Re: Feature request

  • KE6BB
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
      As g4ilo points out, simple ideas can be difficult to implement in the real world. I hope Lynn doesn't loose sight of the beautiful simplicity his program has. Although he would be the first to say that NONE of this is simple, he has kept the user exposure to complexity to a minimum.

      Mark
      KE6BB

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

      > Yes it would be cool. It would also be quite tricky to do...
    • Kevin Groce
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
        I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
        and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
        microcontroller.

        The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .

        It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
        the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.

        Kevin G

        No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
          Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
          callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
          messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
          groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
          displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
          received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?

          This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
          simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
          APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
          rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
          the client.

          The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
          on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
          Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
          packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
          support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
          one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.

          Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
          APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
          password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
          people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

          Kevin Groce wrote:
          > I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
          > and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
          > microcontroller.
          >
          > The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .
          >
          > It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
          > the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.
          >
          > Kevin G
          >
          > No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
            I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.

            If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

            Julian, G4ILO

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
              g4ilo wrote:
              > I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.
              >
              > If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

              I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
              it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
              Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
              program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

              > Julian, G4ILO
              >
              > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
              >> callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
              >> messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
              >> groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
              >> displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
              >> received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?
              >>
              >> This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
              >> simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
              >> APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
              >> rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
              >> the client.
              >>
              >> The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
              >> on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
              >> Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
              >> packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
              >> support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
              >> one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.
              >>
              >> Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
              >> APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
              >> password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
              >> people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

              >> Kevin Groce wrote:
              >>
              >>> I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
              >>> and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
              >>> microcontroller.
              >>>
              >>> The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .
              >>>
              >>> It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
              >>> the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.
              >>>
              >>> Kevin G
              >>>
              >>> No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

            • Fred Eckert
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                Lynn, This is wonderful news!

                When will you release a version with the pass-thru port? Is there any sample code available that illustraits a "simplistic" APRS packet parser? I have been reading the 101 spec and it doesn't look simple at all!

                I am hoping to get a quick and dirty text-to-speech message announcer working without learning all the gory details of the lowlevel protocol.

                73,
                Fred KJ4LFJ

                From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
                Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:15:24 -0400
                To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Feature request

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010

                  > I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
                  > it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
                  > Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
                  > program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

                  Hmm. I guess I'll just have to wait and see but it seems to me that this will require something a bit more sophisticated than a scripting language to take advantage of.

                  Julian, G4ILO
                • w7boz
                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 12, 2010
                    Hi Lynn,
                    Something I would really like to see is the UI-View Add on of UI-Path implemented. Or aprs.fi has the same thing.... I really like to see where all the data paths are going. A nice little line going from point a to point b. Lets me see the network activity visualy. Plus it would be really great for the other features of UI-Path. Digipeater mapping, Webpage creation of paths etc. The main reason I stick with UI-View is the visual of UI-Path, and all of the other add ons that create web pages. See my site for ones I use.
                    Thanks, Kevin

                    http://www.qsl.net/w7boz
                    And click on the Aprs main tab.
                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                      Hi Lynn,
                      I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.

                      It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.

                      If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.

                      I like your software, thanks!
                      Alan
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 3, 2011
                        Added to the ToDo list. Have no idea when it'll be done though!

                        Also, please remember that RFONLY and NOGATE are simply requests. Not
                        all APRS software and hardware honor is, so anything you transmit, you
                        must assume may make its way onto the Internet and/or be recorded and/or
                        published by anyone that managed to receive it. It certainly is no
                        guarantee of privacy or security, so IMHO, why bother? It's a false
                        sense of security.

                        PS. Honoring RFONLY and NOGATE are on the list for APRSISCE/32, but
                        even when I get that implemented, the received packets will still be
                        placed into trace log windows and *.PKT log files on whatever systems
                        may have received it directly.

                        Alan wrote:
                        > Hi Lynn,
                        > I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.
                        >
                        > It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.
                        >
                        > If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.
                        >
                        > I like your software, thanks!
                        > Alan

                      • Alan
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 8, 2011
                          Thanks Lynn!

                          While I'm begging for messaging features,
                          Quite often I notice I made a mistake just after pressing the send button. An instant Kill message button on the message pop-up screen would be great to stop a wayward message.

                          TNX,

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 22, 2011

                            Another easier asked for than done request I suspect

                            Any chance of being able to click on a callsign within a message and go to the location? Mostly for me thinking of clicking the balloon launch alert message and going to the balloon

                            I know there is a lot more to that to actually do it

                          • Greg Depew
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 16, 2012
                              Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                              KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE
                            • Greg Depew
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 17, 2012
                                BumpKB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                                KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                    aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 16 4:23 PM

                                  Linking to habitat so UK balloon launches can be viewed via APRSIS32

                                  Due to UK restrictions on Amateur radio in the Air being not allowed, most flights use RTTY on SSB in the 70cm band.

                                  Would be great to view the flights in APRSIS32 and maybe even select a flight to be sent from Habitat to the APRS system, these flights don’t number many

                                  Steve Daniels

                                  Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                  Torbay Freecycle  Owner