Re: D7 & RF only using APRSIS32

  • huf1967
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2010
      > Your GPS splitter cable is pretty funky.

      Yeah, it was something that I thought would work for what I'm trying to do but obviously not.

      > You can not feed GPS data into the D7 and have it pass that data on to
      > the computer plugged into the PC port.

      Well actually I thought the cable I was using would pass GPS data to the computer as well as pass RF data to the computer at the same time. I didn't think the laptop was getting GPS data via the D7. I will get a serial/usb adapter as you've suggested and go from there. I'm tired of pulling out my hair trying to get something accomplished that shouldn't be that hard.

      > You can't have the laptop
      > running APRSISCE/32 controlling the D7 while the D7 is in APRS mode.

      By being in APRS mode I'm assuming you're referring to the D7 beaconing or just having the TNC open, packet mode ??

      > What you want to do is possible, just the way that you have it plugged
      > together will not work.

      Well that's is good news. For a minute I thought I was chasing something that couldn't be caught !!

      Thanks to everyone for all their help. I will take another stab at it after I get separate cables for both the radio and GPS.

      Thanks,
      Jay - KC9QOW
    • Kurt Savegnago
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2010
        Look at it this way:

        APRS mode in a D7 is for when one wants to operate with a D7 with their
        handheld GPS like a Garmin 60Cs or CsX totally independent from a computer.

        Packet mode is when one wants to operate with a computer and the D7 is simply acting as a dumb TNC. Most programs allow one to plug a USB GPS into the laptop and the control program, APRSIS, Xastir, UIView, USAPhotomaps, etc. does the control, Uses the computer attached GPS for position and the programs will beacon that data as desired through the D7. In this case, the computer is doing the control, instead of the D7

        The only disadvantage to the D7 I've heard is that the TNC had overflow problems at 9600 baud when in packet mode. I've been told they are trying to fix that in the upcoming D72 but folks who are APRS users shouldn't notice at all.

        The folks in the Yaesu -8R group are still trying to get the VX-8GR to display incoming data on a laptop. That should be doable though the TNC is STILL not fully accessible/controllable by a computer and those poor boys/girls will be rudely awakened when the can't crack that nut. Will be a receive only setup. No messaging from a control computer program.

        The D7 was the only thing that could do that in a handheld and the D72 will pick up where the D7 left off. (Off course the Kenwood mobiles are
        fully integrable but in a larger package. The Yaesu FT-350's only drawback is it can't digipeat. (Unless they've done a recent firmware upgrade that allows it to.)

        Kurt KC9LDH

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2010
          On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:41 PM, huf1967 <jayschinkel@...> wrote:

          >> You can't have the laptop
          >> running APRSISCE/32 controlling the D7 while the D7 is in APRS mode.
          >
          > By being in APRS mode I'm assuming you're referring to the
          > D7 beaconing or just having the TNC open, packet mode ??

          Nope, I mean having the D7 in APRS mode. You can have the D7 acting as
          it's own boss, or just being a plain old TNC. In APRS mode the
          software built into the D7 looks after reading the incoming GPS data,
          creating APRS position packets, and sending them at the appropriate
          time, as well as being able to send messages. It also decodes incoming
          packets, and shows the information on the display. When you are in
          packet mode, all the internal APRS smarts are turned off, and you need
          to have an external program look after figuring out what to send, and
          how to display what is received.

          You can't have the D7 in APRS mode AND have APRSISCE/32 running the
          show as well. Too many bosses trying to do the same job. The D7
          doesn't share any APRS data out the PC port, and ignores anything
          APRSISCE/32 is trying to tell it.

          To make things more interesting, the D710 does have a permissive APRS
          control program. It will let an outside program snoop on what it is
          doing, and the outside program can also poke it's nose in, and tell
          the D710 what do say. The D710 will also share the GPS data through
          that same port. If you had a D710, you COULD do what you are trying to
          do with the D7.

        • Kai Gunter Brandt
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2010
            On 09/01/2010 03:15 PM, James Ewen wrote:
            > On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:41 PM, huf1967 <jayschinkel@...> wrote:
            >

            >>> You can't have the laptop
            >>> running APRSISCE/32 controlling the D7 while the D7 is in APRS mode.
            >>>
            >> By being in APRS mode I'm assuming you're referring to the
            >> D7 beaconing or just having the TNC open, packet mode ??
            >>
            > Nope, I mean having the D7 in APRS mode. You can have the D7 acting as
            > it's own boss, or just being a plain old TNC. In APRS mode the
            > software built into the D7 looks after reading the incoming GPS data,
            > creating APRS position packets, and sending them at the appropriate
            > time, as well as being able to send messages. It also decodes incoming
            > packets, and shows the information on the display. When you are in
            > packet mode, all the internal APRS smarts are turned off, and you need
            > to have an external program look after figuring out what to send, and
            > how to display what is received.
            >
            > You can't have the D7 in APRS mode AND have APRSISCE/32 running the
            > show as well. Too many bosses trying to do the same job. The D7
            > doesn't share any APRS data out the PC port, and ignores anything
            > APRSISCE/32 is trying to tell it.
            >
            > To make things more interesting, the D710 does have a permissive APRS
            > control program. It will let an outside program snoop on what it is
            > doing, and the outside program can also poke it's nose in, and tell
            > the D710 what do say. The D710 will also share the GPS data through
            > that same port. If you had a D710, you COULD do what you are trying to
            > do with the D7.
            >
            > James
            > VE6SRV

            I think we have been on this topic before or was it on a different
            group? anyhow

            You can receive aprs traffic when it's in APRS mode but not in the
            regular format.
            But it's quite easy formating.
            You can also read/write messages with a computer while in APRS mode.

            Just use this as a refference
            http://www.radio-active.net.au/web/ham/d7.html and see if there are any
            limitations.

            Kai Gunter
            LA3QMA
          • huf1967
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 19, 2010
              Well the good news is that we now have the capabilities of watching our balloons via RF only. It seems as though the problem was not only the cable, but the fact that we needed to set "quiet time" to 0 seconds instead of the default 60 seconds. Nobody mentioned that before but after hours of scouring post after post my ballooning partner found the answer.

              One thing that seems to be happening which doesn't make sense is that my call sign is showing in the station list exactly every 2 minutes. I do not have beaconing enabled through APRSIS32 nor do I have beaconing enabled through the port I've created for the D7. Even though I don't have beaconing enabled inside APRSIS32, I still have it set for 30 minutes and I have the beaconing set for 30 minutes on my radio, even though I can't have it in packet mode and beacon at the same time. Even though I'm showing up in the station list I'm not actually getting out via RF.

              My question is, why am I showing up in the station list and is this normal ??

              Thanks,
              Jay - KC9QOW
            • ae5jo
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 25, 2010
                Not to revive an old thread but trying to figure out if anybody has successfully run with a TM-D700 or TH-D7.

                I have used a tablet PC with both radios using UI-View and would love to switch the mobile and portable units to APRSIS32. I personally tend to connect a seperate GPS receiver to the PC to input the data directly instead of passing it through the Kenwood though I can see where it would be useful to recieve it as well. Any chance support for the older 2 Kenwoods could be added in later versions of the software?

                Thanks!
                John