RE: [aprsisce] TT4 setup

    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
      In addition, I would probably get a USB hub and run both ports through it. Put the hub somewhere in the car that way only one connection has to be made when the laptop is removed.

      From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Fred Hillhouse

      Hi Rick,

      There are two ways to do this at least.

      First, use APRSIS32 with a port set to KISS and connect to the TT4. Also,
      use APRSIS32 and connect to the GPS.
      There is KISS only firmware that will run in the TT4. It may be useful.

      Second, would be to connect the GPS to the TT4 and laptop through a y-cable.
      The TT4 may then beacon on its own and APRSIS32 will beacon. My OT2 is
      running that way (when it is running)

      I think the first way is reasonable and I will probably do that with my TT4
      when I get the TT4 going again.

      Best regards,
      Fred

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
        A USB HUB that way I would have 2 diff port numbers? Not a Splitter right.
        Thanks very Much for your help.
        Rick

        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
          Yes, you will have two port numbers. You will have to figure out what the COMports are and possibly change them.

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010

            Just asked Lynn for a new feature on the messaging.

            I am sometimes away when people message, it get’s received by my home station but not by me if travelling, my car kit is tx only on the whole.

            When I get where I am going I can get back on aprs in RX/TX mode.

            So asked for the ability to send messgages to a callsign to email if required. So I can reply to messages when I get there.

            Steve

            G6UIM

            http://aprsis.ham-radio-op.net

          • KE6BB
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
              So, if I understand this correctly, I could designate my call/ssid and my e-mail address and if a message goes to that call/ssid, APRSIS32 would send it to that e-mail address so that I could pick it up at a later time? That would be cool!

              Mark
              KE6BB

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
                That works in APRSIS32. I am set up that way on my laptop. I use a USB GPS (Old Pharos 360 from MS Streets & Trips) and USB to Serial converter. The problem with Win Mo might be finding drivers for the GPS and Serial converter. I don't really have much experience with mobile devices...but I am learning. Sometimes the hard way!

                Mark
                KE6BB

                > Yes, you will have two port numbers. You will have to figure out what the
                > COMports are and possibly change them.
                >

                > _____

              • g4ilo
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
                  Yes it would be cool. It would also be quite tricky to do, I imagine. I am thinking about the controversial ROS digital mode software which used email to send signal reports back to the originating station. It started off by just using a Gmail account, then because that was a problem for some people it implemented some Microsoft interface to sned using Outlook. Then because not everyone uses Outlook it also implemented a way to send using SMTP. But even that is tricky because of the different types of authentication used by ISPs to try to prevent spam. Now an Italian ham has discovered a security vulnerability whereby the feature could be used to send spam through the program. The question is whether Lynn would want to get into this potential minefield.

                  My solution would be to have an option where incoming messages can be written to a text file and dumped to a folder. Then anyone who wants to can write a script that processes the messages and does whatever they want to, whether it is forward them to an email address, display them as an object or whatever, but it doesn't become Lynn's responsibility to support the varoius different ways of sending email.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
                    As g4ilo points out, simple ideas can be difficult to implement in the real world. I hope Lynn doesn't loose sight of the beautiful simplicity his program has. Although he would be the first to say that NONE of this is simple, he has kept the user exposure to complexity to a minimum.

                    Mark
                    KE6BB

                    --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

                    > Yes it would be cool. It would also be quite tricky to do...
                  • Kevin Groce
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
                      I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
                      and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
                      microcontroller.

                      The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .

                      It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
                      the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.

                      Kevin G

                      No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                        Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
                        callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
                        messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
                        groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
                        displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
                        received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?

                        This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
                        simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
                        APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
                        rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
                        the client.

                        The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
                        on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
                        Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
                        packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
                        support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
                        one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.

                        Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
                        APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
                        password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
                        people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                          I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.

                          If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

                          Julian, G4ILO

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                            g4ilo wrote:
                            > I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.
                            >
                            > If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

                            I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
                            it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
                            Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
                            program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

                            > Julian, G4ILO
                            >
                            > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
                            >> callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
                            >> messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
                            >> groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
                            >> displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
                            >> received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?
                            >>
                            >> This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
                            >> simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
                            >> APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
                            >> rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
                            >> the client.
                            >>
                            >> The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
                            >> on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
                            >> Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
                            >> packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
                            >> support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
                            >> one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.
                            >>
                            >> Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
                            >> APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
                            >> password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
                            >> people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

                            >> Kevin Groce wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
                            >>> and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
                            >>> microcontroller.
                            >>>
                            >>> The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .
                            >>>
                            >>> It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
                            >>> the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.
                            >>>
                            >>> Kevin G
                            >>>
                            >>> No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

                          • Fred Eckert
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                              Lynn, This is wonderful news!

                              When will you release a version with the pass-thru port? Is there any sample code available that illustraits a "simplistic" APRS packet parser? I have been reading the 101 spec and it doesn't look simple at all!

                              I am hoping to get a quick and dirty text-to-speech message announcer working without learning all the gory details of the lowlevel protocol.

                              73,
                              Fred KJ4LFJ

                              From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
                              Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:15:24 -0400
                              To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                              ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                              Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Feature request

                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010

                                > I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
                                > it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
                                > Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
                                > program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

                                Hmm. I guess I'll just have to wait and see but it seems to me that this will require something a bit more sophisticated than a scripting language to take advantage of.

                                Julian, G4ILO
                              • w7boz
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 12, 2010
                                  Hi Lynn,
                                  Something I would really like to see is the UI-View Add on of UI-Path implemented. Or aprs.fi has the same thing.... I really like to see where all the data paths are going. A nice little line going from point a to point b. Lets me see the network activity visualy. Plus it would be really great for the other features of UI-Path. Digipeater mapping, Webpage creation of paths etc. The main reason I stick with UI-View is the visual of UI-Path, and all of the other add ons that create web pages. See my site for ones I use.
                                  Thanks, Kevin

                                  http://www.qsl.net/w7boz
                                  And click on the Aprs main tab.
                                • Alan
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                                    Hi Lynn,
                                    I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.

                                    It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.

                                    If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.

                                    I like your software, thanks!
                                    Alan
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 3, 2011
                                      Added to the ToDo list. Have no idea when it'll be done though!

                                      Also, please remember that RFONLY and NOGATE are simply requests. Not
                                      all APRS software and hardware honor is, so anything you transmit, you
                                      must assume may make its way onto the Internet and/or be recorded and/or
                                      published by anyone that managed to receive it. It certainly is no
                                      guarantee of privacy or security, so IMHO, why bother? It's a false
                                      sense of security.

                                      PS. Honoring RFONLY and NOGATE are on the list for APRSISCE/32, but
                                      even when I get that implemented, the received packets will still be
                                      placed into trace log windows and *.PKT log files on whatever systems
                                      may have received it directly.

                                      Alan wrote:
                                      > Hi Lynn,
                                      > I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.
                                      >
                                      > It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.
                                      >
                                      > If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.
                                      >
                                      > I like your software, thanks!
                                      > Alan

                                    • Alan
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 8, 2011
                                        Thanks Lynn!

                                        While I'm begging for messaging features,
                                        Quite often I notice I made a mistake just after pressing the send button. An instant Kill message button on the message pop-up screen would be great to stop a wayward message.

                                        TNX,

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 22 1:14 PM

                                          Another easier asked for than done request I suspect

                                          Any chance of being able to click on a callsign within a message and go to the location? Mostly for me thinking of clicking the balloon launch alert message and going to the balloon

                                          I know there is a lot more to that to actually do it

                                        • Greg Depew
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 16 8:22 PM
                                            Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                                            KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE
                                          • Greg Depew
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 17 9:01 AM
                                              BumpKB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                              Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                                              KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                              <*> Your email settings:
                                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                                  aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                  aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 16, 2013

                                                Linking to habitat so UK balloon launches can be viewed via APRSIS32

                                                Due to UK restrictions on Amateur radio in the Air being not allowed, most flights use RTTY on SSB in the 70cm band.

                                                Would be great to view the flights in APRSIS32 and maybe even select a flight to be sent from Habitat to the APRS system, these flights don’t number many

                                                Steve Daniels

                                                Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                                Torbay Freecycle  Owner