Re: [aprsisce] Re: Feature request

  • Kevin Groce
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 24 10:01 PM
      I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
      and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
      microcontroller.

      The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .

      It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
      the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.

      Kevin G

      No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 25 3:15 AM
        Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
        callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
        messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
        groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
        displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
        received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?

        This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
        simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
        APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
        rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
        the client.

        The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
        on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
        Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
        packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
        support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
        one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.

        Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
        APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
        password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
        people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

        Kevin Groce wrote:
        > I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
        > and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
        > microcontroller.
        >
        > The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .
        >
        > It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
        > the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.
        >
        > Kevin G
        >
        > No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

      • g4ilo
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 25 7:09 AM
          I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.

          If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

          Julian, G4ILO

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 25 8:01 AM
            g4ilo wrote:
            > I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.
            >
            > If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

            I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
            it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
            Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
            program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

            > Julian, G4ILO
            >
            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
            >> callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
            >> messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
            >> groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
            >> displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
            >> received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?
            >>
            >> This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
            >> simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
            >> APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
            >> rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
            >> the client.
            >>
            >> The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
            >> on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
            >> Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
            >> packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
            >> support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
            >> one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.
            >>
            >> Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
            >> APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
            >> password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
            >> people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

            >> Kevin Groce wrote:
            >>
            >>> I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
            >>> and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
            >>> microcontroller.
            >>>
            >>> The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .
            >>>
            >>> It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
            >>> the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.
            >>>
            >>> Kevin G
            >>>
            >>> No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

          • Fred Eckert
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 25 9:56 AM
              Lynn, This is wonderful news!

              When will you release a version with the pass-thru port? Is there any sample code available that illustraits a "simplistic" APRS packet parser? I have been reading the 101 spec and it doesn't look simple at all!

              I am hoping to get a quick and dirty text-to-speech message announcer working without learning all the gory details of the lowlevel protocol.

              73,
              Fred KJ4LFJ

              From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
              Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:15:24 -0400
              To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
              ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Feature request

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 25 10:12 AM

                > I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
                > it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
                > Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
                > program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

                Hmm. I guess I'll just have to wait and see but it seems to me that this will require something a bit more sophisticated than a scripting language to take advantage of.

                Julian, G4ILO
              • w7boz
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 12, 2010
                  Hi Lynn,
                  Something I would really like to see is the UI-View Add on of UI-Path implemented. Or aprs.fi has the same thing.... I really like to see where all the data paths are going. A nice little line going from point a to point b. Lets me see the network activity visualy. Plus it would be really great for the other features of UI-Path. Digipeater mapping, Webpage creation of paths etc. The main reason I stick with UI-View is the visual of UI-Path, and all of the other add ons that create web pages. See my site for ones I use.
                  Thanks, Kevin

                  http://www.qsl.net/w7boz
                  And click on the Aprs main tab.
                • Alan
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                    Hi Lynn,
                    I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.

                    It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.

                    If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.

                    I like your software, thanks!
                    Alan
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 3, 2011
                      Added to the ToDo list. Have no idea when it'll be done though!

                      Also, please remember that RFONLY and NOGATE are simply requests. Not
                      all APRS software and hardware honor is, so anything you transmit, you
                      must assume may make its way onto the Internet and/or be recorded and/or
                      published by anyone that managed to receive it. It certainly is no
                      guarantee of privacy or security, so IMHO, why bother? It's a false
                      sense of security.

                      PS. Honoring RFONLY and NOGATE are on the list for APRSISCE/32, but
                      even when I get that implemented, the received packets will still be
                      placed into trace log windows and *.PKT log files on whatever systems
                      may have received it directly.

                      Alan wrote:
                      > Hi Lynn,
                      > I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.
                      >
                      > It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.
                      >
                      > If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.
                      >
                      > I like your software, thanks!
                      > Alan

                    • Alan
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 8, 2011
                        Thanks Lynn!

                        While I'm begging for messaging features,
                        Quite often I notice I made a mistake just after pressing the send button. An instant Kill message button on the message pop-up screen would be great to stop a wayward message.

                        TNX,

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 22, 2011

                          Another easier asked for than done request I suspect

                          Any chance of being able to click on a callsign within a message and go to the location? Mostly for me thinking of clicking the balloon launch alert message and going to the balloon

                          I know there is a lot more to that to actually do it

                        • Greg Depew
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 16, 2012
                            Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                            KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE
                          • Greg Depew
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 17, 2012
                              BumpKB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                              Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                              KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 16, 2013

                                Linking to habitat so UK balloon launches can be viewed via APRSIS32

                                Due to UK restrictions on Amateur radio in the Air being not allowed, most flights use RTTY on SSB in the 70cm band.

                                Would be great to view the flights in APRSIS32 and maybe even select a flight to be sent from Habitat to the APRS system, these flights don’t number many

                                Steve Daniels

                                Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                Torbay Freecycle  Owner