Re: [aprsisce] Buddies Redefined (Solicitation in last paragraph)

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2010
      Rob Giuliano wrote:

      > I agree with the BUDDY LIST thouhgt. However, it is difficult to get
      > the intent with variations on calsign length:
      > KB8R* Valid callsign and if the expectation is to only see
      > associated SSIDs, then you will also get KB8RCO-7.
      > KB8R-* This version won't gather info on KB8R-0 which is
      > sent as KB8R
      > or will it? I'm not sure how that is implemented.

      That's the difference between the filter settings and what APRSISCE/32
      considers to be a buddy for its internal purposed (like View / Buddies,
      highlighting packets, preserving tracks and not removing the max age
      station). In the past, anything that matched any of the wild-card buddy
      filters would both be returned by APRS-IS and considered "special" by
      APRSISCE/32. This is what changed (Colin, this might ease some of your
      memory constraints).

      A filter of b/KB8R* will indeed return KB8RCO-7, but APRSISCE/32 won't
      consider that to be a buddy. So, you'll see the packets from the
      station, but it will no longer be "special" to the client.

      If you want to only receive KB8R's packets, you would need b/KB8R/KB8R-*
      as a double buddy filter. In this case, both the SSID-less KB8R and all
      -SSIDs will be considered buddies and APRS-IS won't send you any extra
      packets either.