K6RPT-14 Balloon has landed

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
    K6RPT-14 has landed. You can view APRS infrastructure usage for the
    WIDE2-1 balloon at:

    http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Balloons/K6RPT-14*

    The track view from APRSIS32 is:

    http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/Balloons/K6RPT-14-2010-08-30.png

    Beacons are still being received direct by an IGate even now that the
    balloon is on the ground (or maybe in a tree if you look at Google's
    satellite view). I copied the peak altitude packet at 122,675 feet.
    I've also attached a .GPX file of the flight if it makes it through the
    mailing list.

    Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - APRS Infrastructure Visualization
  • Rick Yahoo
    Message 2 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
      Hi Lynn
      I had save apx check but I don't see the file in my aprsis folder, does it Dave sewher else
      Thanks Rick

      Rick's IPhone / KD4DRA

      Message 3 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
        Did you move? It only auto-saves the GPX for Me if you move and when
        you either disable the GPS, clear the tracks, or close the program. At
        least, I think it saves it at all of those points.

        If you want to save the GPX for another station, you have to click on
        the station and select "Save Track". You really don't want Auto-Save
        GPX to save all tracks for all stations, do you?

        Message 4 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
          The file is saved on the Yahoo group site in the attachments section.

          Best regards,
          Fred

          Message 5 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
            Ah, I apologize. I thought you were asking about the balloon flight today and the GPX file Lynn posted. I guess I should practice reading a bit. ;)

            Best regards,
            Fred

            Message 6 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010

              Hi All

              Can anyone script in PHP or similar.

              I would like a page for Balloon alerts, that is people ask to be included, and then one message could be typed for alerting everyone included over aprs.

              It would need a password or something to stop spam being sent over aprs.

              Steve

              G6UIM

            • Rick Yahoo
              Message 7 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
                I was trying to save the balloon activity with recovery
                Thanks

                Rick's IPhone / KD4DRA

                Message 8 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
                  For the information of those not eavesdropping on our APRS conversation.

                  I have a ToDo list item to implement friendly CQSRVR support including
                  the ability to keep a subscription to the group active. This means that
                  every N minutes (configurable), APRSISCE/32 will send a configurable CQ
                  message to a configurable group (or groups) to keep your membership
                  active. N will necessarily be > 30 minutes and < 12 hours.

                  This could allow a "CQ Balloon" group, for instance, to have
                  "persistent" members all of whom are informed of the other's interest
                  every time they freshen their membership. This would work within the
                  CQSRVR operating parameters.

                  The limitation will come when someone wants to post status updates on a
                  balloon's progress as they'll still be limited to a single message every
                  30 minutes. However, they can send a directed message to someone else
                  that's watching and that person can send out the announcement.

                  Message 9 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
                    Interesting. I sent a message at 17:03 and received back 0 messages sent. No I think the first pass registered me but did not sent a message. The ? I sent later was maybe counted as a message?

                    I will have to run through the example on the website.
                    Best regards,
                    Fred

                    2010-08-30 17:03:33 EDT: N7FMH-AP>CQSRVR: CQ Balloon K6RPT-14 20100830
                    2010-08-30 17:03:33 EDT: CQSRVR>N7FMH-AP: 0 messages sent to BALLOON
                    2010-08-30 17:05:35 EDT: N7FMH-AP>G6UIM: send a message "CQ Balloon" to CQSRVR. That should register you as
                    2010-08-30 17:05:36 EDT: N7FMH-AP>G6UIM: part of the group
                    2010-08-30 17:05:47 EDT: N7FMH-AP>CQSRVR: ?
                    2010-08-30 17:05:47 EDT: CQSRVR>N7FMH-AP: Active group: BALLOON with 1 members

                    Steve wrote:

                    > Hi All
                    >
                    > Can anyone script in PHP or similar.
                    >
                    > I would like a page for Balloon alerts, that is people ask to be
                    > included, and then one message could be typed for alerting everyone
                    > included over aprs.
                    >
                    > It would need a password or something to stop spam being sent over aprs.
                    >

                    > Steve
                    >
                    > G6UIM

                  • Colin Catlin
                    Message 10 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                      Hi Lynn,

                      That sounds like it could be ideal for WOTA and perhaps SOTA (although that may need to be split into regions to cope with the potential throughput needed).
                      There are a few of us interested in APRS within WOTA now, so could be a good way of generating even more interest.

                      I will have to see what Julian thinks about this & if it could superceded the existing Spot alert system or just complement it.

                      Perhaps we need to set up a 3 way chat (if that is possible now?) and discuss it.

                      73,
                      Colin.

                      Steve wrote:

                      > Hi All
                      >
                      > Can anyone script in PHP or similar.
                      >
                      > I would like a page for Balloon alerts, that is people ask to be
                      > included, and then one message could be typed for alerting everyone
                      > included over aprs.
                      >
                      > It would need a password or something to stop spam being sent over aprs.
                      >

                      > Steve
                      >
                      > G6UIM

                    • Colin Catlin
                      Message 11 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                        Hi Lynn,

                        I'm getting the following error when launching the latest Dev version:

                        73,
                        Colin.
                        Message 12 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                          3 way Chat is not there yet. CQSRVR support is.

                          Message 13 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                            This was a Yahoo\-delayed message (not spam filtered) finally delivered
                            since 5:19 this morning. This issue has been fixed in the (now latest)
                            development release.

                            Colin Catlin wrote:
                            > Hi Lynn,
                            >
                            > I'm getting the following error when launching the latest Dev version:
                            >

                            > 73,
                            > Colin.
                          • Colin
                            Message 14 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                              Sorry Lynn,

                              I should have said which 'Latest', I should have expected you to have come up with a fix before the message hit the Yahoo Group:).

                              73,
                              Colin.

                              > This was a Yahoo\-delayed message (not spam filtered) finally delivered
                              > since 5:19 this morning. This issue has been fixed in the (now latest)
                              > development release.

                              > Colin Catlin wrote:
                              > > Hi Lynn,
                              > >
                              > > I'm getting the following error when launching the latest Dev version:
                              > >

                              > > 73,
                              > > Colin.

                            • g4ilo
                              Message 15 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, Colin Catlin <colin2e0xsd@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Lynn,
                                >
                                > That sounds like it could be ideal for WOTA and perhaps SOTA (although
                                > that may need to be split into regions to cope with the potential
                                > throughput needed).
                                > There are a few of us interested in APRS within WOTA now, so could be a
                                > good way of generating even more interest.
                                >
                                > I will have to see what Julian thinks about this & if it could
                                > superceded the existing Spot alert system or just complement it.
                                >
                                > Perhaps we need to set up a 3 way chat (if that is possible now?) and
                                > discuss it.

                                I'm more interested in ways to create an actual object, positioned on the summit, when an activator is spotted.

                                Julian, G4ILO
                                Message 16 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                                  Pan and zoom your map to center the summit and then select Configure /
                                  Object / Create. Answer Yes and fill in the required information.
                                  Done. Assuming you're doing this on a station that actually transmits
                                  via RF. Otherwise, it'll only show up on APRS-IS.

                                  Or is that a cheeky answer to the wrong question?

                                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ