Does aprsisce support Socks proxy?

  • jg2rzf
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2010
      Hi,

      Is this software support Socks proxy?

      My mobile phone provider support two Internet connection.
      One is directly connected to the Internet but it doesn't support MMS,
      and another is connected to Internet through Web proxy/Socks server but it supports MMS.

      I try to use the second connection, but this software cannot connect APRS server. The first connection, it works.

      Hopefully, I want to use this on the first connection.
      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2010
        Sorry, but APRSISCE (and all of APRS-IS, in point of fact) requires a
        direct socket connection. It is not a web connection.

        And no, I do not currently support a Socks proxy and don't really have
        any plans to. If there's enough demand, maybe, but you are the first
        person to ask in the 1+years of having the client in the field.

        May I ask who your phone provider is?

        jg2rzf wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Is this software support Socks proxy?
        >
        > My mobile phone provider support two Internet connection.
        > One is directly connected to the Internet but it doesn't support MMS,
        > and another is connected to Internet through Web proxy/Socks server but it supports MMS.
        >
        > I try to use the second connection, but this software cannot connect APRS server. The first connection, it works.
        >
        > Hopefully, I want to use this on the first connection.
        > Thanks.

      • FUJIURA Toyonori
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2010
          Dear Lynn.

          Thanks reply and I understood, but it is very inconvenience.
          Because not only putty but also AGWTracker support it.
          Please add it in your plan..

          My phone prover is EMOBILE.
          http://www.gsmworld.com/Roaming/Gsminfo/net_jpem.shtml
          And MMS connection requres the following settings.
          wm.internal.emnet.ne.jp / 8080 (HTTP proxy) 1080 (Socks proxy)

          Thank you.

          2010/1/31 Lynn W. Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...>:
          > Sorry, but APRSISCE (and all of APRS-IS, in point of fact) requires a
          > direct socket connection.  It is not a web connection.
          >
          > And no, I do not currently support a Socks proxy and don't really have
          > any plans to.  If there's enough demand, maybe, but you are the first
          > person to ask in the 1+years of having the client in the field.
          >
          > May I ask who your phone provider is?

          > jg2rzf wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> Is this software support Socks proxy?
          >>
          >> My mobile phone provider support two Internet connection.
          >> One is directly connected to the Internet but it doesn't support MMS,
          >> and another is connected to Internet through Web proxy/Socks server but it supports MMS.
          >>
          >> I try to use the second connection, but this software cannot connect APRS server. The first connection, it works.
          >>
          >> Hopefully, I want to use this on the first connection.
          >> Thanks.

          FUJIURA Toyonori mailto:toyokun@...
        • ae5pl
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
            --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, FUJIURA Toyonori <toyokun@...> wrote:

            > Thanks reply and I understood, but it is very inconvenience.
            > Because not only putty but also AGWTracker support it.
            > Please add it in your plan..
            >
            > My phone prover is EMOBILE.
            > http://www.gsmworld.com/Roaming/Gsminfo/net_jpem.shtml
            > And MMS connection requres the following settings.
            > wm.internal.emnet.ne.jp / 8080 (HTTP proxy) 1080 (Socks proxy)

            Fujiura,

            APRSISCE does not need to do anything to support the Socks proxy. It is "transparent" to the application. In other words, you don't do anything in putty or AGWTracker to accomodate the Socks proxy. It is up to you to ensure that the Socks proxy properly intercepts the port you are connecting to in APRS-IS as a telnet type port.

            The Socks proxy is very old technology put in place to help restrict normal non-HTTP TCP traffic. It affects all non-HTTP applications on a device and must be configured to allow individual port connections. My guess is that your cell phone provider uses it to restrict type of access to streaming sites and "banned" sites. It should not interfere with APRSISCE if AGWTrackerPocket works as they both use the same TCP socket API.

            73,

            Pete AE5PL
          • FUJIURA Toyonori
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
              Dear Pete,

              I didn't run both AGWTracker and APRSISCE same time.
              So why APRSISCE doesn't connect to APRS server?

              When I set proxy server in connection setting,
              is the socks handled by the socket API or the application like Pocket IE?
              If Socket API, I think the APRSISCE should run.
              If the application, I think the application support is needed.

              Thanks.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
                --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, FUJIURA Toyonori <toyokun@...> wrote:

                > I didn't run both AGWTracker and APRSISCE same time.
                > So why APRSISCE doesn't connect to APRS server?

                I can't answer that because see below...

                > When I set proxy server in connection setting,
                > is the socks handled by the socket API or the application like Pocket IE?
                > If Socket API, I think the APRSISCE should run.
                > If the application, I think the application support is needed.

                It is the socket API. The design of the Socks Proxy is to go between the TCP stack and the application and be invisible to the application. I don't know why AGWTracker connects and APRSISCE doesn't. I recommend looking closely at your server and port definitions in AGWTracker and APRSISCE and make sure they are exactly the same.

                73,

                Pete AE5PL
              • ae5pl
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2010
                  While the Socks proxy is supposed to be invisible, if APRSISCE is using NetTCPBinding it doesn't support proxies. Here is a quote from a Microsoft thread:

                  "I have a program written with .Net 2.0 by me using normal tcp sockets and which I can tunnel through socks proxy, but after upgrading to .NET 3.5 (and still using sockets) my used tool can't grab the traffic. I'm using "proxifier" but there are many other capture tools, also some free."

                  Maybe this will help Lynn. Socks proxies were supposed to be invisible to applications but with the continual evolution of TCP stacks, APIs, etc., there may be issues with certain configurations.

                  73,

                  Pete AE5PL