that song. :-)

                                    Dave N8PU

                                    I know, not "Set Position", but "Move ME"....I feel the earth, move,
                                    under my feet, I feel the sky tumbling down...

                                    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

                                    14:34:00
                                  • Colin Catlin
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                                      Ahh yes, Carole King, that takes me back to when I was a young lad.
                                      I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoHuxpa4h48&NR=1 and it brought it all back:)

                                      And back on topic. Yes I like the idea of 'Move Me' when GPS is disabled.

                                      73,
                                      Colin.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                                        Personally I find hover like all the the other gimmicks that fall into the category of the computer trying to second guess what I want to do. At least half the time I find it irritating because it isn't. For example there's a website that expands images whenever you hover over a thumbnail. Half the time the expanded image of the thumbnail you passed over obscures what you actually wanted to click on.

                                        I prefer programs (and websites) to do nothing until I specifically request it, by clicking on something.

                                        Julian, G4ILO

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                                          How many of you running Windows 7 have gotten the mouse a little bit too
                                          close to the task bar and had those obnoxious preview windows pop up
                                          right over top of the piece of your document that you wanted to select?
                                          And how many of you have clicked on the little tiny X on that preview
                                          window thinking it would make the preview go away (no, it closes the
                                          REAL window!).

                                          Rest assured, Julian. If I ever do hover, it will be a purely
                                          configurable option that I expect 80% of the people will turn off after
                                          actually using the client in their area for more than a few days. The
                                          last thing I need is more little windows fading in and out when I just
                                          shove the mouse out of the way of my editor and have it land on top of
                                          my APRSIS32 window.

                                          g4ilo wrote:
                                          > Personally I find hover like all the the other gimmicks that fall into the category of the computer trying to second guess what I want to do. At least half the time I find it irritating because it isn't. For example there's a website that expands images whenever you hover over a thumbnail. Half the time the expanded image of the thumbnail you passed over obscures what you actually wanted to click on.
                                          >
                                          > I prefer programs (and websites) to do nothing until I specifically request it, by clicking on something.
                                          >
                                          > Julian, G4ILO
                                          >
                                          > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...>wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >>> Oh, and just because I say No once, doesn't mean it won't appear
                                          >>> sometime down the time-line.

                                          >> Lynn,
                                          >>
                                          >> How about hover capabilities but only below zoom level x, for the PC version
                                          >> at least.
                                          >> I know, it doesn't solve the touchscreen device problem, but certainly makes
                                          >> it a usable options where it would make most sense to be able to use it. :)
                                          >>
                                          >> Randy
                                          >> WF5X

                                        • g4ilo
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                                            I've now implemented sending WOTA spots from the website as item-as-messages (finally found the problem that was causing them not to appear - the lat/lon format is very specific.) They do only appear on the client they are addressed to, though one of the locals saw one too - don't know if he was eavesdropping or had a buddy filter for the sender (b/WOTA) in his configuration.

                                            The next step is to intercept these messages and convert them to real objects which will appear on aprs.fi and transmitted on RF for the local mobiles. For that I'm going to need some hooks into APRSIS32 though.

                                            Julian, G4ILO

                                            > An Item-As-Message has been specified since 2008. However, APRSISCE/32
                                            > is the only APRS client to actually implement this portion of the spec.
                                            > Not even APRS.FI will show this object, but will instead list it as a
                                            > normal message.
                                            >
                                            > APRSISCE/32 will display all item-as-message object that it sees.
                                            > However, they are NOT persistent and there is no specified way to kill
                                            > them, but then since they're Items, albeit with a targeted delivery, a
                                            > normal Item Kill message would probably suffice. As it is, APRSISCE/32
                                            > currently forgets about them when it closes, but I hope to have it adopt
                                            > them as non-beaconing, local Objects at some point.

                                            > PS. I used this to put objects on my map while geocaching before I
                                            > built the Object support. It was broken for a while, but it is working
                                            > in all of the latest releases.
                                            >
                                            > Fred Hillhouse wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > Hi James,
                                            > >
                                            > > Today is the first time it struck that an object can be part of a
                                            > > message. I have not gone beyond glancing through the link Lynn put up
                                            > > earlier. Until I do, I have these questions to find these answers to:
                                            > >
                                            > > Is this object only visible to me or would it go out to APRS-IS as well?
                                            > > How does this object get killed eventually.
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks!
                                            > > Fred

                                          • g4ilo
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010

                                              > How many of you running Windows 7 have gotten the mouse a little bit too
                                              > close to the task bar and had those obnoxious preview windows pop up
                                              > right over top of the piece of your document that you wanted to select?
                                              > And how many of you have clicked on the little tiny X on that preview
                                              > window thinking it would make the preview go away (no, it closes the
                                              > REAL window!).

                                              Linux does it too. My Eee PC has a launch bar that slides down from the top, and half the time just as I'm trying to close an application it slides down and I end up launching something else instead. Isn't progress wonderful!

                                              Julian, G4ILO
                                            • Teddy Banks
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 1, 2010
                                                Carol King=Very talented lady, one of my favorites. :)