Re: Feature request

  • g4ilo
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
      Yes it would be cool. It would also be quite tricky to do, I imagine. I am thinking about the controversial ROS digital mode software which used email to send signal reports back to the originating station. It started off by just using a Gmail account, then because that was a problem for some people it implemented some Microsoft interface to sned using Outlook. Then because not everyone uses Outlook it also implemented a way to send using SMTP. But even that is tricky because of the different types of authentication used by ISPs to try to prevent spam. Now an Italian ham has discovered a security vulnerability whereby the feature could be used to send spam through the program. The question is whether Lynn would want to get into this potential minefield.

      My solution would be to have an option where incoming messages can be written to a text file and dumped to a folder. Then anyone who wants to can write a script that processes the messages and does whatever they want to, whether it is forward them to an email address, display them as an object or whatever, but it doesn't become Lynn's responsibility to support the varoius different ways of sending email.

      --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "KE6BB" <rv6amark@...> wrote:

      > So, if I understand this correctly, I could designate my call/ssid and my e-mail address and if a message goes to that call/ssid, APRSIS32 would send it to that e-mail address so that I could pick it up at a later time? That would be cool!
      >
      > Mark
      > KE6BB
      >
      > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <sbd64000@> wrote:
      > > So asked for the ability to send messgages to a callsign to email if
      > > required. So I can reply to messages when I get there.

    • KE6BB
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
        As g4ilo points out, simple ideas can be difficult to implement in the real world. I hope Lynn doesn't loose sight of the beautiful simplicity his program has. Although he would be the first to say that NONE of this is simple, he has kept the user exposure to complexity to a minimum.

        Mark
        KE6BB

        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

        > Yes it would be cool. It would also be quite tricky to do...
      • Kevin Groce
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
          I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
          and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
          microcontroller.

          The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .

          It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
          the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.

          Kevin G

          No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
            Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
            callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
            messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
            groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
            displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
            received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?

            This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
            simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
            APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
            rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
            the client.

            The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
            on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
            Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
            packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
            support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
            one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.

            Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
            APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
            password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
            people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
              I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.

              If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

              Julian, G4ILO

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                g4ilo wrote:
                > I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.
                >
                > If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

                I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
                it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
                Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
                program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

                > Julian, G4ILO
                >
                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
                >> callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
                >> messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
                >> groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
                >> displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
                >> received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?
                >>
                >> This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
                >> simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
                >> APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
                >> rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
                >> the client.
                >>
                >> The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
                >> on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
                >> Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
                >> packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
                >> support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
                >> one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.
                >>
                >> Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
                >> APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
                >> password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
                >> people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

                >> Kevin Groce wrote:
                >>
                >>> I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
                >>> and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
                >>> microcontroller.
                >>>
                >>> The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .
                >>>
                >>> It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
                >>> the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.
                >>>
                >>> Kevin G
                >>>
                >>> No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

              • Fred Eckert
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                  Lynn, This is wonderful news!

                  When will you release a version with the pass-thru port? Is there any sample code available that illustraits a "simplistic" APRS packet parser? I have been reading the 101 spec and it doesn't look simple at all!

                  I am hoping to get a quick and dirty text-to-speech message announcer working without learning all the gory details of the lowlevel protocol.

                  73,
                  Fred KJ4LFJ

                  From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
                  Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:15:24 -0400
                  To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Feature request

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010

                    > I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
                    > it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
                    > Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
                    > program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

                    Hmm. I guess I'll just have to wait and see but it seems to me that this will require something a bit more sophisticated than a scripting language to take advantage of.

                    Julian, G4ILO
                  • w7boz
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 12, 2010
                      Hi Lynn,
                      Something I would really like to see is the UI-View Add on of UI-Path implemented. Or aprs.fi has the same thing.... I really like to see where all the data paths are going. A nice little line going from point a to point b. Lets me see the network activity visualy. Plus it would be really great for the other features of UI-Path. Digipeater mapping, Webpage creation of paths etc. The main reason I stick with UI-View is the visual of UI-Path, and all of the other add ons that create web pages. See my site for ones I use.
                      Thanks, Kevin

                      http://www.qsl.net/w7boz
                      And click on the Aprs main tab.
                    • Alan
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                        Hi Lynn,
                        I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.

                        It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.

                        If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.

                        I like your software, thanks!
                        Alan
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 3, 2011
                          Added to the ToDo list. Have no idea when it'll be done though!

                          Also, please remember that RFONLY and NOGATE are simply requests. Not
                          all APRS software and hardware honor is, so anything you transmit, you
                          must assume may make its way onto the Internet and/or be recorded and/or
                          published by anyone that managed to receive it. It certainly is no
                          guarantee of privacy or security, so IMHO, why bother? It's a false
                          sense of security.

                          PS. Honoring RFONLY and NOGATE are on the list for APRSISCE/32, but
                          even when I get that implemented, the received packets will still be
                          placed into trace log windows and *.PKT log files on whatever systems
                          may have received it directly.

                          Alan wrote:
                          > Hi Lynn,
                          > I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.
                          >
                          > It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.
                          >
                          > If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.
                          >
                          > I like your software, thanks!
                          > Alan

                        • Alan
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 8, 2011
                            Thanks Lynn!

                            While I'm begging for messaging features,
                            Quite often I notice I made a mistake just after pressing the send button. An instant Kill message button on the message pop-up screen would be great to stop a wayward message.

                            TNX,

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 22, 2011

                              Another easier asked for than done request I suspect

                              Any chance of being able to click on a callsign within a message and go to the location? Mostly for me thinking of clicking the balloon launch alert message and going to the balloon

                              I know there is a lot more to that to actually do it

                            • Greg Depew
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 16, 2012
                                Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                                KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE
                              • Greg Depew
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 17, 2012
                                  BumpKB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                  Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                                  KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                      aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                      aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 16, 2013

                                    Linking to habitat so UK balloon launches can be viewed via APRSIS32

                                    Due to UK restrictions on Amateur radio in the Air being not allowed, most flights use RTTY on SSB in the 70cm band.

                                    Would be great to view the flights in APRSIS32 and maybe even select a flight to be sent from Habitat to the APRS system, these flights don’t number many

                                    Steve Daniels

                                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                    Torbay Freecycle  Owner