Windows Phone 7 Series OS - will it work?

  • Fred Eckert
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2010
      Will aprsisce run on a phone equip with the Windows Phone 7 Series mobile operating system?

      I flew back from Seattle today and the Microsoft chap I was sitting next to said: "You should wait a few months if you are going to get a smartphone with Windows. The new OS is coming out." New OS?!?!?! Next thing I know, I am up all night reading about technology... You gotta love it...

      73,
      Fred KJ4LFJ
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 22, 2010
        From what I've read and heard about Windows 7, I have no idea. I just
        know that I probably won't be moving to it anytime soon. It seems like
        they're closing up the platform, reducing it's functionality, and
        dumbing it down for use by the average iPhone-jaded consumer. If you
        get a Windows Phone 7 device, load it up and let us know.

        Fred Eckert wrote:
        > Will aprsisce run on a phone equip with the Windows Phone 7 Series mobile operating system?
        >
        > I flew back from Seattle today and the Microsoft chap I was sitting next to said: "You should wait a few months if you are going to get a smartphone with Windows. The new OS is coming out." New OS?!?!?! Next thing I know, I am up all night reading about technology... You gotta love it...
        >
        > 73,
        > Fred KJ4LFJ

      • Fred Eckert
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 22, 2010
          I don't have access to an actual Phone 7 phone but, I do see that the "phone developer tools beta" was released last month. I will see if I can get it to run in the emulator. I'll report back with an update.

          Fred KJ4LFJ

          From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...>
          Sender: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 12:02:41 -0400
          To: <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Windows Phone 7 Series OS - will it work?

          From what I've read and heard about Windows 7, I have no idea. I just

          Fred Eckert wrote:

          > Will aprsisce run on a phone equip with the Windows Phone 7 Series mobile operating system?
          >
          > I flew back from Seattle today and the Microsoft chap I was sitting next to said: "You should wait a few months if you are going to get a smartphone with Windows. The new OS is coming out." New OS?!?!?! Next thing I know, I am up all night reading about technology... You gotta love it...
          >
          > 73,
          > Fred KJ4LFJ

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 22, 2010

            Hi All,

            If you are using the development version of aprsis32 Lynn has fixed the lowercase ack and £ bugs.

            Lynn, Dave 2E0JXE and myself have tested it.

            Lynn is unable to upload it to his server right now, but it is available for download on the aprsis forum. Obviously it will be available via the about button as soon as Lynn is able to upload it.

            In the mean time you can download and copy it over the existing exe.

            If you hit about you will be asked to downgrade until Lynn has it on the server.

            Thanks to Lynn for breaking into his holiday to fix.

            Link to forum is below

            Steve

            G6UIM

            http://aprsis.ham-radio-op.net

          • Fred Eckert
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 22, 2010
              I got the emulator to run but it is very restricted. I am able to navigate to the yahoo group and open the file APRSISCE6P100820.zip. When I launch the APRSISCE6P.EXE contained in the zip nothing happens.

              I did a bunch of reading on the MSDN forums and it appears that this OS will not run legacy applications. The statement was made by some MVPs that "You cannot run any native code on WP7". Lynn correct me if I am wrong but, this means to me that only .NET CIL code is supported and aprsisce will not run.

              Thanks,
              Fred KJ4LFJ

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 22, 2010
                Yes, you are correct. APRSISCE is native code and as such, apparently,
                will not work on Windows Phone 7.

                Fred Eckert wrote:
                > I got the emulator to run but it is very restricted. I am able to navigate to the yahoo group and open the file APRSISCE6P100820.zip. When I launch the APRSISCE6P.EXE contained in the zip nothing happens.
                >
                > I did a bunch of reading on the MSDN forums and it appears that this OS will not run legacy applications. The statement was made by some MVPs that "You cannot run any native code on WP7". Lynn correct me if I am wrong but, this means to me that only .NET CIL code is supported and aprsisce will not run.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Fred KJ4LFJ
                >

                > --- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Eckert" <fredeckert@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I don't have access to an actual Phone 7 phone but, I do see that the "phone developer tools beta" was released last month. I will see if I can get it to run in the emulator. I'll report back with an update.
                >>
                >> Fred KJ4LFJ

              • g4ilo
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
                  That is a shame, since I guess it is only a matter of time before that is the only type of Windows phone you will be able to get.

                  Typical of Microsoft to care nothing about backward compatibility on the assumption that just like them application developers are all making megabucks from their software and can afford to rewrite it to accommodate whatever changes they make.

                  Julian, G4ILO

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
                    I wonder why Microsoft appears to be so anti-green. Planned obsolescence is not really that good.

                    They need to move from the GREEN state!

                    Best regards,
                    Fred

                    That is a shame, since I guess it is only a matter of time before that is the only type of Windows phone you will be able to get.

                    Typical of Microsoft to care nothing about backward compatibility on the assumption that just like them application developers are all making megabucks from their software and can afford to rewrite it to accommodate whatever changes they make.

                    Julian, G4ILO

                    > Yes, you are correct. APRSISCE is native code and as such, apparently,
                    > will not work on Windows Phone 7.

                  • Greg D.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 23, 2010
                      Hi Fred,

                      I'm not much of a Microsoft lover, this message being sent from my OpenSuSE Linux PC, but they may have done the right thing in this case.  By requiring backwards compatibility, the Windows 7 Desktop software has sooo much baggage and kludges and complexity, that it's become a bloated monster, kept alive only by the graces of Moore's Law.  For the phone, it may be (and I have no evidence or knowledge of this one way or the other) that they had to make a clean break with the past in order to build what they needed.  I fully expect that deep in the bowels of Phone 7 is still the core of WinCE.  I understand that it's actually a pretty robust little O/S.  It's just that they put a sucky user interface on top of it.  Given how different the new UI is (and needs to be), to be compatible with that and move the whole experience forward might have been too much.

                      A fresh start is needed, sometimes.  Then maybe in a few years when Moore's law has a chance to catch its breath, they'll add a WinMobile virtual machine to run in one of the half-dozen CPU cores.  I have a Palm VM running in my Nokia Tablet, for example.  In fact, it runs better than on the original hardware.  Just a thought,

                      Greg  KO6TH

                      To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

                      That is a shame, since I guess it is only a matter of time before that is the only type of Windows phone you will be able to get.

                      Typical of Microsoft to care nothing about backward compatibility on the assumption that just like them application developers are all making megabucks from their software and can afford to rewrite it to accommodate whatever changes they make.

                      Julian, G4ILO

                      > Yes, you are correct. APRSISCE is native code and as such, apparently,
                      > will not work on Windows Phone 7.

                    • h0chus_p0ckus
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 24, 2010
                        "Typical of Microsoft to care nothing about backward compatibility "

                        Not that I love MS, but I'm told they threw out the old code base and started from scratch for "WinPhone7" because they realized the old code base simply couldn't be rehashed into a competitive product, compared to iPhone and Android. For performance and security reasons.
                        This isn't the first time they've gone to a new code base, they threw out the DOS4 "spaghetti code" because it had been patched so many times it wasn't worth keeping, and they threw out the NT code base after NT5.1 (XP) supposedly because major parts of it could simply never be made secure.

                        I've never heard anyone call WinME an impressive product. I haven't heard any ehtusiastic buzz about WinPhone7 either.

                        Then there's Palm, who threw out their entire user base when they went to WebOS for the Pre and Pixi. Everyone loves them--except their old user base. Ooops. [Chorus, singing: "Won't get fooled again."]

                        All good reasons to think about porting & migrating to...Android perhaps?

                        --Red
                      • h0chus_p0ckus
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 24, 2010
                          Greg-
                          "By requiring backwards compatibility, the Windows 7 Desktop software "
                          Not to worry, some of the baggage has already been tombstoned. You may notice that a lot (A LOT) of the new laptops and significant number of the new desktops show with 64-bit versions of Win7. They've been doing that since Vista actually.
                          The 64-bit code base has dropped the 16-bit "thunker" code emulator, and the old 16-bit software can't be run on the 64-bit versions. MS had already dropped some baggage when it released Vista, and they took flack over that and relented by including the virtual XP machine as an emulator in Windows7. (It was available for Vista, but not built in.) The market wanted the old stuff back. But as far back as the mid-90's, MS was warning programmers to write 32-bit clean NT code because that's all that would be supported. And they've really only sold 32-bit NT OSes for most of the past decade, so dropping the baggage shouldn't be real hard.

                          Whether they can write a sweet smartphone OS, that's a whole other question, isn't it? I understand they're giving away "Kin"s as paperweights, they screwed that one up very nicely.

                          --Red