WIN32 aprisce

  • Phillip
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hi Lynn,
      Just to let you know I have the Win32 aprsisce on test here
      looks good ..

      Awaiting more inovations etc

      73 Phillip
      ZL2TZE
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
        Phillip wrote:
        > Hi Lynn,
        > Just to let you know I have the Win32 aprsisce on test here
        > looks good ..

        Thanks for the feedback. If you see anything you'd like changed please
        mention it here. Even if it's been mentioned by others. It'll help me
        set my development priorities.

        > Awaiting more inovations etc

        I had hoped to have the KISS/NMEA GPS support out by now, but my day job
        has been stretching into the evening for the past several weeks. I did
        take a mobile APRSISCE (yes, the Windows Mobile version) IGate on a road
        trip this past Saturday and Sunday. The IGate was running as KJ4ERJ-12
        and was co-resident in our Safari van which tracks (RF-only) as
        KJ4OVQ-9. I guess it's not surprising that KJ4ERJ-12 gated most of
        KJ4OVQ-9's packets for the trip, given that the two antennas were only 4
        feet apart.

        The setup was:

        KJ4ERJ-12 was APRSISCE running on an AT&T Tilt phone
        BlueTooth serial link from phone to an IOGear GBS301 BT to Serial
        GBS301 plugged into a T2-135 TNC embedded in an Alinco DR-135 radio
        Borrowed dual-bander 1/4 wave mag mount on the roof

        KJ4OVQ-9 is the standard tracker in the Safar
        Nuvi 350 hooked to a T2-135 embedded in another Alinco DR-135 radio
        1/2 wave mounted on fender so it looks like a redundant FM radio antenna

        While on that test run, I uncovered an apparent issue in APRSISCE. It
        runs for about 1-2 hours with full gating before freezing the program.
        I can force the program to close without rebooting the phone, but
        there's definitely some sort of leak in the KISS or IGate support. Now
        I have to embed some diagnostics in the program to figure out what's
        going worng.

        Once I get that debugged, and get a configuration dialog on the serial
        port configuration (BlueTooth serial ports are harder to discover under
        Windows Mobile than they are on Win32), I should be able to get it released.

        Anyway, that's the state of the code at this point. Let me know what
        else you'd like in the next release and I'll see what I can do!
        Hopefully soon I'll be able to update my ToDo list so you know what's
        been suggested already!

      • Phillip
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
          Hi Lynn,
                         Thanks for your efforts..

          How do I send a beacon I have my Lat/Long set I am connected to the APRS-IS

          1/ Documentation ( Help file )

          2/ Be nice to see either AGW or BPQ support or both for the desk top version, this will allow multiple ports
              BPQ is being updated all the time

          3/ Be able to configure all settings via pop up windows

          4/ Allow for more than 1 selected APRS-IS so that if 1 disappears the program will move to the next

          5/ Selectable Miles or Kilometres etc

          73 Phillip
          ZL2TZE

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
            Phillip wrote:
            > Hi Lynn,
            > Thanks for your efforts..
            >
            > How do I send a beacon I have my Lat/Long set I am connected to the
            > APRS-IS

            If you have your lat/lon set and the correct APRS-IS password
            configured, APRSIS32 should be sending beacons. Please do the following
            steps and e-mail the resulting APRSIS32.LOG along with your APRSIS32.XML
            file to KJ4ERJ@...:

            1) Turn on Enables/Debug Logging
            2) Close the client
            3) Restart the client
            4) Wait a few minutes and/or hit the Transmit menu option (if enabled)
            5) Turn off Enables/Debug Logging
            6) Close the client. APRSIS32.LOG and APRSIS32.XML should be in the
            directory with APRSIS32.EXE. Email those files to KJ4ERJ@....

            > 1/ Documentation ( Help file )

            On the list, but probably not very high as things are still changing
            pretty quickly. I'm thinking of an annotated screen that describes the
            visual functions well in advance of any formal documentation.

            > 2/ Be nice to see either AGW or BPQ support or both for the desk top
            > version, this will allow multiple ports
            > BPQ is being updated all the time

            I'm not familiar with BPQ. Can you provide a link to developer's
            information on interfacing to it? I've got some idea of how to use AGW,
            but KISS will definitely be released first.

            > 3/ Be able to configure all settings via pop up windows

            I've got plans for this one, but for normal users, the parameters
            presented currently are all that should need to be changed. I'm
            planning an "advanced" configuration that will walk through ALL of the
            parameters of the XML file with some short textual description of what
            the parameter does. At least you won't have to close the client, edit
            the XML, re-start the client!

            > 4/ Allow for more than 1 selected APRS-IS so that if 1 disappears the
            > program will move to the next

            If you use one of the rotate DNS names (rotate.aprs.net or
            rotate.aprs2.net) or one of the regional names
            (http://www.aprs2.net/#regional), rotation will be automatic. I'll add
            this to the list, however, for those that want tighter control of which
            APRS-IS servers to use. (For those that didn't know, the default
            APRS-IS server is rotate.aprs2.net). The upcoming release will show the
            configured and current APRS-IS server/port in the Info popup of your own
            station ("Me").

            > 5/ Selectable Miles or Kilometres etc

            On the list and raising in priority....Just don't ask me for
            internationalized languages any time soon. That's MUCH more complex
            than I plan to get anytime soon. I'm too impatient of a coder to not
            put quoted strings directly in the source code!

            Keep the suggestions coming!

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
              Save your time in looking for the "Transmit" menu option. I got my cart
              ahead of my horse on that one as it's currently only in the Windows
              Mobile client. It will appear in the Win32 client when NMEA GPS support
              is released. However, the sequence below still applies to collect a
              debugging long when having problems....

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ