Re: [aprsisce] TT4 setup

  • kd4dra
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
      Hi Fred
      Let me see if I understand the first way, I would be using a GPS on one usb port and the TT4/Radio connected to another.
      Rick

      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
        OK that makes sense

        From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
        Of Fred Hillhouse

        Hi Rick,

        There are two ways to do this at least.

        First, use APRSIS32 with a port set to KISS and connect to the TT4. Also,
        use APRSIS32 and connect to the GPS.
        There is KISS only firmware that will run in the TT4. It may be useful.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
          In addition, I would probably get a USB hub and run both ports through it. Put the hub somewhere in the car that way only one connection has to be made when the laptop is removed.

          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
            A USB HUB that way I would have 2 diff port numbers? Not a Splitter right.
            Thanks very Much for your help.
            Rick

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
              Yes, you will have two port numbers. You will have to figure out what the COMports are and possibly change them.

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010

                Just asked Lynn for a new feature on the messaging.

                I am sometimes away when people message, it get’s received by my home station but not by me if travelling, my car kit is tx only on the whole.

                When I get where I am going I can get back on aprs in RX/TX mode.

                So asked for the ability to send messgages to a callsign to email if required. So I can reply to messages when I get there.

                Steve

                G6UIM

                http://aprsis.ham-radio-op.net

              • KE6BB
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
                  So, if I understand this correctly, I could designate my call/ssid and my e-mail address and if a message goes to that call/ssid, APRSIS32 would send it to that e-mail address so that I could pick it up at a later time? That would be cool!

                  Mark
                  KE6BB

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 23, 2010
                    That works in APRSIS32. I am set up that way on my laptop. I use a USB GPS (Old Pharos 360 from MS Streets & Trips) and USB to Serial converter. The problem with Win Mo might be finding drivers for the GPS and Serial converter. I don't really have much experience with mobile devices...but I am learning. Sometimes the hard way!

                    Mark
                    KE6BB

                    > Yes, you will have two port numbers. You will have to figure out what the
                    > COMports are and possibly change them.
                    >

                    > _____

                  • g4ilo
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
                      Yes it would be cool. It would also be quite tricky to do, I imagine. I am thinking about the controversial ROS digital mode software which used email to send signal reports back to the originating station. It started off by just using a Gmail account, then because that was a problem for some people it implemented some Microsoft interface to sned using Outlook. Then because not everyone uses Outlook it also implemented a way to send using SMTP. But even that is tricky because of the different types of authentication used by ISPs to try to prevent spam. Now an Italian ham has discovered a security vulnerability whereby the feature could be used to send spam through the program. The question is whether Lynn would want to get into this potential minefield.

                      My solution would be to have an option where incoming messages can be written to a text file and dumped to a folder. Then anyone who wants to can write a script that processes the messages and does whatever they want to, whether it is forward them to an email address, display them as an object or whatever, but it doesn't become Lynn's responsibility to support the varoius different ways of sending email.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
                        As g4ilo points out, simple ideas can be difficult to implement in the real world. I hope Lynn doesn't loose sight of the beautiful simplicity his program has. Although he would be the first to say that NONE of this is simple, he has kept the user exposure to complexity to a minimum.

                        Mark
                        KE6BB

                        --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

                        > Yes it would be cool. It would also be quite tricky to do...
                      • Kevin Groce
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 24, 2010
                          I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
                          and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
                          microcontroller.

                          The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .

                          It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
                          the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.

                          Kevin G

                          No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                            Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
                            callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
                            messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
                            groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
                            displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
                            received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?

                            This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
                            simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
                            APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
                            rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
                            the client.

                            The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
                            on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
                            Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
                            packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
                            support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
                            one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.

                            Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
                            APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
                            password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
                            people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                              I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.

                              If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

                              Julian, G4ILO

                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                                g4ilo wrote:
                                > I would make it work for all messages that your filter was set up to receive, unless you wanted to add a separate filter to further refine the selection.
                                >
                                > If the option was enabled I would write each message to a separate file with a time stamp in the filename. That would make it easy for the process that reads them to process them in order and delete the files once it has read them without getting into conflicts with read/write access and so on.

                                I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
                                it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
                                Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
                                program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

                                > Julian, G4ILO
                                >
                                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Would this be messages only directly addressed to the current
                                >> callsign-ssid (the ones that would be ack'd by the program), all
                                >> messages to the base callsign (My Messages), all messages to the message
                                >> groups (internal and user-configured), or all messages received and
                                >> displayed (Eavesdrop)? If the file still exists when a new message is
                                >> received, should it be overwritten with the latest or appended to?
                                >>
                                >> This, along with many of the other requests, will be very do-able with a
                                >> simplistic APRS packet parser connected to the soon-to-be-provided local
                                >> APRS-IS pass-through feed. That is actually my planned implementation
                                >> rather than having "this packet" and "that packet" switching going on in
                                >> the client.
                                >>
                                >> The pass-through will support multiple simultaneous incoming connections
                                >> on a single port. Initially, everything that comes in will go out.
                                >> Eventually, I plan to support APRS-IS authentication to accept incoming
                                >> packets for forwarding to the APRS-IS network. I also plan filter
                                >> support (or some subset thereof) that will allow local programs like the
                                >> one above to do filters like b/KJ4ERJ-12 and/or t/m.
                                >>
                                >> Please consider security in your external app as well. Remember, every
                                >> APRS message is sent in-the-clear, so some sort of rotating, single-use,
                                >> password scheme would probably be required. Unless you want random
                                >> people controlling your power bill by cranking the thermostat to extremes.

                                >> Kevin Groce wrote:
                                >>
                                >>> I would love the option to dump current incoming messages t o a file
                                >>> and then have a processing script take action with an Arduino
                                >>> microcontroller.
                                >>>
                                >>> The idea came from this program: http://www.mikmo.dk/gobetwino.html .
                                >>>
                                >>> It would be neat to say monitor a temperature and then a command to
                                >>> the uC to change the temperature on a thermostat.
                                >>>
                                >>> Kevin G
                                >>>
                                >>> No Reservations -- Anthony Bourdain

                              • Fred Eckert
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010
                                  Lynn, This is wonderful news!

                                  When will you release a version with the pass-thru port? Is there any sample code available that illustraits a "simplistic" APRS packet parser? I have been reading the 101 spec and it doesn't look simple at all!

                                  I am hoping to get a quick and dirty text-to-speech message announcer working without learning all the gory details of the lowlevel protocol.

                                  73,
                                  Fred KJ4LFJ

                                  From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
                                  Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 06:15:24 -0400
                                  To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
                                  ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
                                  Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Feature request

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 25, 2010

                                    > I read the link to the tool mentioned in the original post and I suspect
                                    > it would have difficulty with variably-named files like timestamps.
                                    > Besides, I'm going to let the filing and filtering up to whatever
                                    > program connects to the APRS-IS feed-through port.

                                    Hmm. I guess I'll just have to wait and see but it seems to me that this will require something a bit more sophisticated than a scripting language to take advantage of.

                                    Julian, G4ILO
                                  • w7boz
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 12, 2010
                                      Hi Lynn,
                                      Something I would really like to see is the UI-View Add on of UI-Path implemented. Or aprs.fi has the same thing.... I really like to see where all the data paths are going. A nice little line going from point a to point b. Lets me see the network activity visualy. Plus it would be really great for the other features of UI-Path. Digipeater mapping, Webpage creation of paths etc. The main reason I stick with UI-View is the visual of UI-Path, and all of the other add ons that create web pages. See my site for ones I use.
                                      Thanks, Kevin

                                      http://www.qsl.net/w7boz
                                      And click on the Aprs main tab.
                                    • Alan
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 2, 2011
                                        Hi Lynn,
                                        I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.

                                        It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.

                                        If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.

                                        I like your software, thanks!
                                        Alan
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 3, 2011
                                          Added to the ToDo list. Have no idea when it'll be done though!

                                          Also, please remember that RFONLY and NOGATE are simply requests. Not
                                          all APRS software and hardware honor is, so anything you transmit, you
                                          must assume may make its way onto the Internet and/or be recorded and/or
                                          published by anyone that managed to receive it. It certainly is no
                                          guarantee of privacy or security, so IMHO, why bother? It's a false
                                          sense of security.

                                          PS. Honoring RFONLY and NOGATE are on the list for APRSISCE/32, but
                                          even when I get that implemented, the received packets will still be
                                          placed into trace log windows and *.PKT log files on whatever systems
                                          may have received it directly.

                                          Alan wrote:
                                          > Hi Lynn,
                                          > I like the message option Send RF and Send IS, but want to also control the RF path and even be able to keep some RF messages out of IS.
                                          >
                                          > It would be real nice if the send message box had an editable path box. It would make it easy to send messages using different RF paths tailored to the recipient. If I wanted to send a RF message to someone that can receive the same Digi South of me, I could address it through that digi call rather than send it out in all directions.
                                          >
                                          > If I wanted to send an OT2 command message to an OT2 digi. I could send using a directed path like through Bogus ridge Digi, blocked from IS with RFONLY in the path. Something like: To:OT2DIG, Path Text box:BOGUS,RFONLY Text box: CMD TXDELAY 21.
                                          >
                                          > I like your software, thanks!
                                          > Alan

                                        • Alan
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 8, 2011
                                            Thanks Lynn!

                                            While I'm begging for messaging features,
                                            Quite often I notice I made a mistake just after pressing the send button. An instant Kill message button on the message pop-up screen would be great to stop a wayward message.

                                            TNX,

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 22, 2011

                                              Another easier asked for than done request I suspect

                                              Any chance of being able to click on a callsign within a message and go to the location? Mostly for me thinking of clicking the balloon launch alert message and going to the balloon

                                              I know there is a lot more to that to actually do it

                                            • Greg Depew
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jun 16, 2012
                                                Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                                                KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE
                                              • Greg Depew
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jun 17, 2012
                                                  BumpKB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                                  Wondering if its possible to add acks to query messages so that when I send ? to an aprs32 client I get all of them not just what was luckily decoded. Example: driving down the road in a bad area for digital coverage yet enough to get a message out. I receive 4/4 but not 1 2 or 3. If they we ack'able I would receive them in order and get all of them.

                                                  KB3KBR Greg Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

                                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                                      aprsisce-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                      aprsisce-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 16 4:23 PM

                                                    Linking to habitat so UK balloon launches can be viewed via APRSIS32

                                                    Due to UK restrictions on Amateur radio in the Air being not allowed, most flights use RTTY on SSB in the 70cm band.

                                                    Would be great to view the flights in APRSIS32 and maybe even select a flight to be sent from Habitat to the APRS system, these flights don’t number many

                                                    Steve Daniels

                                                    Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM

                                                    Torbay Freecycle  Owner