gpx file issues

  • ka0azs
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10, 2014
    I am attempting to build a route overlay for use at Net Control for an upcoming Bike MS event.

    I built the route and exported it as a .gpx file using Garmin's BaseCamp software.

    When I upload it to APRSIS32 sections of the course are straight lines, ignoring the road route.

    The same .gpx file uploaded to the GPS visualizer website as a test show the proper routing.

    I am using APRSIS32 version build 2012/08/30 09:19, which shows as "Current Version Verified!"

    Screen shots attached.

    Thoughts or suggestions?

    73

    Randy
    KAØAZS
  • Mike George
    Message 2 of 6 , Aug 10, 2014
      Randy:

      The gpx format stores a route as a sequence of points.
      APRSIS really isn't mapping software so it probably isn't attempting
      to attach the points to the underlying polylines representing the roads
      on the map.  On the map it just displays routes  as straight lines connecting
      the points.  The mapping software you are exporting from probably only
      outputs a minimal number of  points near intersections where it has to
      decide between different roads.

      You would have to build your route using enough points to approximate
      the path of the road on the map.  You would want a point on every
      intersection and at every corner.  On curves you would enough points
      to approximate the curve at whatever zoom level you intend to use.

      When you create your route see if your software has any options controlling
      the number of points created.  Something like a maximum distance between
      points.  If not, you may need to manually add vias in the route to trace out the
      roads better.  I'm not familiar with the software you are exporting from so I
      don't have specific suggestions.

      Mike
      N3MUY

      Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10, 2014
        On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM, ka0azs@... [aprsisce]
        <aprsisce@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > I am attempting to build a route overlay for use at Net Control for an upcoming Bike MS event.
        >
        > I built the route and exported it as a .gpx file using Garmin's BaseCamp software.
        >
        > When I upload it to APRSIS32 sections of the course are straight lines, ignoring the road route.
        >
        > The same .gpx file uploaded to the GPS visualizer website as a test show the proper routing.
        >
        > I am using APRSIS32 version build 2012/08/30 09:19, which shows as "Current Version Verified!"
        >
        > Screen shots attached.
        >
        > Thoughts or suggestions?

        Did you notice the blue flags on the GPS Visualizer screen shot? Have
        a look at the APRSISCE/32 screenshot. Every blue flag in the GPS
        Visualizer screenshot matches up with every vertex in the APRSISCE/32
        screenshot.

        APRSISCE/32 does not do any special route tracing with GPX files. It
        takes the defined vertices and uses them to draw a polygon. If you
        want a GPX trace to follow roads in APRSISCE/32, you'll need to define
        ALL of the segments along the desired roads.

        APRSISCE/32 uses map tiles, which are just basically background
        decoration. There is no information about the roads or other features
        available in the tiles.

        There actually is one point missing in Morrow in the APRSISCE/32
        screenshot... no explanation for that!
      • Steve
        Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2014
          I have found that the easiest method of getting the route is to set my gps up to do tracks. After finishing the drive, import the track file and import the resulting gpx file into aprsisce.

          Steve
          KA5YFC

        • Bob Harris
          Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10, 2014
          Randy,

          An alternate approach. Many bike events have the courses mapped on www.mapmyride.com. You might want to see if the course for your event is there. If it is, you can download a gpx files of the course and use that with aprsisce.

          I think you may have to register (create an account) on mapmyride to download routes but it is free.

          --

          Bob Harris (K9UDX)
          Longmeadow Bradford Torrey CD (2001-2014)

        • k9drh
          Message 6 of 6 , Aug 11, 2014
            What I find works best is use the cue sheets from the event and create the routes in ridewithgps. Make sure to check follow road and then export the gpx file. The mapmyride sometimes has error in it if the person making the file forgot they made a mistake and turned the wrong way and had to back track. `I trust only my own created overlays.
            just food for thought, another possibility.

            73 Dave K9DRH